Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 7,150 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and enjoying this forum for quite a while but haven't felt the need to post until now. My husband and I have lived in Greensboro for almost two years now, having moved here from southern California. We live in the Lincoln Green complex right now and don't know a whole lot about the neighborhoods outside of this area.

The houses in the price range we're looking at seem to mostly be around Lake Jeanette, in Lindley Park, off of Lewiston northeast of the airport, and around Sedgefield between Guilford College Road and High Point Road. Can anyone tell me anything about any of these areas? We've driven through neighborhoods but haven't started going to open houses or even hooked up with a realtor yet. My husband has it in his head that anything south of I-40, anywhere in town, is going to be a lousy part of town (I think he's nuts) and we've been told that anything within a couple of miles of the airport will be a bad choice, but we're not sure that we believe that.

Anyone with any general recommendations about neighborhoods/zip codes we should be looking at, we'd love to hear your advice, too - we are looking at houses selling for no more than $175k, if that helps. We don't have kids and have no immediate plans to have kids so we are not that concerned about the school districts. I want to stay as close to the Friendly Center as possible but I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to, sigh...

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
Kirkwood neighborhood, Fairfield Neighborhood, neighborhood between Benjamin and Battleground (not sure of the neighborhood name). All affordable, great neighborhoods near Friendly Center.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM

57 posts, read 247,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Kirkwood neighborhood, Fairfield Neighborhood, neighborhood between Benjamin and Battleground (not sure of the neighborhood name). All affordable, great neighborhoods near Friendly Center.
All of those neighborhoods are great places to look. The one mentioned above bounded by Benjamin, Battleground, and Green Valley is called Guilford Hills. And you will be less than a mile or so to Friendly. You might consider the houses pretty small (between 700 - 1400 sq ft.), but they are definitely in your price range.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
Thanks for the missing info jjp4!
jjp4 is right, a lot of the houses are smaller than the McMansions that have been popping up in Greensboro, but they would be great for just two people. You would be buying a great location that is gonna see continued appreciation. And if you did decide to have a family you could use that equity to step-stone to a bigger place. It's a good investment IMHO.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,150 times
Thanks a lot for your help! We'll expand our search to the neighborhoods you've both mentioned.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Not sure of the prices, but you could look around Hamilton Lakes on Friendly Ave. I lived there years ago and loved it. Nice lake and park. Good walking neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I think the neighborhood you are referring to is called Guilford Hills?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 42,455 times
You could also check out Quaker run just off horse pen creek. Close to good schools and trails run right around it.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,113 times
You mentioned Lindley Park- getting more pricey by the day- but there's a neighborhood right across Holden called Highland Park which may have what you need plus it's much cheaper. Also there are homes on Parkwood and Manor drive just off Holden that many agents refer to as "lindley park area" which are cheaper.

Guilford Hills is definitely moving up in price ranges, so that's a great place to buy low!

Sunset Hills and Hamilton Lakes are both nice but not cheap- SH is over $110 a square foot and HL is heading that way. So you may be looking a while to find a deal.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,113 times
a Short list of nice, mostly older homes in good areas with good schools near downtown or friendly center you may look into-

Green Valley (behind Friendly Center)
Sunset Hills
College Park
Lindley Park
College Hill
Lake Daniel
Westerwood
Guilford Hills
Hamilton Lakes
Hamilton Forest
Starmount Forest
Hamilton Hills

If you are concerned with Airport Noise, contact the Airport Authority on the address you are interested in to double check if the property is in the Noise Contour for Fed Ex. You can be close to the airport without being in it, so discounting any homes within a mile of PTI is not the best approach.

Noise contour map here (https://www.flyfrompti.com/gee/doc/NOISE_CONTOURS.PDF - broken link)

It's a pdf file of the areas impacted. Just be careful near the Cardinal. The two areas you mentioned (lake jeanette, sedgefield) are both just fine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point