U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 AM

699 posts, read 2,342,473 times

Advertisements

...so as long as you don't set foot in:

"Inner city Winston-Salem (Patterson Avenue, etc.)
Stokes County
Mount Airy/Pilot Mountain/Pinnacle areas
Mount Holly
Durham"

then you'll survive, unlike the cousin who was harrassed by various roving gangs of hooligans. Since someone looked at the cousin strangely you should definitely avoid that area. Things like this can happen anywhere, of course, but it is not a common or frequent issue in Winston-Salem. Someone who has a negative encounter in an area often goes on judge it by that incident and procedes to spread the word about the dangers of the area. I hope the originator of this thread can recognize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,771 times
Default rednecks

I just wanted to add that the term redneck or hill billy or anything like that can mean one thing to one set of people. I was raised in the north with rep. parents and always considered my family a little on the red neck side, however once I moved to NC and found out that both telling people my family was republican and rednecks made them think I was from a racially biased family I stopped. But my point is to me redneck nor rep. never meant racist.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,144 times
carolinajack,
I'm a white man married to a black woman, and we have two kids and live in Greensboro. We've been together for over twelve years and have not ever had any issues or anyone ever say anything rude to us. You'll be very welcome, and you can contact me directly if you have questions or concerns.
cmead.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,344 times
I am living in Mount Airy now and I can agree withthe person who said to stay away! It's a depressed mill town and the mills are closing fast. There is high unemployment and a lot of drugs. located on rt 77, it is the hub for drug traffic to Ohio, Chicago and
I am from a NE state and have lived in Maryland and Virginia for over 20 years -I don't really consider myself a yankee anymore but Mount Airy makes me feel like a second class outsider!
The caveat is if you move to the Country Club and have a lot of money -then you are treated very well but still an outsider. They are very racist! I did meals on wheels for a while and they wanted me to do a route that a black man drove but they wouldn't let me drive with him to learn it! I tried arguing with them but they just thought I was naive.
The schools are scary, if you have a son who plays football and a daughter who is a cheerleader -they will be happy kids here. College is seen as a place to go to play sports.
I go to Greensboro and Winston to buy food and eat in a real restaurant.
I am not a bitter person and I have lived in a lot of places but after four years here, I am treated like the enemy -I get harassed by Baptist missionaries and people who think I might be an Ay-rab! (I am actually a descendent of the Mayflower, member fof the DAR and French Canadiens!)
I used to wish more people would move here to help heal the hatred and distrust but life is to short to hit yourself with a hammer!
Several of my older neighbors are angry with me, I ask anyone who uses the 'n' word to leave my home... they think I am a trouble maker!
And yet, I still love NC! The rest of the state is great. Just avoid the Mayberry-type towns, I mean even Andy Griffith avoids visiting! I've met his family and completely understand!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 AM

476 posts, read 1,015,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'd have to say that Greensboro is more liberal and more progressive, in the sense that there is a large, established black middle and upper class that's lacking in most of South Carolina, and whites and blacks don't seem quite as divided into different groups.
Would you say most neighborhoods here are integrated? GT mentioned southside and Fisher Park as diverse neighborhoods. When I lived in Chicago there was a clear division of white (northside), black (southside), and Hispanic (westside) neighborhoods. I'm wondering if Greensboro is laid out like that.

Also, being just out of college, how would you describe the social scene? If you are a transplant, are there outlets available to make friends your age (i.e. community service, intramural sports) and how is Greensboro for live music/entertainment?

I have a job interview there in a couple of weeks. I'm in my 20's/sinlge/no children and don't want to make the mistake of moving to a dead/declining industrial town.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,926 times
Default you will be fine

I can tell you without a doubt that you will have no problems living in Greensboro. I grew up in Greensboro and have been here for 27 years. The great thing about Greensboro is that there is a high level of educated people, regardless of race.

Being home to UNC-G (nice electic mix of people), NC A & T (well known historicially black university), Greensboro College, Bennet College (well known female historically black college), and Guildford College (Founded Quaker, a bit more "liberal"), the city produces A LOT of college graduates from many races. Some leave, but many stay in the area and become business leaders/politicians/ artists/etc.

Our current mayor, Yvonne Johnsone is a female African American. The City Council has a nice mix of races as well.

In my opinion, Greensboro stands out as a place where you should encounter ZERO problems with you family. It just doesn't seem to be an issue.

Also, there is so much to do if you plan to raise a family. The coliseum is a large venue and gets all of the major concerts as well as circuses, carnivals, etc. As well as a venue for the Greensboro Symphony.

There is a new stadium downtown for our minor league baseball team. All games are packed, but they have a family night every friday.

High-end shopping as well as normal retail.

All this in a city with a low crimerate for its size.

As you can tell, I would definitely reccomend greensboro for your family.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM

627 posts, read 1,864,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
The KKK does still exist in America and sadly has members in NC.
According to the Anti-Defamation League there are less than 2,000 KKK members in the whole United States. It's more of a boogeyman that still exists in the popular consciousness than a functional organization.

Also, as a resident of Greensboro for 35 years I agree with everything in DownWithADD's excellent post. Greensboro is a diverse, progressive community with a large group of smart, educated people.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM

21 posts, read 134,065 times
My daughter is a single African American looking to move to Greensboro for school and will not be living on campus (A & T school) I believe that's the name please forgive me for not having the full name. I do know it's in Greensboro. I 'm like some of the others that have posted, heard horror stories about the south. Could someone please tell me what would be very safe areas (low crime), No theft, not far from everything, for my daughter to live. We are looking for apartments with reasonable rent and quiet, not alot of taffic. We come from a town were everyone truly love one another no matter what color you are. We help each other. I am a concern mom!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 AM

231 posts, read 610,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhappy View Post
My daughter is a single African American looking to move to Greensboro for school and will not be living on campus (A & T school) I believe that's the name please forgive me for not having the full name. I do know it's in Greensboro. I 'm like some of the others that have posted, heard horror stories about the south. Could someone please tell me what would be very safe areas (low crime), No theft, not far from everything, for my daughter to live. We are looking for apartments with reasonable rent and quiet, not alot of taffic. We come from a town were everyone truly love one another no matter what color you are. We help each other. I am a concern mom!!!!!!
When I read many of these posts from people who have "heard" bad things about the South, I'm reminded of children of immigrants, who were warned by their parents of the gangs of American criminals who throw drugs at people on the streets, and of the people who, to this day, say I'm crazy for eating Chinese food because "you know there's cat in it!"

A&T has several new apartment communities around it. The Aycock neighborhood is full of nice homes, duplexes & triplexes to rent. Property crime isn't low close to the school, but I lived there for most of my youth and never worried about violence or racism. I was never concerned for my safety walking alone at night. A young woman, though, should exercise common sense in any neighborhood.
Traffic is negligible.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM

231 posts, read 610,946 times
Out of curiosity, the people who hear such horror stories about the South (and not, apparently, about other regions)... The people who tell you these stories; have they actually been TO the South since 1970?
I would guess that there is not a single US city of more than 100,000 people where one is generally unsafe because of one's ethnicity. Similarly, I would also guess that there is also not one without a section of town where one's ethnicity can invite problems from ignorant locals.

Blacks are fleeing northern cities in huge numbers to return to the South. We must be doing something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point