U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone have any plans or maps on the propsed finished project of I-840, especially the north side of things? Alot of progress has been made so far on the south end of the things, some west and some east, but we are looking at properties northside and want to know how far away, or not, 840 is going to be. Any input?

I went to the NCDOT website and found this: NCDOT: Greensboro Urban Loop but it didn't give me any of info, not for what I was looking for.

I also found this, which has really great pictures of the highways, the loops, here outside Greensboro (with realistic traffic conditions I might add!!!!) :
I-73 Segment 4

What do you think? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,859,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any plans or maps on the propsed finished project of I-840, especially the north side of things? Alot of progress has been made so far on the south end of the things, some west and some east, but we are looking at properties northside and want to know how far away, or not, 840 is going to be. Any input?

I went to the NCDOT website and found this: NCDOT: Greensboro Urban Loop but it didn't give me any of info, not for what I was looking for.

I also found this, which has really great pictures of the highways, the loops, here outside Greensboro (with realistic traffic conditions I might add!!!!) :
I-73 Segment 4

What do you think? Thanks for your help!
A found this on the web so I dont know if it will help you.

I am also a cartoghrapher (map maker) for a company near Lexington and I recently updated the Greensboro/High Point map. It includes the path of the entire loop and you can see the surrounding roads in more detail. You can pick one of those maps up in the Great Stop gas station. Its the map that has Greensboro's skyline with General Greene's statue on it or the one with the cover with Greensboro's ballpark on it.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 PM

This is a great picture gsoboi!! You know, I do remember sometime last year you mentioning your working for a cartography/map company out there in Lexington. I hope things are still going well for you in this weird economy, G-. Maybe you are even busier as some town grow exponentially in an effort by many to avoid bankruptcy...??

This picture does help - but let me ask you this, I am looking at a property in the zip code 27455 that is near Cotswald Ave in Greensboro. Someone mentined to me that Cotswald was going to be part of the 840 plans, which I found pretty hard to believe considering the tight home communities out that way. But perhaps. Do you any thing more about that area, considering what you do for a living? It would be a big help to know. Thanks Gsoboi! You totally rock!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM

P.s. judging by the photo above, it does look pretty possible!! :O

Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,859,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
This is a great picture gsoboi!! You know, I do remember sometime last year you mentioning your working for a cartography/map company out there in Lexington. I hope things are still going well for you in this weird economy, G-. Maybe you are even busier as some town grow exponentially in an effort by many to avoid bankruptcy...??

This picture does help - but let me ask you this, I am looking at a property in the zip code 27455 that is near Cotswald Ave in Greensboro. Someone mentined to me that Cotswald was going to be part of the 840 plans, which I found pretty hard to believe considering the tight home communities out that way. But perhaps. Do you any thing more about that area, considering what you do for a living? It would be a big help to know. Thanks Gsoboi! You totally rock!
after looking at our map, part of Cotswold Ave does appear to be a part of the I-840 path. When we put maps together, we get all our info from GIS data and it shows I-840 following the path of Cotswold Ave from Lawndale Ave to the Bicentennial Greenway. It was probablly the best move for the city because this path appear not to go through any homes. I'm sure the city wants to minimize taking people's property through iminent domain. You might want to call the city planning department and find out if the city will relocate that part of Cotswold. Many times roads will be relocated to make way for big highways or development like Old Oak Ridge Rd was.

Last edited by gsoboi; 07-13-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,298 times
Hope it gets finnished in a timely manner. I-485 (Charlotte's OuterLoop) here in Charlotte was started almost 15 years ago and is not scheduled for completion until about 2015.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks Gsoboi!! You are great!!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM

392 posts, read 410,278 times
Thank you, gsoboi! That's a great resource. I'd heard about it but I, too, hadn't seen exactly where it was supposed to be. That's definitely helpful for my future house hunting.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 AM

There was an article in last Sunday's News and Record about how people who bought homes were surprised to find out there was this major highway planned on being built in their back yard. Does no one do their homework anymore? The sad part is, most of the homes mentioned were newer homes! I can't believe someone actually developed the land, built houses and sold them at high dollar to people, too. Sorry to vent, but it's aggravating! I sometimes really, really despise capitalism. It brings out the worst in people.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM

392 posts, read 410,278 times
Sushi, you know the answer to that. Here in the Phoenix Metro area, we have the chronic lack of homework problem. There has been a planned bypass for south of Phoenix, the builders build, and when ADOT finally gets around to it, the homeowners scream to high heaven... even though they pass a sign that says "Future Site Of" several times a day.

And the developers just don't give a flying damn. They get their money and run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point