U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,878 times

Advertisements

I am considering interviewing for a job at Cummings High School and I am moving from Ohio with no background knowledge of the area or school system. The official school website doesn't have a lot of information. Can anyone help with information on the school or area to help make this decision?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM

48 posts, read 214,166 times
Default Cummings High School

Hi, I have lived in the Alamance area for over 10 years and relocated from NJ. When I first moved here people told me to stay away from the area you are looking at. Many years ago it used to be "THE" area to live in. Everything has since moved to the west side of town. The area you are looking at has older homes. The people who have stayed remember how nice it once was. Most have sold and moved on. The people in there now have problems selling their homes due to the location and crime rate. The Cummings High School has a high drop-out rate. The last time I read anything about Cummings it was somewhere between 50-75% and the student population is mostly African American. A nice school to be a teacher in would be Western.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,565,084 times
If you want to teach high school in Alamance Co. then I'd suggest Williams.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,750 times
Default Personal Experience

When I saw your post, I felt I should offer my opinion. I taught at Cummings for two terms a few years back. No doubt, if you research the school very much, you'll run into some negative opinions. Cummings certainly has more than its fair share of problems, but depending on the type of person you are, they may or may not be a reason to write it off.

In all honesty, it is very challenging to teach at Cummings. The majority of the problems relate to constant, persistent behavioral problems. Most days, I felt more like a cop than I did a teacher. To be successful in this environment, you have to be hard-nosed, confident, decisive, and dominant. I'm sure it's true in any school, but especially true for Cummings: From day one, you have to be very tough and never threaten something you're not willing to make good on, and if you keep it up long enough, things will get easier once you've convinced the troublemakers, and you'll have more time to spend helping the students who do care and are trying. Of course, the battle for respect starts all over again once you step out of the classroom and into the hallway.

I can't say enough about my fellow faculty members. I worked with some of the finest people I've ever met at Cummings. I could have never made it through without the constant support of my fellow teachers. While I can't speak as highly of the administration at the time or the school system, I feel certain that someone coming in would receive the same invaluable support from a community of talented professionals.

In short, if you are an assertive, experienced teacher who is interested in really making a difference, there are some good, talented, serious students at Cummings who could really benefit from your instruction. If you have a strong will and the dedication and energy level to keep up with this job, then you will be rewarded with those rare moments and days that surprise you and let you see that you are making a difference. Just be fully aware of what it is you're getting into.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
I would suggest William HS also.Cummings is a good school with it share of problems like most schools,there maybe more challenges there,but the guy above me makes alot of good points that you should consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point