U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,896 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am relocating to the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area in the near future for family reasons and I will be seeking employment upon arrival.
If my memory serves me correctly, this area was sortof an "insurance mecca"
in the past, meaning that a lot of the larger insurance companies in the country had their corporate headquarters in this area. My background is that
I am an insurance underwriter with 12 years of experience. I was wondering if any of you know if this would still hold true for this area, or is that no longer the case ? I have done research on employment in this area and have uncovered a few insurance corporate offices, and I am also wondering if the majority of insurance company headquarters would be in Winston-Salem, or in Greensboro, because we want to rent or purchase a house
where the most likelihood exists for my being closest to the most insurance companies. I would really appreciate it if any of you know about the existence/possibility of obtaining a decent job in insurance in this area,
and also where I might locate further sources of info. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,778,058 times
Default Not really

Jefferson-Pilot used to be HQ'ed in Greensboro, but they were bought by Lincoln Financial about 2 yrs ago. They still have a strong presence in downtown GSO, but jobs were cut due to the merger.

GSO has more insurance jobs than the average city its size due to JP/Lincoln, but I wouldn't call it a "mecca" by any means.

Winston-Salem would also have some due to its traditional banking background with BB&T (HQ'ed in W-S) and Wachovia (now HQ'ed in Charlotte).

One industry that also exists around here due to the heavy manufacturing concentrations are factoring companies such as GMAC and the bank subsidiaries.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 20,896 times
Oh, thank you very much for your reply and I really appreciate this information ! I will continue to check out all of the information I can find regarding insurance companies in the area. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point