U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,526 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job in Winston-Salem, but we're not too sure about the area. We've lived in Durham, and I am worried that Winston-Salem will be too conservative.

We have 3 kids and am considering Greensboro as a place to live. Previous posts have mentioned a 20 minute commute, but Google Maps is quoting more like 35 minutes.

Are there nice houses on the West side of Greensboro that would bring us closer to WS? What neighborhoods would you suggest? Probably looking for a 4500/sf house with 5 bedrooms. And how are the school districts in that area?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,721,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'mama View Post
My husband is looking at a job in Winston-Salem, but we're not too sure about the area. We've lived in Durham, and I am worried that Winston-Salem will be too conservative.

We have 3 kids and am considering Greensboro as a place to live. Previous posts have mentioned a 20 minute commute, but Google Maps is quoting more like 35 minutes.

Are there nice houses on the West side of Greensboro that would bring us closer to WS? What neighborhoods would you suggest? Probably looking for a 4500/sf house with 5 bedrooms. And how are the school districts in that area?

Thanks!!!
I would DEFINATELY live in Winston-Salem. Conservative...it is verty artsy fartsy. Remember also that the NC School of the Arts is in W-S too.

There is NO difference between GSO & W-S as far as being conservative.

W-S is the wealthist city per capita in NC & SC too.

You could not go wrong with living in either city...but W-S is a great city with some of the best health care in the state too.

Check it out and see for yourself.

In rush hr...no way could you make it from GSO to W-S in 20 minutes.

You could also check out Kernersville and be smack dab in the middle of both...but because of its size...it will be more conseravtive then wither GSO or W-S.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,665,274 times
I agree with "the 7 oh 4"... W-S used to have a reputation for having a somewhat closed society, but that went by the wayside a long time ago. There's a lot more diversity here (e.g. less conservatism) than some might think. Look at historic districts (Washington Park, Ardmore, West Salem, West End, etc.) for more "enlightened" neighbors.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,721,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I agree with "the 7 oh 4"... W-S used to have a reputation for having a somewhat closed society, but that went by the wayside a long time ago. There's a lot more diversity here (e.g. less conservatism) than some might think. Look at historic districts (Washington Park, Ardmore, West Salem, West End, etc.) for more "enlightened" neighbors.
We lived in the Historic West End near downtown for years before moving to Charlotte...alot of artsy fartsy people lived there...very very liberal.

Not saying anything bad GSO (very nice city too)...just trying to set the record straight about W-S.

W-S had the very 1st Arts Council in the US...and per capita...people in W-S give more money to the arts than any city in the US.

I have live in W-S, GSO, Raleigh & Charlotte...I would not say that W-S is any more conservative than any other city...who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-23-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM

247 posts, read 916,840 times
I actually prefer to live in the Winston Salem area as oppose to Greensboro anyways.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,665,274 times
They're both nice places. I've lived in both, but a lot longer in W-S. If you're working in W-S, there's no reason to live in Greensboro just because of the perceived social climate. Besides, with the cost of gas these days.....

In addition to being #1 per capita in giving to the arts, the W-S United Way has also been one of the highest in the country in per capita giving. Both statistics say a lot about the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point