U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 AM

5 posts, read 16,815 times

Advertisements

I have tried Google earth but still can't get a good idea of what the topography is like in the Winston/Salem and Greensboro area. We would like to see some rolling hills but don't particularly wish to live IN the mountains. Anybody know?????????

thx,
doggydad's wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 05:28 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydad View Post
I have tried Google earth but still can't get a good idea of what the topography is like in the Winston/Salem and Greensboro area.
A webcam from Forsyth County (where Winston-Salem is located)

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/envaffairs/hlymetdata/viscam1.htm (broken link)

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/envaffairs/hlymetdata/viscam.htm (broken link)

(That's Pilot Mountain sticking up to the left of center)

You really don't get a sense of going UP until you get past Mt. Airy and toward Virginia (about 50 miles north of W-S)

Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Default Rolling hills

That describes the Triad -- rolling hills.

I prefer the Triad's landscape to that of the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham). The Triad has more hardwood trees than RDU and seems to have more hills since it is closer to the mountains. Plus, the mountains of western NC and VA are a very short drive away - my family does day trips all the time into the mountains.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
Forsyth County is in the northwestern piedmont of North Carolina, about 50 miles east of the Blue Ridge Escarpment. The topography is characterized by rolling hills punctuated by knobs, ridges and valleys. The average elevation in the county is 870 feet above sea level, with the highest and lowest elevations being 1105 feet near Rural Hall and 700 feet where the Yadkin River enters Davidson Co. to the south.

Guilford County has an average elevation of around 800 feet above sea level. The range in altitude however is almost 500 feet, from a high of about 1000 feet above sea level in a couple of spots in the Northwest corner of the county, to a low of about 500 feet where Alamance Creek lies under Lake Mackintosh the Southeast corner of the county. This NW to SE gradation reflects the general sloping of the piedmont region of North Carolina.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-11-2007 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,364,121 times
Greensboro is somewhat flat for the most part - with sporatic mild rolling hills. I used to do some running in Greensboro and it wasn't all that much different than runing in Central Florida, maybe parts of northern Florida. Atlanta is much hillier. I don't recall seeing any real hilly areas in Greensboro. Don't know about the other two cities.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,143,935 times
Winston-Salem is at the very eastern edge of the foothills. ON clear days, you can see Pilot Mountain and other mountains to the west from the city.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM

26 posts, read 87,103 times
Default Rolling Hills

You'll find rolling hills North of Greensboro
North of Greensboro you have the smaller communites of Oakridge,
Summerfield, Stokesdale, and then Rockingham county communities
these are smaller, more country settings
Then you hit the Virginia line, Close enough to drive to work to Greensboro or Winston and then go home to the peace of country living
South of Greensboro you have the smaller communities of Pleasant Garden, Level Cross (Home of Richard Petty) Randleman, Ramseur, Franklinville, Climax
again smaller country areas close enough to the big cities where you can have the best of both worlds

Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,333 times
Default topography instruments

please advice your comment, which is the best brand for surveying items?
are welcome comments.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 AM

8 posts, read 27,996 times
Winston-Salem definitely has rolling hills - even our downtown! The tallest buildings downtown "change" depending on where you're standing! I'm spoiled by the character our topo has, even though sometimes I forget until I travel to flat places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point