U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 PM

62 posts, read 168,728 times

Advertisements

HI (again), First, thank you to all who have responded to my previous questions!

My wife and I will be relocating to the Winston-Salem area. In terms of buying a house, I hear/read good things about both Clemmons and Kernersville. I would appreciate any input about the "lifestyle" in these areas and any "pros" & "cons" of each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,659,741 times
Both communities have seen a lot of growth in recent years, residential and commercial.

Clemmons is much newer - although founded in 1802, it didn't incorporate as a "village" until 1986. I have always considered it more of a bedroom community to W-S, though I'm sure long-time residents might dispute this characterization. Clemmons probably has a higher percentage of transplants than Kernersville. You probably have seen this web site already, but in case you haven't: http://www.clemmons.org/

Kernersville was first settled in the mid-to-late 1700's and incorporated in 1871. Without facts to back me up, I'd venture to say that Kville has more native-born residents and is probably more conservative than Clemmons. Despite that, it's a perfect midway point for working couples who have jobs in W-S and Greensboro. Here's the Town of Kernersville web site: Town of Kernersville, North Carolina

Although I've never lived in either (I lived in W-S), my impression is that family social life is based around neighborhoods in Clemmons, where in Kernersville it's more about the community at large.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Default thanks

Thank you roadpony.
Are there any neighborhoods in W-S that you would recommend?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 AM

It would be easier to respond if you provide a little more info about what you're looking for. I assume since you said "wife and I" that there are no children at home?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Looking for.....

Yes Roadpony, having more specifics would definately help narrow things down. Hmmm...where exactly to begin. First, we dont have children and hence school districts are not as important to us. We like a suburban style area where the houses are not on top of each other (sorry, we are coming from California and I'm not used actually having land!) that is of course safe and ideally close to basic shopping (i.e. grocery stores and stuff like that). From my brief visit to the area, it seems that while the new developments have very nice, modern homes (something that I do like), they seem to be building them fairly close to each other. I would rather have a home that's 5-10years old, with large trees and a neighborhood feel to it. Without resorting too much to labels, I would classify us as more "progressive" than "conservative". Not sure what if any implications that has on a particular neighborhood. I would say that our current neighborhood is "mixed" along those lines and made up of working professionals. Also, I would like an area where people "take pride" in their homes...really dont want to see cars that dont run in people's front lawns or things along those lines....Nothing wrong with that, but its not what we want. Our house buying budget is in the 300k-350k range.
Thanks in advance for you input!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM

You should easily find something to meet your criteria in your price range. We just sold a townhome on the south edge of downtown (near Old Salem), so I am not as well-versed in the various subdivisions around town... hoping a few others will chime in. Some of the areas that have been mentioned in other threads (Ardmore, West End, etc.) are comprised mainly of homes older than what you are looking for. I would suggest considering the Robinhood Road/Sherwood Forest/Mt. Tabor/Peacehaven Road areas of Winston-Salem. They are established areas, but also have some newer developments... and convenient to most everything in town.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 AM

21 posts, read 101,084 times
From what you've said, I would say that Kernersville is definitely one you should check out. My wife and I moved down from Indy last fall and are very happy we chose to live here in K-vile. It is well located in the center of the Triad, so you have easy access to Winston Salem, Greensboro, and High point (each only about 20 minutes away). It is growing very quickly and has all the shopping you could want. South main st has a new shopping area with walmart, lowes, target, blockbuster and a lot of other things and they are about to build a really nice new outdoor mall. see http://www.unioncrosstownecentre.com...12-13-2006.pdf
Crime is low, the people are really nice and there is a nice variety of houses. Many new subdivisions. There are some REALLY nice neighborhoods in your price range. You can get a lot of house with a very nice yard for that amount here. hope this helps

Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 AM

21 posts, read 101,084 times
I forgot to mention that there are a lot of transplants here in Kernersville too. Almost everyone in our neighborhood is from somewhere else, from Ny to Ohio to you name it. We had no trouble feeling at home here.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,209 times
Both are very nice suburbs...depends on what you are looking for. I would say that Clemmons is a bit more Upscale. Not saying Kernersville is not nice...but overall I would say that Clemmons is more Upscale. Tons of transplant in Clemmons too.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Thank you again

Thanks again for all the helpful information. I'm starting to feel already welcomed and we arent even there yet! Must be that Southern hospitality thang huh?.....I grew up in Houston and went to grad school at Auburn University....so, I'm familiar with and looking forward to the Southern Hospitality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point