U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM

67 posts, read 212,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_transplant07 View Post
I'm not discounting any information you've offered, but it seems that you may have taken offense to my comment. I was simply stating that no area is immune to crime. Contrary to what you read of my last reply I don't believe that all communities are the same.

I'm just trying to understand why High Point has been given such a bad name, that's all. Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion, and I appreciate yours greatly.

thanks
I lived in Greensboro years ago and High Point was a decent city. Bad press is what gives HP a bad name just like bad press gives any area in any town that has unusually high poverty and minorities.

I would suggest that if you are moving to HP that you become a change agent. Success is finding a need and filling it.

I moved back to my hometown and did not move into a subdivision that I could easily afford to live in now and this is the subdivision that I dreamed of living in six years ago when it was newly built. Instead, I moved into my childhood home. The area was sinking fast, but I got everybody together who once lived here and we are making a difference.

It was scary at first, but you will be surprised at the way people often just need someone to say we can do it together or you can do it, what can I do to help?

We have had massive cleanup drives and our crime rate is dropping. The crime is domestic violence. We have run all of the drug dealers to another part of the city. That was hard and scary but we got it done. I suspect in two more years, we will have this part of town looking as it did when I was a child or possible better since some of us are retirng back here and buying two old homes and razing new ones where the old ones stood.

Get grant money and turn some of those vacant buildings into a grocery store.

What others may see as a sore, may be a score for you.
The media sensationlize things, so it is highly possible that HP is not as bad as they say it is. Sounds to me that all it needs is a tax base.

Good luck. Pray on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,207 times
its not the bad press, its the people in high point these days. the schools have gone to crap, as have the people. a once nice neighborhood such as the one i come from is now over run with crackheads, drug deals and things of that nature. i liked high point when i was a kid, as i got older i saw/see it for the slum that it is. each and everytime i return there to visit the place has become more and more slummier. a post previous to this states that its in relation to bad press and personal experiences. while there may be some truth in this, it really relies on what the city itself has really become. the press only shows parts of it. everyone has a bad personal experience somewhere. when you ask about a city on a forum, your going to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM

39 posts, read 136,909 times
Well, i have been reading all this. My husband and I. Are relocating to nc, greensboro area, my husband wanted to go to high point,We thought high point looked okay on the computer of course,We will check it out in about 2 weeks.Can you tell me you say the hotels are booked in march?What about april???

Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 136,909 times
Well,I'm confused about all of this talk!!!about high point!!! guess we are not moving there!!! we will see in about 2 weeks I'm going to travel to several locations then decide where we will move.... thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
JJM

61 posts, read 217,347 times
Canda,

Wait a couple of weeks to visit the Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem area.
The furniture market begins around April 7th this year and runs for a week. It's a little bit later than usual this year. Also, check out North High Point. It is quite a nice area and has many convenient places to shop, eat, see movies, exercise, etc. We moved her last year, built a new home and are very happy with our choice. Come see for yourself and make your own decision as to what area is best for you. Everyone has different ideas about where they like to live. Enjoy your visit.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,364,346 times
Default High Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by canda View Post
Well,I'm confused about all of this talk!!!about high point!!! guess we are not moving there!!! we will see in about 2 weeks I'm going to travel to several locations then decide where we will move.... thanks
As somone who has been in & around High Point most of his life these are my obesrvations, some fact, some opinion; High Point is what it is, it has crime, crackheads, slums, poverty just like any other city in America. It also has nice parks, neighborhoods, and people just like any other city. High Point does get a bum rap in some ways due to the sensational news coverage of the local Fox station. They jump all over a fist fight at one of the high schools and play it up as if it never happens anywhere else. If the casual obesrver were watching local news they would get the impression the Triad area consists of Winston Salem, Greensboro, Lexington. IMO this Fox station does everything they can to paint a bad picture of High Point.

There is a lot of old money in High Point. Want proof? At one point High Point had the only Rolls Royce/ Bentley dealer between New York & Florida. The old money is what keeps this city down but, it is growing in spite of that.

High Point tends to be bassackwards in many ways. Example; the local mall, albeit small, has been open for over 10 yrs and is probably 30-40% empty. Tenants cannot survive because; a) idiot citizens won't support it, b) idiot citizens use it for a place to drop of their teenagers which scares off paranoid shoppers. High Point leaders are just beginning to ponder revitaliztion projects for older areas while Greensboro & Winston are in full swing with their respective projects. Hence the rundown look of many neighborhoods. If you enjoy arts & culture High Point is not the place to be. Due to this lack of culture you can't really call it a vibrant city. Its just a city.

The crime rate is not disportionately higher than other surrounding areas. Recently HP Police received national recognition for inviting drug dealers to let them know they know about them and to clean up or go to jail. Greensboro is struggling with its gang/ drug problems.

As for some of the posters commenting about how run down their childhood homes are this holds true for other cities as well. The statments by these posters are purely subjective IMO.

High Point has seen much retail growth over the last decade. The cool part about High Point's location is it is very convenient to Greensboro & Winston Salem, 20 min from each. There are many good middle class and upscale neighborhoods in northern High Point, which is also the area that has experienced the most growth.

In a nutshell High Point is not such a bad place. If you are looking for good neighborhoods & people this is a place you can call home.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 AM

12 posts, read 32,585 times
I have lived there for most of my life and have seen a downfall.

The pro's: 1. Great deals on Furniture
2. Great Fire and Police Department

The Con's: 1. School System.....Great teachers...Bad Admin. Kids get trucked all over
the place. You could live near a school....Your kids will go to one on the
other side of town.
2. Taxes: Guilford has on of the highest in the state
3. Traffic....During the Market. STAY AT HOME.
4. It is a small city trying its best to be big.
5. The Mayor loves asfault.... Tree's....We don't need them. The curant
Mayor has pulled up more trees for parking lots than any Mayor in History.
But the Enviromental Center is named after her.
6. School (Part 2) very high crime rate in the school system..

Live in Davidson County....Great Schools, Low Taxes, Low crime....We even have a Wal-Mart...Ha Ha

Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,242 times
Default High Point

High Point is OK, as long as you stay on the outskirts. Its the inner city that is a mess. Greensboro has its own bad locations, as does WS and Durham. If you have kids, or are planning to have kids, then you just need to look at the NC School Report Cards to decide which schools you want your kids to attend and target those areas.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 PM

40 posts, read 117,669 times
Question JamesTown

Hi my wife and I are planning on relocating in August to the Greensboro area and I have been reading a lot of different responses on High Point. The reason why I am asking my question in this topic is we were looking at Jamestown, which seems to be in close proximity to High Point. What are some pros and cons of Jamestown that you could give me and does crime from High Point ever run off to the neighboring cities like Jamestown or is that a safe place to go. And my final question is Jmestown compared to Whitsett, which would you choose and why? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point