Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,786 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My husband has a job in Mocksville, NC We are planning to move but I am not sure which would be a good area to choose. can anyone tell me about schools in the Winston Salem Area and the Statesville Area. If you can choose which would you choose based on schools. I see that schools in both area are crowded, is my observation true. I have 2 kids in elementary school.Also is there a place where I can find which middle and high school will the kids go to depending on the elementary school.

I'll be coming to Clemmons, next week. Please help me in finding the right place.

Thank You
SK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM

112 posts, read 290,176 times
Mocksville is in Davie County. If i were you, i'd live in Davie County. The schools are generally considered better than Forsyth County, where Winston Salem is. Several of my co-workers (downtown WS) live in Advance, just into Davie, for the schools and lower tax rates. There is a ton of development going on in the eastern half of that county.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM

247 posts, read 997,522 times
Stay in Davie County. Their schools are good. If it's a little too rural for you I would suggest Clemmons. Not that far of a commute and the schools are decent in that area.

Do not move to Statesville.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 11,786 times
Default Schools

Thanks. we would like to move to lewisville/clemmons. we are not very keen on Davie county (too rural) How is lewisville elementary school compared to Southwest elementary school. I have 2 kids both in elementary now. I heard meadowlark middle school is good. can anyone shed some light on the elementary and midlle schools in the area please

Thanks
Shri

Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
One thing you have to remember about Davie County...they only have 1 High School in the whole county and it is very over crowded. I would not say that their schools are any better than Clemmons (West Forsyth). Be smart and do your homeowrk!

My brother & wife & kids live in Bermuda Run West in Advance (Davie County) and they send their kids to Forsyth County Schools.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM

63 posts, read 125,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
One thing you have to remember about Davie County...they only have 1 High School in the whole county and it is very over crowded. I would not say that their schools are any better than Clemmons (West Forsyth). Be smart and do your homeowrk!

My brother & wife & kids live in Bermuda Run West in Advance (Davie County) and they send their kids to Forsyth County Schools.

I am interested in this thread. In your opinion, which district would be better if you are interested in an area like Advance vs. Clemmons? Forsythe or Davie county? In other words, which would you prefer to send your kids to school to?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

Do you thihnk that a new school may be in the works...how long will they put up with overcrowded schools?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
The Davie County voters defeated a bond issue last year (or was it two years ago?) that would have provided for for a new high school. I don't live there, but from reading the Winston-Salem paper, it appears that there is a deep divide between those who want a second school vs. those who want the current school upgraded and enlarged. I think some of it has to do with the idea if there is a new (second) high school built it would have to be in the eastern end of the county - Advance, where the growth is - and would become an upper-class enclave. Another reason for the bond issue defeat was a distrust of/dissatisfaction with members of the school board and the superintendent at the time (who has since been replaced).

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM

That is interesting. It seems that if a school is built in the eastern end of the county it may hurt the existing high school, which now has all the students--and as you said, create a class divide. Something to consider when looking into Advance or Bermuda Run for the sake of schools.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
So the result is allowing those anti-new school voters to punish students throughout the county by continuing with one high school that is at least a 30 minute drive from Advance?

My family lived in Advance a few years ago beginning in my 4th Grade year, and I attended Davie High for 9th and 10th Grades - I endured those looooooong bus and car trips for two years. When we moved to Clemmons I noticed a big difference between the schools...but to the advantage of West Forsyth. Davie was COUNTRY and a lot of the people were COUNTRY. I found West to be a better school with better teachers and a more challenging academic program. I'm sure Davie County and Davie High have progressed since then, but I would still place Clemmons and West Forsyth a notch above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point