U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 AM

956 posts, read 3,595,544 times

Advertisements

When you look at the statistics, crime in Winston-Salem is about twice the national average. When you compare Winston-Salem to other large NC cities, the crime seems to be higher than most.
Since Winston-Salem is on our short list of retirement locations, can people give some additional facts on the crime. Scare me or reassure me, or just add some detail to flesh out the statistics. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM

29 posts, read 90,923 times
I can't roll off stats off the top of my head, but having sold real estate here for the past 23 years, I don't see crime as a problem here honestly! There are low income areas of the greater W-S area that have problems and there are domestic issues that lead to crime reports, neither of which would affect the average middle class buyer. My husband has worked in TV news for over 20 years and now works with the Guilford Co. Sheriff's department so he is all about knowing what's going on around him. Basic common sense things will keep you safe here...things like keeping your cars locked, keeping your home's doors locked, staying off the downtown streets at 3:00 AM. Don't make it easy, in other words, for petty crimes to take place.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM

910 posts, read 1,888,439 times
Crime rate is both relative and hard to assess IMO. I was looking at crime rate for W-S and Greensboro and comparing it to that of W. Palm Beach, where I live and while the index is lower for both the types of crimes differ significantly, I noticed that it appears there are way more murders and rapes here than in WPB, where car theft seems to be at/or near the top of the list. Somehow such details weren't very reassuring as I'm a female who'd be moving there alone...

In so far as relativity, well, S. FL is notorious for having higher crime. When I moved here in '97 from Dover, DE I was uneasy at first when watching the news but eventually got used to it and, generally speaking felt safe because, as mentioned above, I did what I could to stay safe. However, things do change and several years after living in the same apartment complex one day, in broad daylight one of two black teens walking/riding a bike by tried to snatch my purse (he couldn't and I got back in my car and chased him, then the police caught him). Then, maybe a year or two after that, due to a big rise in rent prices, aggravated after the hurricanes of '04 when lots of homes and buildings suffered roof damage, my children and I didn't have many choices of affordable places to move to so we ended up in a neighborhood of dubious safety. At first my only complaint was noise but during the last two years drug trafficking became a serious problem and shootings started to happen. The last one, and more serious to us, on July 3rd, right next to our house. One man resulted dead and another critically wounded so, IMO, anything better than that would certainly be an improvement.

Now back to the murder and rape thing, is it really that bad over there? It rates pretty low by comparison down here...

Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
From the NC State Bureau of Investigation (SBI):

City of Greensboro:
Murder - 39
Rape - 94

City of Winston-Salem:
Murder - 26
Rape - 126

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...Summary%20.pdf

Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - West Palm Beach, FL is ranked #40th.

NC cities in the Top 100

Charlotte #50
Fayetteville #59
Winston-Salem #72
Wilmington #78
Greensboro #92

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 08-30-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 PM

33 posts, read 102,869 times
well liveing on the north side of high point really crime is everwhere even out in the county the police still have shootings and drugs but not a much, still happens everyday just today guilford county sheriff shot a man running after him with an axe

Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 AM

910 posts, read 1,888,439 times
Quote:
Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - West Palm Beach, FL is ranked #40th.

NC cities in the Top 100

Charlotte #50
Fayetteville #59
Winston-Salem #72
Wilmington #78
Greensboro #92

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf
Yeah, I know, WPB is not a "walk in the park" but when I checked the local statistics rapes and murders are higher over there. Personally, I believe a lot of crimes can be prevented by taking appropriate measures so I'm not going to let the above be the sole criteria by which I choose a place.

Right now I'm "stuck" in my search. I also began researching Greenville, SC but so far haven't found any deciding factor (other than a slower migration rate there) to" tip the scale" in any one direction. Several times it's been suggested to me to just take a trip over to see for myself but that's easier said than done. First, it requires $$; also a clear mind and motivation to effect a good plan and right now I have neither. I will soon be getting some $$ that I can use for this purpose but lately I've been feeling awful due to my allergies (mold the main culprit...) so my mind is often "foggy" and my mood rather low. It just seems too overwhelming to make such a trip on my own not knowing anything or anybody and unless I make this trip in October it'll have then to wait till Spring.
The classical "catch-22", won't get better until I get out of here but can't do much about getting out of here until I feel better...

Sorry for the "whine", somehow I just "needed" to get that out...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point