U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 61,444 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating this summer to the Triad area. My husband will be working in West Greensboro, while my job is in Winston-Salem. We visted the area several years ago and liked the feel of Kernersville. It seems like Kernersville would be a pretty east commute for both of us. However, we are slightly concerned with the school report card.

Are there other similar (to K-ville) suburbs to consider that have great schools, very low crime rates, a manageable commute and a total lack of diversity? Having lived in a big city for the past 8 years, we are eager to relocate to "Pleasantville."

We are in the process of interviewing realtors, and will be visiting the area to look at homes in March, so any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 PM

26 posts, read 87,103 times
Default PLeasantville

Start on the map and go south on HWY220 towrd Greensboro look at Stoneville, Madison,
Mayodan, Eden, -these are your "Pleasantville towns
I have also sent you a PM
my cousin is a school teacher in Greensboro-
she told me people go to many lengths to get their kids in school in these areas
we did...

Old 01-28-2007, 10:53 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,170 times
Wasn't the request for areas between Winston Salem and Greensboro? If I'm not mistaken, Eden is way up on the other side of GSO...

As a teacher I would urge you not to pay a lot of attention to school report cards. The criteria used for these "grades" doesn't give an accurate story of an individual school. If the system has strict standards for hiring teachers, which I know Forsyth County does, any school there will have strong teachers...so the main thing is the location of the school and community/parent involvement. How students perform on a standardized test only tell you how that student was feeling and performing that day. People should make their own judgements about individual schools.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,077 times
I would definitely suggest the Northwest side of Greensboro-Summerfield and Oakridge-Great Schools....
IF out of your price range....Colfax is right beside Oakridge right off 40 for easy commute to GSO and WS.... Southwest schools

Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 AM

75 posts, read 356,856 times
I would suggest private schools since NC has some very nice ones.

Clemmons is also a nice community. It's laid back and quiet, but close enough to Winston-Salem you don't feel stranded. Lewisville is not far from that, and even quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point