U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:06 PM

92 posts, read 267,275 times

Advertisements

I've seen so many negative statements about the High Point area on this forum. I've visited the area a few times, and will be headed back there in another week, but I'd like to know why it gets such a negative label? Yes there are areas that can use some sprucing up, but there are areas in most cities in the U.S. of A that are run down. That doesn't make the city a bad place to live.

What is everyone basing their pros and cons of High Point on? Is it economics, crime, population, race relations...what is it that gets this city painted negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 87,170 times
Default HighPoint

I really don't know a lot about HighPoint, everybody steers clear because of the Furniture Market- pre market will start in March & then the market will roll into full force in late March/Early April...this will happen again in October, people come from all over to exhibit or buy furniture....I'm talking from probably 250 Countries..... (my husband quoted that figure) some good deals can be gotten on the market showroom samples as the Market is shutting down,
every hotel in Greensboro and Winston-Salem will be booked solid for those 2-4 weeks twice a year and Greensboro and HighPoint residents will bunk at the homes of friends and rent out their own homes for large sums of money
You can imagine the traffic....Most folks local aren't involved in the Market, just the High Point folks and if you're not a part of it you steer way clear of it.
Some folks just don't want to deal with it even 8 weeks out of the year. I imagine prices go up everywhere
I know High Point University is there...that's about it.
Why don't you drop in during Market and experience it first hand, then you'll understand...Be careful though, I think parking tickets are rolling out as fast as the furniture during the Market
I suppose they're all pretty wealthy because I went there once to check out those great after market deals...good grief..I could furnish my whole house for less than the price of the showroom dining room table (and that doesn't even include the chairs) Happy Hunting

Last edited by Michael37611; 01-31-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks Michael. Your reply was/is very much appreciated. I've heard that about the furniture market, and i suppose eight weeks out the year isn't too bad. I'm planning on hitting the market next month, so hopefully it wont be too bad of an experience. I'm currently living in Milwaukee and our summer months are full of festivals and fairs...all causing traffic jams. So this shouldnt be too much to handle.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 65,141 times
:confused: I Feel The Same Way As Midwest Trans My Wife And I Plan To Move To H,point,and All I've Heard Is The Negetive Remarks That's So Scary Insidering It's Nothing Like Ny/ny Or Other Major Cities You
Hear About On The News State Wide.so Where Is This Bad Area In
In H.point? And How Large A Area Is It? Quaterback20/04

Old 02-08-2007, 07:12 PM

604 posts, read 2,637,383 times
Default High Point

I don't know if you tried this yet but this is where I start with all areas I am looking at.
I just Google search for every town for as much info as possible. I go to realtor.com and others to look at homes. I also do a zip code search on sperlings.com after I find an area that appeals to me I take a trip and look for myself.
Unless you have relatives living in the area I don't know what more you can do. Some of the posters here like one area and another hates it. In the end it's a crap shoot I guess.

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,778,058 times
Default Hp

I take it from your User Name that you're from the midwest.

High Point is probably different than most midwestern blue-collar areas in that it has a very large lower class and minority population. The schools in HP "proper" are horrible, and it has a high crime rate. There are some nice showrooms downtown, but there are also abandoned factories and warehouses throughout the town (which have become nice places for drug deals and vagrants).

There are still some high-wealth individuals who live in HP (Emerywood section of town), but the middle class has moved out of HP north of town or into the neighboring counties.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM

No city or community is immune to crime. Not even the upper middle classe communities that hide their crimes. I honestly believe that it takes using common sense and just watching your back. Most crimes that have been commited and reported are petty crimes.

I'll be traveling to the area again this weekend and I plan to get out and see the city. I've been reading the news-record.com and did see an article on a homicide that occured on Tuesday, but it wasn't random. I've seen random crime here, I've dodged bullets here. This is what I'm trying to get away from. I don't see High Point as that kind of town. They're trying to do more to "grow" the city and I think it'll work. But it should not get the negative label it's been getting. Anytime you're trying to make a change there's bound to be an oposition somewhere, but I don't see there being too much oposing of growth within High Point. It can only get better before it will get worse. It's a beautiful place

Old 02-10-2007, 06:07 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,778,058 times
Default to each his own

You asked for an opinion, and I gave it. It sounds like you have a philosophy that all towns are equal, but I disagree with that. Crime does indeed occur everywhere in our society, but the frequency and severity can't be ignored - an occasional theft in a town doesn't mean that it's as dangerous as another town with numerous burglaries, assaults, homicidesetc.

Now I'm not saying that you will get mugged simply by visiting HP, but there are unusually large areas of poverty within a few miles of downtown HP (which normally translates into more crime). That type of environment isn't what people are looking for when they're selectig a place to live.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default whoa there JAS

I'm not discounting any information you've offered, but it seems that you may have taken offense to my comment. I was simply stating that no area is immune to crime. Contrary to what you read of my last reply I don't believe that all communities are the same.

I'm just trying to understand why High Point has been given such a bad name, that's all. Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion, and I appreciate yours greatly.

thanks

Old 02-23-2007, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,334 times
Default go to GOOGLE EARTH

The Public Library in Johnson City, Tn. has a google earth site, where you can get satallite imaging for any city on earth. In most cities, you can get a birdseye view of everything. I have visited every town I have ever lived in.....WBL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point