U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
779 posts, read 2,932,482 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Hey all, this is the happy holiday shopping thread! Since I was able to pick some fresh vegetables and fruits here in the Triad this summer, I was wondering if anyone had a great recommendation for Pumpkin picking?

Also, are there any Christmas Tree farms out this way, so far south?

And finally, are there any annual Christmas Markets or Festivals that happen in the Triad (or Triangle for that matter, why exclude?) that are worth visiting? I have to admit I spent over a decade in Germany and I really do miss the Kriskindle markets with piping hot Gluehwein!

It's only just now September and I'm feeling the spirit pretty early this year!! YAY!!! *boing boing*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
 
247 posts, read 916,840 times
Reputation: 78
I would recommend this place for pumpkin picking and family fun:

Kersey Valley Maize Adventure - High Point, NC

I do not recall any Christmas tree farms this far south. Most are in the mountains around Boone, Blowing Rock, etc.

I know there are a few Christmas festivals. They usually start in November. I'm sorry I can't be more help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,428 posts, read 9,255,706 times
Reputation: 2038
You can start with the Holiday Market Nov. 7-9 at the Greensboro Coliseum

Greensboro Coliseum Complex - War Memorial Auditorium, Special Events Center, Carlyle Club - Greensboro, North Carolina (http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/calendar_details.cfm?id=999 - broken link)

Then there's the Craftsman's Classic Nov. 28-30 at the Greensboro Coliseum

Greensboro Coliseum Complex - War Memorial Auditorium, Special Events Center, Carlyle Club - Greensboro, North Carolina (http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/calendar_details.cfm?id=998 - broken link)

Then there's the Christmas Made in the South show Oct. 24-26 at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center

Carolina Shows Inc....Festivals in the South (http://www.madeinthesouthshows.com/2008/char_info%202008fall.htm - broken link)

Then there's the Southern Christmas Show Nov. 13-23 at the Charlotte Merchandise Mart (now The Park)

Southern Christmas Show - Southern Christmas Show

There are the Festival of Lights in Clemmons and the lights in McAdenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Guilford Community, Greensboro
71 posts, read 257,648 times
Reputation: 30
A great thing to go to is the Christmas Candle Tea that the First Moravian Church on Elam Avenue in Lindley Park holds every year. Delicious Moravian baked goods, beautiful music, coffee, crafts and all of that. It is normally the first weekend in December. But I'll check up on it to confirm.

Also, even though it is not holiday related, an annual tradition of mine is to go to the Greek Festival at our Orthodox Church at the corner of Friendly and Westridge. It's coming up the weekend of Sept. 19, 20, 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 09:25 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Reputation: 8901
Default Pumkins and trees and markets

If you insist on going to a tree farm for your Christmas tree you will have to drive toward the mountains which is a 1-2 hour trip (road trip!) or you can wait and the tree farmers will bring their product here. Same goes for the pumpkins; when the season comes "pumpkin patches" will pop up everywhere around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
779 posts, read 2,932,482 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caodhan View Post
Also, even though it is not holiday related, an annual tradition of mine is to go to the Greek Festival at our Orthodox Church at the corner of Friendly and Westridge. It's coming up the weekend of Sept. 19, 20, 21
I read about that in the paper! I was thinking of going...what's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
779 posts, read 2,932,482 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
You can start with the Holiday Market Nov. 7-9 at the Greensboro Coliseum

Greensboro Coliseum Complex - War Memorial Auditorium, Special Events Center, Carlyle Club - Greensboro, North Carolina (http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/calendar_details.cfm?id=999 - broken link)

Then there's the Craftsman's Classic Nov. 28-30 at the Greensboro Coliseum

Greensboro Coliseum Complex - War Memorial Auditorium, Special Events Center, Carlyle Club - Greensboro, North Carolina (http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/calendar_details.cfm?id=998 - broken link)

Then there's the Christmas Made in the South show Oct. 24-26 at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center

Carolina Shows Inc....Festivals in the South (http://www.madeinthesouthshows.com/2008/char_info%202008fall.htm - broken link)

Then there's the Southern Christmas Show Nov. 13-23 at the Charlotte Merchandise Mart (now The Park)

Southern Christmas Show - Southern Christmas Show

There are the Festival of Lights in Clemmons and the lights in McAdenville.

Thanks Superk, great links!!! Is there a link for the Festival of Lights, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
779 posts, read 2,932,482 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippster View Post
I would recommend this place for pumpkin picking and family fun:

Kersey Valley Maize Adventure - High Point, NC

I do not recall any Christmas tree farms this far south. Most are in the mountains around Boone, Blowing Rock, etc.

I know there are a few Christmas festivals. They usually start in November. I'm sorry I can't be more help here.
Thanks! What a fantastic website!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top