U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 PM

699 posts, read 2,343,077 times

Advertisements

Info on High Point:

The racial makeup of the city was 60.56% White, 31.77% African American, 0.46% Native American, 3.35% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 2.27% from other races, and 1.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.89% of the population.

The median income for a household in the city was $40,137, and the median income for a family was $48,057. Males had a median income of $33,411 versus $25,293 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,303. About 10.5% of families and 13.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.6% of those under age 18 and 11.4% of those age 65 or over.

Information below from - http://www.internest.com/city/highpointnc.asp (broken link)
Popular Communities in High Point :
Neighborhood------ houses start at

Burton Run $132,990
Deep River Farm $180,000
Alderbrook the Greystone Collection $201,990
Alderbrook Cottages $216,490
Alderbrook the Vanderbilt Collection $251,990
Deep River Villas $99,000
Delmar $144,990
Walnut Creek $250,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
You asked for an opinion, and I gave it. It sounds like you have a philosophy that all towns are equal, but I disagree with that. Crime does indeed occur everywhere in our society, but the frequency and severity can't be ignored - an occasional theft in a town doesn't mean that it's as dangerous as another town with numerous burglaries, assaults, homicidesetc.

Now I'm not saying that you will get mugged simply by visiting HP, but there are unusually large areas of poverty within a few miles of downtown HP (which normally translates into more crime). That type of environment isn't what people are looking for when they're selectig a place to live.
Just because there are numerous burglaries, assaults and homicides in a town doesn't mean the entire town is dangerous. I would bet that MOST of High Point is not dangerous at all. As far as the wide areas of poverty you mentioned...only 13% of the population lives below the poverty line. That percentage would not make up an "unusually large area" .

Opinions are fine, but when you make these kinds of statements and word them as facts it's not fine. An opinion would be an "I like..." or "I think..." or "Green is pretty." A fact would be "...there are unusually large areas of poverty within a few miles of downtown HP" and it's a fact that simply is not true.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:24 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,583 times
Default HP "opinions"

I question how those statistics are being compiled. I work near downtown HP and know the city very well ... I'm not basing opinions on visiting the town once or twice.

Go to downtown HP and drive a mile or two in any direction and you will see the poverty and run-down properties that exist. Drive down English, West Green, Ward, etc and then tell me that you would be willing to buy a house near downtown High Point.

What isn't an "opinion" is that HP Andrews is literally one of the worst performing high schools in the state based on test scores (and may actually be the worst), and HP Central would be there too if not for an accelerated program that was given to that high school a few years ago that has kept some talented kids there.

North High Point is a fine place to live, and due to expansion of the town in that direction with higher-cost housing that's probably where the stats are being skewed. If you're talking about that area, then I don't have any problem -- but the original intent of this post, I believe, focused more on the heart of the town where all the industry is (or was) located.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 AM

You question the Census Bureau's statistics? I'm not sure how the originator of this thread feels about that, but I don't think the C.B. compilation procedures is what I would be questioning.

I know that run down properties and poverty exist...but we aren't living in Haiti either. There is poverty in High Point - 13% of the population - and it may appear to be widespread and rampant to someone driving by who sees a city housing project or a shabby apartment building. I've been there enough to know that the city isn't the way you described...and I don't have any ties to High Point, just ties to reality.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,824 times
Default High Point

Okay, I live in between High Point, Greensboro and Winston and have lived here all my life. Though I do not live within either of the cities city limits, I'm within 15 minutes to all 3. I live in a rural area and when I go out to eat or to shop, etc. I have to go to one of those 3 cities. Not to mention, the nightly news here covers all 3 cities. I've never noticed in all my shopping in all three cities for decades, a huge differene in High Point being so bad. Of course, there are a few areas/miles that are run down, etc, but other than that, it's fine. Where I shop, you never see that, Oak Hollow Mall, Wal Mart, Circuit City, Target, all in fine location.
The furniture market issue is really only 2 weeks of the year, a week in April and a week in October. 2 weeks a year that you notice a huge change and it's not even as bad as what people make it out to be in MY OPINION. But, everyone has a opinion. The traffic issue during market is in downtown High Point mainly. So, if you aren't looking at living or being around downtown High Point, there's no big deal to me. Of course, hotels and restaurants are more full too, but the traffic kind of spreads out once you're out of downtown area, the further from downtown you get, the less you notice.
We all have opinions, but being a native of the area, I've never even heard that High Point is worse than Winston or Greensboro. I wasn't aware of the reputation until reading it on here. When I go out, I have a choice of going to Winston Salem, High Point and Greensboro within about the same driving time, I always choose Winston or High Point. I've never had any issues with anything at either.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM
JAS

Default Maybe I'm wrong

Whatever floats your boat - I guess that I'm the only one on here who's down on HP.

Of course almost none of the people that I work with actually live in HP, so I know that I'm not alone in my views.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Whatever floats your boat - I guess that I'm the only one on here who's down on HP.

Of course almost none of the people that I work with actually live in HP, so I know that I'm not alone in my views.
You said it - "down on High Point" is exactly what it sounds like. It's your negativity that I see clouding your judgement and causing you to really believe that High Point is a horrible place with no good living options other than the one area you mentioned. That's not reality, but it is along the lines of someone who's dislike for a city results in an exaggerated negative image of the city.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
You said it - "down on High Point" is exactly what it sounds like. It's your negativity that I see clouding your judgement and causing you to really believe that High Point is a horrible place with no good living options other than the one area you mentioned. That's not reality, but it is along the lines of someone who's dislike for a city results in an exaggerated negative image of the city.
JAS works in High Point every day and is a local to the area. His opinion seems pretty valid considering he is not giving advice about an area he has only visited or researched on the internet. He isn't in Atlanta. Now, me on the other hand, I have no right to be "down on High Point" since I don't work or live there. I live about 30 minutes away and I have only visited High Point. We got lost driving around and let's just say I felt a strong urge to make sure all of my car doors were locked. I would be willing to give High Point another chance if I knew were I was going. I say, to each his own. But, I don't think JAS should be attacked for giving his impression of a city he goes to every day. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. I have seen people slam Winston-Salem and I personally like the city. If I were to listen to other's opinions I probably would have ended up in Raleigh or Charlotte instead of the TRIAD. It is a great place and I think you (Sprtsluvr8) will be happy here.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 AM

I GREW UP THERE...thank you very much, and I visit there frequently. Actually I actually grew up in Winston Salem but I was in High Point a lot and still am on occasion. Way to assume that you know something. Did that enlighten you?

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm disagreeing with negative and incorrect information that could scare away possible new/future residents. It's unfair to paint a 'dangerous, dark' image of High Point as if it were Detroit (sorry D. fans, you know what I mean though). If anyone was attacked for having an opinion it was me, sprtsluvr8, in your post above.

I refuted the poverty information that Jas posted as fact, and I supported my position with a number (13% of residents live below the poverty line). So I believe my point was valid and pertinent. If 87% of residents are enjoying life above poverty level, then clearly that doesn't translate to widespread ghettos and rampant crime. Some people want to continue with the argument, even when sufficient, valid proof is presented in favor of the opposition. This one should have ended at that point but was continued anyway. It's silly...oh yeah, I was wondering why Jas has someone else speaking on his/her behalf?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
JAS

Default Hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I was wondering why Jas has someone else speaking on his/her behalf?
I didn't exactly e-mail "enlightenme" and ask him to stick up for me ... I'm an adult and can take care of myself.

Like I said, you're right and I'm wrong. High Point is a charming town with exceptional public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point