U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:46 PM

2,357 posts, read 375,927 times

Advertisements

Like you, I'm from SC, and I can't say Greensboro is the greatest place I've ever been. Overall, I feel very neutral about it. It's nice, but I guess I'm just a little bored. But, I'm fresh out of college, so my perspective may be very different than other peoples'.

In some ways, it seems clean, progressive, diverse, and growing. In other ways, it seems to have a good bit of industrial decay, and it is very caught up in "political racism" (not real, actual racism, just the kind that sells newspapers). Like two organized groups pointing fingers at each other. But compared to the other places I've lived, I'd have to say that Greensboro is more liberal and more progressive, in the sense that there is a large, established black middle and upper class that's lacking in most of South Carolina, and whites and blacks don't seem quite as divided into different groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,898,267 times
CarolinaJack,
If you want rural, look around northwest Guilford County. I can't recommend the southeast part of the county for your family. (Level Cross, which is actually across the county line in Randolph County, Pleasant Garden - which I love, etc.) It's rumored (and I stress "rumored") that there are some KKK members there. Not sure how many, if that's true. (Though it wouldn't surprise me.) But it is a mostly white area of the county. It's a nice area to live if you're white. lol Rednecks, country folk, all-white areas don't bother me (I just want a place that's nice and peaceful), but for a mixed race family, I can't really recommend it. Not that I would actually expect anything to happen to y'all (it would really surprise me), but why take a chance? Right?

By the way, my family and I live in a predominantly black neighborhood in southern Guilford County. (I think there might be 3 or 4 white families at most on my street.) We've never had any problems. Our neighbors are very nice. So people of different races living next to each other and in the same neighborhoods can get along just fine.

When I said I just want to live somewhere nice and peaceful, I said that because we're wanting to move in a couple years to a bigger place. And, of course, "nice and peaceful" is important.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 4,692,730 times
CarolinaJack,

As you're a southerner yourself, you'll love Greensboro. It's everything a family like yours would want, it's not perfect and it's not the "coolest" or "hippest" place but it works and it's great. You'll find many like minded people and/or different people who will respect your opinion as long as you respect theirs. I recommend you go visit first, but I'm sure you'll like it. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 59,584 times
Welcome back to the Carolinas!

You should be safe in the Triad. There are many bi-racial families here, and I am not aware of any discrimination. If you are sensitive to this issue, a more urban area would be probably be best. Some of the folks in rural areas are old-fashioned, and will be less liberal in their thinking.

It makes sense to let your job location and the schools you choose for your children dictate where you will live.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 PM

3,042 posts, read 6,082,909 times
thanks all those are great. I am southern and grew up in mixed neigbhorhoods in columbia sc, pensacola fl and dallas texas but I dont know rural areas of NC. I will probably just go back home to Mt Pleasant SC suburb of Charleston where I know it is safe for my wife whose a yankee and our daughter who is chinese adopted

i have no problems myself with redneck, i grew up with them and hang out with them more than black people. but I can handle it by myself--i am called a black good ole boy (fishin, huntin, nascar, country and blue grass music are my style) with an Ivy league education, so i am comfortable.

I will probably let family, the proximity to the ocean and good christian schools steer me home--but I have an interest in rural or suburban NC

Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,898,267 times
Whatever you decide, I hope that y'all will be very happy.

All the best!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,965 times
Default Greensboro Is Fine

Hey as a young couple of different races (black/white) I would say this city is fine. I have actaully not been anywhere it wasn't fine. Old people sometimes give us an extra look or stare of disapproval but nothing outside of that. I can also say that over the past 4 years I have seen more and more mixed couples that were of all ages with young kids. You'll be safe here, espicially in a safe neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM

75 posts, read 260,984 times
Areas best to stay away from as far as living:

Inner city Winston-Salem (Patterson Avenue, etc.)
Stokes County
Mount Airy/Pilot Mountain/Pinnacle areas
Mount Holly
Durham

I have a pretty diverse extended family. In the 1980s they were subject to stares and rude comments. Today it is a whole different picture, except in the areas listed above. In the 1980s some of the private schools had not yet intergrated. There are still pockets of bigotry, but on the whole I see more racism when I visit PA and NY than I do in NC. What we are seeing now is the acceptance of people with differing skin tones marrying and having children. As I said, you will still run into pockets of bigotry, but more and more I am seeing those walls falling.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM

699 posts, read 1,787,340 times
So...all of the racist/intolerant people live in those areas you listed? It's a little unusual to think they live in the inner city of Winston Salem.

Anywhere you live is basically okay, but you never know exactly what someone's experience and outcome will be. What if they have racist hillbilly neighbors in an area everyone would consider accepting and tolerant? What if their house is broken into soon after moving to Sedgefield or Fisher Park? It's all relative to chance and luck. In 2007 I'm thinking anyone can live just about anywhere with no danger of hate crimes or other crimes.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:26 PM

75 posts, read 260,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
So...all of the racist/intolerant people live in those areas you listed? It's a little unusual to think they live in the inner city of Winston Salem.

Anywhere you live is basically okay, but you never know exactly what someone's experience and outcome will be. What if they have racist hillbilly neighbors in an area everyone would consider accepting and tolerant? What if their house is broken into soon after moving to Sedgefield or Fisher Park? It's all relative to chance and luck. In 2007 I'm thinking anyone can live just about anywhere with no danger of hate crimes or other crimes.
You can do a search for NC news for areas where minorities have been targeted recently. The areas I listed I have heard bigoted remarks or know the makeup of the area to be overwhelmingly of one race. My cousins lived in the inner city of Winston-Salem, had boyfriends of different skin colors and I heard and saw the reactions. It was not just one way, it was more than one group saying that people of different skin colors shouldn't marry. I was raised a "hillbilly" so to speak, but not racist. I don't equate the two. REDNECKS are racist on the whole, but even that is changing. Hill folk OTOH are not always that way. I know many hill folk who have intergrated families. You should see them beam with pride at their families, various skin tones and all.

The KKK does still exist in America and sadly has members in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point