Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 AM

3 posts, read 5,965 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
my son just moved here from binghamton, NY. Here in burlington, NC I do not know what there is to do for someone his age. He just moved out from a group home type of situation and I do not want to baby him. he is smart, very out spoken. he just needs help making friends here.
I only had one day off this week and worked all day mid shift at my laocal BP station. Boss does not want him to hang out at the store just to talk and spead his opions to everybody that comes in. He is not used to being by himself. So when it is time for me to clean my house i have no time to entertan him. Hubby told me to let him get used to being here. Then give him chores to do. So when they had three days off this week and I worked I asked them to help me out.
Nither one heard me. Then hubby complains that my son said to him the house is a mess and they must think little faries come in the night to clean. I am not feeling well due to crocic fatage and fibromyliga. a lot of stress at work. We lost a fulltime worker and cash register is not working right
I need help. My hubby asked me to call around places and then have them to call back to ask for my son. There is no listing for 19 years old looking for something to do in the phone book. Hell the only friends I have are at work. The customers is all I know, We just moved here 2004 and I do not drive. hubby does but works.
I need help. I do not want to loose my son and have him move back to NY state as soon as his dad helps him perfect is driving skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
You mention that your son is 19, an age in which young men should be either working or studying but because I also read he came from a "group home type situation" I'm assuming that for some reason he can't do either.

The only idea I have would only work if you are a Christian or at least not closed to getting help from that source. If I were in your place I would contact some fairly big churches and ask for their youth pastor, then explain the situation and ask what activities they may have that he could get involved in (sports, games, outings), this way he could be "entertained" in a safe environment while making good new friends.

Btw, I really feel for you. I also suffer from fatigue and I'm allergic to dust so in order to do cleaning I have to wait for a time I have some energy and must wear one of those paint masks (but often forget so I often feel terrible the next day). I don't have a husband but my two children who live with me don't like helping a whole lot so things are never the way I'd like them to be.

I'm very much into natural healing and because I have a sister who has fibromyalgia I've researched it a bit. Stress is a big factor (and I see you're having quite a bit of it right now...) and so is diet. Please take care of yourself by eating healthily, finding your own ways to relax and get some spiritual/emotional support. If you need someone to "talk" to just PM me and I'll "listen", very often it's very therapeutic sharing our problems with someone else.

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 09-05-2008 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Find out what he is passionate about, help him find that, help him find ways to volunteer towards those goals. Are there things he would like to try in life? It's time to try them out! Everyone at that age has ideas of the kinds of things they'd like to do in their lifetime. Help him work towards those goals. Sit down with him, make a list. Big ones and small ones. I don't live in Burlington, so I can't otherwise be of help, but try to look at the big picture... Good luck.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Ask your customers and explain your situation without sounding needy. My job requires me to be in convenient stores and one thing I have noticed is many of the customers are regulars and may have helpful advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point