Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 57,920 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Im a canadian RN in the process of relocating down to north carolina. Planning a scouting trip in the near future, have down my homework and have narrowed down my areas to either Greensboro or Raleigh durham area.
I want to hear from locals tho....which do you think is the better place to live?
Which is prettier, more hilly, more things to do in the way of biking, walking, outdoors stuff. I dont have kids, dont care about school systems and all that jazz....just want to get a good feel for either city. I want green spaces, something with a bit of culture (more then strip malls)....but im not artsy fartsy either.

What do you guys think? Lay it on me, i wanna hear the truth!

Thanks
Aimee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,256,987 times
I live in Greensboro and really love it here.

Raleigh, Durham and Greensboro are all kind of hilly, but the further west you go, the hillier it gets. So Greensboro may be a little hillier.

Greensboro has some nice parks where you can bike and walk. I'm not sure what other outdoorsy things there are here. I'm not much of an outdoors person. Pilot Mountain isn't too far. Neither is Hanging Rock or Stone Mountain. I imagine they're good for hiking and rock climbing.

Raleigh has pretty good museums. Art, history, science. They also have a symphony and I'm sure plays also.

Greensboro has a natural science center, history museum, and arboretum. Broadway shows sometimes come here. I'm sure they go to Raleigh also.

In my opinion, Greensboro is the most attractive of the three cities. Raleigh would be second.

Good luck making your decision. If you can make a trip down here and check out all three cities, I'm sure that would help.

All the best.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM

715 posts, read 1,665,021 times
There are more things to do in Charlotte or Raleigh, but the cost of living in Greensboro is WAY less....and the traffic isn't nearly as bad. It's right in the middle of the state....really a great place to live.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,887,007 times
I have relatives in both areas. I'd personally choose the Greensboro/Winston Salem area.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,895,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirly79 View Post
Hey all! Im a canadian RN in the process of relocating down to north carolina. Planning a scouting trip in the near future, have down my homework and have narrowed down my areas to either Greensboro or Raleigh durham area.
I want to hear from locals tho....which do you think is the better place to live?
Which is prettier, more hilly, more things to do in the way of biking, walking, outdoors stuff. I dont have kids, dont care about school systems and all that jazz....just want to get a good feel for either city. I want green spaces, something with a bit of culture (more then strip malls)....but im not artsy fartsy either.

What do you guys think? Lay it on me, i wanna hear the truth!

Thanks
Aimee
I have lived in Greensboro and Raleigh and I think Raleigh is, BY FAR, the better city. I felt Raleigh had many more things to do, better greenways, and is MUCH prettier.

Greensboro is more of a blue-collar city overall in my opinion. There aren't many places to go hang out, either. Winston is a dump (as is many area of Durham) and Greensboro doesn't even have a decent Mall. Raleigh has 3 malls that are all top-notch and nice shopping/dining areas like North Hills, Cameron Village, etc.

Raleigh also has more events such as concerts, plays, theater, etc.

Aside from the fact I met my current wife in Greensboro, and we got married there, I don't have any special fondness for the place.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM

124 posts, read 166,540 times
Aimee:

I spend time in both areas for work. I also call on nurses in my line of work. I have a lot of transplanted RNs in Raleigh who love it. It is more "cosmopolitan" with more to do. Great, great medical facilities in both areas but overall the RN clients I call on just simply seem happier in Raleigh!

The previous poster mirrors my thoughts. I personally find it important to have arts, shopping, etc available. Raleigh reminds me of a smaller, cleaner Charlotte! Upscale shopping, friendly people. Not to knock Greensboro but if I had to choose, it would be Raleigh by FAR.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,256,987 times
Actually, Greensboro has a very good mall. Four Seasons Town Centre. As well as Friendly Shopping Center. Both of which I shop at almost weekly.

I personally think Greensboro is more attractive (it's a matter of personal taste) and is certainly less hectic. I always get nervous in Raleigh with all that traffic.

I've lived in both cities and prefer Greensboro.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,870 times
Cool Greensboro Isn't Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I have lived in Greensboro and Raleigh and I think Raleigh is, BY FAR, the better city. I felt Raleigh had many more things to do, better greenways, and is MUCH prettier.

Greensboro is more of a blue-collar city overall in my opinion. There aren't many places to go hang out, either. Winston is a dump (as is many area of Durham) and Greensboro doesn't even have a decent Mall. Raleigh has 3 malls that are all top-notch and nice shopping/dining areas like North Hills, Cameron Village, etc.

Raleigh also has more events such as concerts, plays, theater, etc.

Aside from the fact I met my current wife in Greensboro, and we got married there, I don't have any special fondness for the place.
I agree with you that Raleigh has more night life than Greensboro. But our downtown is increasing getting to be a hot spot. There are a lot of young people that go downtown to socialize in the bars and clubs. However, I strongly disagree with you about Greensboro is a blue collar city. I am from Greensboro and lived there for 22 years and attend college there. There are very little industry and a lot of service and education jobs. Greensboro is a big college town. There are 6 colleges and universities alone in the city limits plus there are a lot of upscale neighbor hoods with nice homes. Greensboro is like a big neighborhood with a lot of trees.

Greensboro is also a better choice for family minded people. Raleigh has high crime and outrageous cost of living. Plus Greensboro has a more southern feel then Raliegh. Greensboro shopping is just as good as Raleigh. We have several new outdoor malls with top class stores and a indoor mall. It’s not a store in Raleigh that Greensboro doesn't have. In addition, we have malls in neighboring cities like High Point and Winston Salem which are minutes away.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 AM

476 posts, read 1,131,090 times
Default Forbes Best Cities for Singles

I travel to Raleigh on occasion for work and have friends who live there. They all seem to love it. "They" are blue collar families and white collar singles.

That said, as a single person, I'd be interested in the fact that on Forbes Best Cities for Singles list, Raleigh ranked 6th while Greensboro squeezed in at 40th. (see link below for details)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/3/0...gles_land.html

Let me know what you decide as I'm between Raleigh and Charlotte myself.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,021 times
My two cents:

We moved from NY, 12 years ago. We looked at the MSA's (Metro Statistical Area) of Greensboro-Winston, Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte-Mecklenburg.

Having done the Metro thing, (lived in NY, Atlanta and Philadelphia) we were looking more for an area to settle down and raise a family.

All three areas have relatively the same populations. Charlotte is a wanna-be Atlanta. Raleigh-Durham is a pseudo-yuppie area. Greensboro-Winston lacks a big-time identity.

Let's face it, it is not where you live but what you do with where you live.

As far as NC being a good old boy/countrified state.. We are the 9th largest (by population) state in the US, ahead of most northeatern states. As a fact fact, if you were to discoutn NYC, we would be far larger than New York state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point