U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,093,065 times

Advertisements

We are highly educated, quiet, hard working people, would we be safe there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,380 times
Yes, absolutely. I've never heard of any physical attacks against anyone because they're a mixed race couple. I'd be more concerned about choosing a safe neighborhood crime-wise than about someone attacking me because I was married to someone of another race.

I don't mean this rudely at all, but the things that happened in the 60s aren't happening in the South anymore. At least not on a regular basis. The last incident I recall was that horrible dragging death in Texas several years ago. There may have been other attacks since then, but I don't recall.

Most of the racial violence we hear of happens up north or out in California, actually.

I hope you and your wife will be very happy here.

All the best!

Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
According to the FBI, Greensboro reported 3 race-related hate crimes in 2005. The 2006 report won't be released until the fall of 2007.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/table13northcarolina.htm

Compared to all of the other states and the District of Columbia, NC ranks very low for race-related hate crimes. Number #42 out of 50.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_hat_cri_rac_rel_percap-crimes-race-related-per-capita

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2007 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks both Nikki and MM,

I am from SC originally but havent lived in the South since i graduated college in 1988. I know that times have changed even in the South, but I know that hate crimes still exists, esp on Interracial couples, gays and hispanics. I know that FBI and Southern Poverty Law Center data of Hatewatch record NC as one of the safer places in the US and places like California, Mass, NJ and Pa as some of the more dangerous places.

It is an imperative to know for most Interracial couples because we are a visible target of most peoples hatred. I know most Americans are more tolerant today, but I am not naive enough to believe that things have changed drastically, especially since I travel home to SC, Tx and MS all the time and still deal with behaviors and stares and the rise of hate groups is a serious one.

specifically, I am asking to know what the rural areas around Greensboro, Goldsboro, Raliegh Durham, Asheville and Charlotte are like in peoples experience. I understand most whites can not answer this, so if black or Interracials respond that would be helpful. We want to buy an old historic home in the country and restore it, but my wife is afraid, and frankly I am too, of the hate we would incur. Also we would have an adopted child from China and wonder how she would be treated.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,645,326 times
I can't speak from the interracial couple point of view, but our daughter is from China. We do attract attention in the grocery store, etc... but not in a hateful kind of way, more curious kind of way. Even so, sometimes I wonder if it's the best thing for her to grow up always standing out in the crowd. Your family will obviously stand out even more.

We live in downtown Greensboro in a relatively diverse, restored historical area area and have not seen any racial issues.

Good luck to you.

GT

Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,847,941 times
You'll be fine. Greensboro is a fantastic city and I've never noticed any racial issues there. If you do get some extra attention, it's from curiosity, not hatred. From my experiences, generally speaking, North Carolinians are very nice, gracious people and Greensboro is a melting pot of nice people from everywhere.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:28 PM

wow, those are really positive. It is hard enough bring an adopted child from another culture up but even worse if the parents are subjected to hate.

I could move them to suburban Charleston SC, my hometown, but I like the country and upstate new york and new england is too expensive to live.

Is Greensboro city a cool place? We dont care about where the place is Conservative politically as we are Conservative/Indenpendents, but we are open minded to progressive issues of environment, organics, diversity, live and let live.

I dont care really if the neighbors dont want to make friends with us or shun us, just as long and they dont attack my family.

Thanks, and any other information is appreciated.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM

I like downtown Greensboro A LOT. We are unfortunately moving away from Greensboro due to my work, but where we live now we can walk down to art galleries, restaurants, coffee shops, bars... I could even walk to work (but don't, because I do day care drop off). My house, daycare, and the YMCA are all within a mile of each other.

There are two neighborhoods in Greensboro that fit the above bill. One is the older, more established Fisher Park, and the other is the newly-restored Southside area, that used to be quite bad and is now a "hot" neighborhood.

GT

Old 01-19-2007, 01:37 PM

wow, gT thanks. Yes, since I live in Center City Philadelphia and live in the heart of the Arts district, historic area, and shopping district, I can walk to work, to the parks, to the Whole Foods, farmers markets, independent theatres and bookstores, art galleries and museums and concert halls, but the city is a killer on families, and very dangerous,

so I know a smaller town can be safer and more of an affordable change.

any websites to greensboro and the communities you speak of?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM

here's one:

southsideneighborhood.com

The site may not show it, but there are single family homes there too.

And it's not as cool as center city Phlly (you still have to drive to the Fresh Markets or Earthfare)... but for a small southern town, it's pretty cool

GT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point