U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 AM

32 posts, read 99,755 times
Default Cluster Homes

Can anyone tell me what is the definition of a "cluster home" and what are the pros and cons? Other than their small yards and close proximity to each other, what are the unique features of homes designated this way?

I'm asking because I wrote my realtor in GBO TWICE about it because there is a listing that came up when I selected to include "cluster homes" in my MSL search. The first time he ignored me. The second time he wrote a very vague description about what residents "enjoy" about them (little yard maintenance, lots of common green areas to walk in). He mentioned no negatives at all, and I have an uneasy feeling he's leaving something out.

This house is listed for $99,000. This makes me think it's either in very bad condition or in a very undesirable neighborhood. (I also asked him twice about the area, Covington Place, and he ignored my question both times.)

Can someone help me?

As always, many many thanks...

LillieB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 48,948 times
Lillie . . . I suspect that you might not need the answer to this question anymore because it has been over five months since you asked, but let me pitch in here just in case. It could also be that someone else might need the answer to what defines a cluster home. To start, there is no legal definition for what a cluster home precisely is. The one thing everyone agrees on is that it is a single family "detached." (I want to emphasize the work detached.) In almost all cases, the cluster home is separated from the home or homes immediately to the left or right or both by a space of 10' or less . . . hence, the idea that they are clustered. Some Realtors seem to think that two homes connected by a common storage room wall qualify to be classified as cluster homes, but that is not the case. The definition of a townhome is defined as an "attached, privately owned single-family dwelling unit which is a part of and adjacent to other similarly owned single-family dwelling units that are connected to but separated from one another by a COMMON PARTY WALL having no doors, windows, or other provisions for human passage or visibility." (Emphasis added) I hope this will clarify what a cluster home is and is not. As for negatives about cluster homes, that really is up to the purchaser (given that the location is good). Some folks like to live close to others; some don't. Some folks like less yard work; some love jumping on a riding lawn mower once a week. It goes on . . . . Every style of home has its pool of interested buyers, and if you don't want to hear your neighbors screaming at each other about each others faults, then focus on homes on larger lots. Thas all folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point