Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are moving to Greensboro this summer. The company is in 27405. We are looking for a nice area to raise our family with 2 kids. One of them is going to middle school next year. We are looking for a house under 400k, good school, newer house and not to far to everything (markets, doctor, school, airport..). We dont mind to drive <30min to work. We were driving around some areas last week Summerfield, Stokesdale, Kernerville, North High Point, Jamestown and Reidsville. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 07:30 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
My answer would be:

-Irving Park, Fisher Park or Latham Park area. I see plenty of good homes under 400k in these neighborhoods. They are walkable, big and beautiful.. old money, but really cool. Great proximity to everything.

-Jamestown. Cute downtown. Nice, polished area with good hiking. Cheaper area, new construction is well below 250k for a townhome.

-Summerfield/Oak Ridge are also nice communities, but very 'out there'. If you like that lifestyle, it would be ideal.

-Anything in the 27410 or 27455 neighborhood. It just is nice.

I wouldn't advise going too far out to these far flung towns.. stay closer to amenities and urbanity.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
There's no need to live outside Greensboro unless you just want to. Traffic is rarely a problem.

I live in 27408. I grew up in Greensboro (Green Valley), now I'm retired here (Garden Homes. Feel free to send a message if you have questions.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
There's no need to live outside Greensboro unless you just want to. Traffic is rarely a problem.

I live in 27408. I grew up in Greensboro (Green Valley), now I'm retired here (Garden Homes. Feel free to send a message if you have questions.
^ Good advice.

27410 and 27408 are great. But check anything due north of Downtown, thats the best part of Greensboro.

Anything far flung is meh and dull and it gets country real fast

Old 05-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
^ Good advice.

27410 and 27408 are great. But check anything due north of Downtown, thats the best part of Greensboro.

Anything far flung is meh and dull and it gets country real fast
Right. REAL fast.

I think sometimes people who move from larger cities think they need to be in a suburb to get a yard. That's not so in Greensboro, which is one of the many things I like about it. Another thing I like is easy traffic. After years in both DC and Charleston this is nothing.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Right. REAL fast.

I think sometimes people who move from larger cities think they need to be in a suburb to get a yard. That's not so in Greensboro, which is one of the many things I like about it. Another thing I like is easy traffic. After years in both DC and Charleston this is nothing.
Yeah Greensboro only has traffic in two places.. Battleground, and Wendover. Thats about it. The highways and roads close to downtown are free.

But I think a lot of people also just don't understand how Greensboro developed.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,849 times
Thank you so much for sending me a lot of info. I appreciate that. We need good public schools, quite neighborhood, a good commute and easy access to go markets. We don’t need a large yard because it will need us to spend a tons of time to take care. Just enough yard for the kids is great ;-) . We need more times for the family and relax.

Do you have any ideas about the Kernodle Middle School / Western High as we compare to Northwest and Northern Guildford Middle/High and Grimpsley High? Some areas under zipcode 27410 go to Kernodle and Western from what I am searching.

How about Southeast Middle/High School & Southwest Guilford?

Thanks again!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 4,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2tkpkusc View Post
Thank you so much for sending me a lot of info. I appreciate that. We need good public schools, quite neighborhood, a good commute and easy access to go markets. We don’t need a large yard because it will need us to spend a tons of time to take care. Just enough yard for the kids is great ;-) . We need more times for the family and relax.

Do you have any ideas about the Kernodle Middle School / Western High as we compare to Northwest and Northern Guildford Middle/High and Grimpsley High? Some areas under zipcode 27410 go to Kernodle and Western from what I am searching.

How about Southeast Middle/High School & Southwest Guilford?

Thanks again!

When looking at the schools in GCS it really depends on what you're looking for. All those schools are good in their own right, but very different. Northwest has little diversity (95% white) but is nonetheless a good school. Northern has some more diversity, but no big programs to call home about. Grimsley is a very diverse school, and has good AP and IB programming. Western would be the "lowest" ranked out of those schools, but does have a good AP Capstone program. SE and SW Middle are going to be decent schools, but are "meh" at the HS level. It can get country real quick in those areas. Kernodle, Kiser, and Northern are all good Middle Schools. At the HS Level, students can also apply to Early/Middle Colleges, Academies, AP/IB programs at other schools than their own, so take that into consideration also. I live in 27408 (Green Valley) and have an easy commute everywhere, a nice yard, am walkable to things, and district to Kiser/Grimsley, which IMO should be the most desirable schools in the county.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsooo View Post
When looking at the schools in GCS it really depends on what you're looking for. All those schools are good in their own right, but very different. Northwest has little diversity (95% white) but is nonetheless a good school. Northern has some more diversity, but no big programs to call home about. Grimsley is a very diverse school, and has good AP and IB programming. Western would be the "lowest" ranked out of those schools, but does have a good AP Capstone program. SE and SW Middle are going to be decent schools, but are "meh" at the HS level. It can get country real quick in those areas. Kernodle, Kiser, and Northern are all good Middle Schools. At the HS Level, students can also apply to Early/Middle Colleges, Academies, AP/IB programs at other schools than their own, so take that into consideration also. I live in 27408 (Green Valley) and have an easy commute everywhere, a nice yard, am walkable to things, and district to Kiser/Grimsley, which IMO should be the most desirable schools in the county.
Hey neighbor! Onslow Drive was where my family home was located. We walked to the pool in summer.

Old 05-20-2021, 03:08 PM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
I second the Jamestown area. It’s a wonderful community that’s close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point