Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Well, the Greensboro Massacre was in '79. Charlotte re-segregated their schools 10 years ago and Wake county followed suit last year.
Neither Mecklenburg nor Wake have "re-segregated" their schools along racial lines. Actually, wake still hasn't made a final decision, but the decisions in question were to refrain from busing kids across long parts of the county--exactly what has happened in Boston and Northern cities in recent years. Socio-economic resegregation may be happening as a result, but it is not as if they are going back to "black schools" and "white schools" which is the message the media is giving out.

Quote:
There's still tension, much of it now coming from Northern whites who fled minorities in cities up there before moving South. NC's ahead of the curve in many respects compared to other Southern states, but there's always room to improve.
Exactly--it's two very strongarm types from New Jersey who have caused all the ruckus on the Wake School board--not Southerners, who integrated the Wake schools in 1976. So your post about "the South" doesn't even make sense. Blame Mr. Tedesco and Mr. Margiotta (hardly "native Southern" names) for what's happening in Wake. At any rate, it has nothing to do with the question as asked in this forum about safety. NC and Wake county in particular ranked very high on racial integration according to a 2010 Census report, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
That's precisely what they did. The plaintiff in the case challenging Swann was a klan member and the federal judge who ruled in favor of CMS was an anti-busing activist (aka segregationist) in the 70s.
Your are off topic for this thread, and what you are selling is a VERY questionable version of reality.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,880,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
I can't speak from the interracial couple point of view, but our daughter is from China. We do attract attention in the grocery store, etc... but not in a hateful kind of way, more curious kind of way. Even so, sometimes I wonder if it's the best thing for her to grow up always standing out in the crowd. Your family will obviously stand out even more.

We live in downtown Greensboro in a relatively diverse, restored historical area area and have not seen any racial issues.

Good luck to you.

GT
yeah, in charleston sc we dont get stares with our daughter so its better there or out in Texas. so thanks, sad to hear that about Greensboro, we liked durham and raleigh when we visited last easter.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 AM

135 posts, read 247,145 times
Yes.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 AM

135 posts, read 247,145 times
I have a hard time believing people are getting attention because they are from a minority group. I was born and raised in Greensboro, and never saw a single ounce of racism growing up. No one cares about that stuff.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
I have a hard time believing people are getting attention because they are from a minority group. I was born and raised in Greensboro, and never saw a single ounce of racism growing up. No one cares about that stuff.
I'm not sure why people think they know why someone is looking at them...there are a million possibilities, and race is only one of them.

People might stare at GirlTravel's daughter because they think she's cute or they like what she's wearing. There is no reason to automatically assume that the looks are for any particular reason.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,798,493 times
I am wondering if Greensboro area safe for Black/white couple with children?

OK, I'm a white guy, actually more pinkish tan this time of year, I attended UNC-G back in the early 70's, one of the women I dated back they was this drop dead gorgeous black woman, grad student, really bright. Anyway, at movies, restaurants, art galleries, stage plays put on by UNC-G Drama Dept. Concerts, et al, we heard no disparaging remarks of any kind. Greensboro was founded by Quakers, was a major hub of the underground railroad and is better educated than a lot of other southern cities. It would really surprise me if you ran into much trouble because of race. True, there are always idiots anywhere, there are just fewer in Greensboro.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 PM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
Fair point, but the city was not "founded" by Quakers.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,798,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Fair point, but the city was not "founded" by Quakers.
I sit corrected, Guilford College area was settled first, it was the Quakers, that the rest of the area became settled later on is in part because of the community founded by the Quakers. I.E. "Friendly Avenue and Market Street" , the first markets were in the Guilford College area. Early on in its' history Guilford College and the area that would eventually became Greensboro were a major hub of the underground railroad. The area has always been more racially tolerant than most other areas in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point