Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM

33 posts, read 118,163 times

Advertisements

Is it true that the only IMAX movie theaters are in Raleigh and Charlotte?

My boyfriend and I recently moved here from Tampa, FL (IMAX there), and were surprised when we didn't see any movie theaters listing IMAX as an option.

But I must say, matinee and even regular evening tickets are so much cheaper than in Tampa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
New theaters to be open soon in the usa
Imax Theater Locator, List Of Imax Theaters - Imax.com (http://www.imax.com/ImaxWeb/theatres.do?param_section=findTheatres&param_subMe nuSelect=findTheatresSelect - broken link)

besides that future one in Concord, NC yes Raleigh and Charlotte are the closest IMAX

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
At one time there was a plan for an IMAX theater in the Unity Place developement in downtown Winston-Salem. It would have included a new Krispy Kreme corporate headqaurters. But that whole project fell through. A downtown Greensboro location has been tossed around a few times, the latest in the Greensboro Triumph Center proposal which would have included a 20-story 4-star luxury hotel with an adjoining convention center and shopping court, restaurants, a 2,000 seat music/restaurant venue, an entertainment complex with an IMAX, multiplex theater, simulator rides, childrens rides, cosmic bowling, skating rink, billards tables, office and residential in midrises and an 18-story tower. No one knows the status of that. Many think the proposal fell through but some think its still on hold. It was being spearheaded by a local developer but a major unidentified Florida development company from Orlando and other international investors were a part of the deal. The Greensboro Triumph Center was suppose to be a major "tourist destination for the Southeast region". The whole project cost $300 plus million and would have taken up 3 or more downtown city blocks. For a while there were rumors spreading that the unidentified Orlando, Florida development company was Disney. Because Disney does have future plans for building downtown hotels/entertainment complexes in select cities. But Greensboro was chosen for the project because of its central location, highway system and its close proximity to both Charlotte and Raleigh, The developers were looking at this development as a magnet attracting people 2 hours away by car because with the gas prices, people want to vacation closer to home and not drive hundreds of miles. But Oh well.

But Greensboro should have had an IMAX a long time ago. I dont know why we dont have one. It seems that Charlotte and Raleigh always gets the first pickin and the Triad seems to ALWAYS be over looked. Even Greenville, SC, a city smaller than Greensboro has one. But the closest thing to an IMAX in the Triad is the OmniSphere in Greensboro. Its a Total Immersion Theater that features a 40 foot dome located at the Natural Science Center. Its similar to the IMAX domes. So maybe this will satisfy you until the Triad gets an IMAX

http://www.natsci.org/planetar/omnisphere.htm (broken link)

Last edited by gsoboi; 07-22-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Cityboi (I refuse to call you gsoboi LOL), the Triumph Center is dead. It's time to move on dude. Oh and we don't have one yet in Greenville. We will this fall though. The only reason our city is smaller is due to strict annexation laws. The metro areas of Greensboro and Greenville are right around the same size. A lot of the reason Greenville is getting one before Greensboro is because the movie theater it's going at is the highest grossing one profit wise in the Carolinas. Also, it will be part of the entertainment factor for Magnolia Park Town Center. I think Greensboro will get one by 2012. At least I hope they do.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Cityboi (I refuse to call you gsoboi LOL), the Triumph Center is dead. It's time to move on dude. Oh and we don't have one yet in Greenville. We will this fall though. The only reason our city is smaller is due to strict annexation laws. The metro areas of Greensboro and Greenville are right around the same size. A lot of the reason Greenville is getting one before Greensboro is because the movie theater it's going at is the highest grossing one profit wise in the Carolinas. Also, it will be part of the entertainment factor for Magnolia Park Town Center. I think Greensboro will get one by 2012. At least I hope they do.
you followed me over to city-data. You must be my groupie LOL

Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
you followed me over to city-data. You must be my groupie LOL
You know I had to. I can't resist the frog.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,480 times
winston salem got an imax few weeks ago

Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

123 posts, read 278,389 times
Default Imax

Took my son to see Transformers there at the weekend. Awesome sound, Great 3D.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

35 posts, read 81,438 times
Smile Winston Salem just got one of these!

Opened about 3 weeks ago off of Peters Creek Parkway I believe, and supposedly quite nice.....this is a bit of excitement for our city!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloyler View Post
Opened about 3 weeks ago off of Peters Creek Parkway I believe, and supposedly quite nice.....this is a bit of excitement for our city!

Wrong side of town...it's on the north side, on University Parkway near the Shattalon Dr. intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point