U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 AM

118 posts, read 409,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by battles714 View Post
Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply. I look forward to a more peaceful life. The constant sirens, shootings and school violence around my children keeps me awake many a night. I know that there may be prejudices against me because I am from NY (people believe that we are rude and money hungry), but I believe that I can adapt to country life. Please feel free to advise me again anytime!

Sincerley,
Ebony of Brookln
Ebony,

I moved here (Charlotte/mecklenburg) from East NY and I love it here. I do miss the subway. Driving everywhere can be a little annoying. But thank goodness parking isn't like BK. I love the weather, don't miss the cold one bit. My beau is a native Charlottian, he always calls me a yankee... All in fun. Great place to live. Charlotte has grown a great deal since I moved here six years ago. I'm in my late 20's. Good luck on your move. If I can help in any other way. Let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM

27 posts, read 122,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles714 View Post
...I am looking to find a school district that pays in the $34-37,000.00 range...
Ebony,

I saw something on the news last night about Guilford County (just to the east of Forsyth Co.) offering better pay than Forsyth County and, if I remember correctly, a $2000 signing bonus. The segment said the combination of these factors caused Forsyth Co. to lose something like 15-20 teachers to Guilford Co. for the '07-'08 school year. You could still live in Winston-Salem or Kernersville if you wanted to and commute to Guilford Co.

Here's the link to GCS:

GCS Online

Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM

525 posts, read 1,925,695 times
If you need housing, I know some agents in the Winston area who can help you find what you need. And it's trure- more house for less money here in NC! I have transplanted many yankees down here (and in some cases their entire extended families!) so I know how to help you with the "culture shock." and it's estimated that 50 million people will be moving from the North down to the South in the next 15-20 years, so you won't be the only one without a "southern accent" for long!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
ESH

2 posts, read 2,531 times
Hello all,

My wife and my self are also looking to move to W-S by the end of this year also to give our 3 girls a much better (up brining) and slower life than what they are currently force to deal with in NYC everyday.

Now we are having a real big problem like someone mention in another forum that her husband needs a job offer letter to closed on they new home am having the same problem can not complete my closing as I do not have a job can any one help please even if its just to get us a offer letter to show our mortgage broker,

Thanks,
ESH

Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 AM

525 posts, read 1,925,695 times
why not just run into a chain store (like Home Depot or Target) and get a job really quick and then transfer to NC? I have had clients do that before. Unless you need a "real" job offer...
Good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM
ESH

2 posts, read 2,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
why not just run into a chain store (like Home Depot or Target) and get a job really quick and then transfer to NC? I have had clients do that before. Unless you need a "real" job offer...
Good luck!
YOU BET!

A real job that will provide me with a copy of a job offer letter stating what my yearly salary will be.

I currently work in IT support.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 21,381 times
Default From NY to NC

I'll tell you what...
My heart will always be in NY BUT NC is a great place to "settle" and relax.
Just make sure you don't move to Fayetteville. Lack of jobs and high PWC (water & electric) bills!

I hope you do great things here

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM

75 posts, read 357,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESH View Post
Hello all,

My wife and my self are also looking to move to W-S by the end of this year also to give our 3 girls a much better (up brining) and slower life than what they are currently force to deal with in NYC everyday.

Now we are having a real big problem like someone mention in another forum that her husband needs a job offer letter to closed on they new home am having the same problem can not complete my closing as I do not have a job can any one help please even if its just to get us a offer letter to show our mortgage broker,

Thanks,
ESH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESH View Post
YOU BET!

A real job that will provide me with a copy of a job offer letter stating what my yearly salary will be.

I currently work in IT support.
There are IT jobs in Greensboro, but good luck finding a high paying one in Winston-Salem. You could live in Kernersville so you could commute to either W-S or Greensboro. I'm sure you know to check Monster, which usually has Greensboro IT listings. You can always check out Winston-Salem's piedmont triad research park for smaller businesses in need of IT support, but the pay might not be what you are used to in NYC. The housing will be a LOT cheaper though to balance things out.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,610 times
I just moved here from NY in August. The people are very nice and welcoming however religion is the word down here and I have found that if you are not involved with a church then you are not involved with the people. For some that might work, others need to consider this. Also, I teach in a middle school. The pay is way low, no unions, no full time subs, which means if you want a day you have to find your own sub!! and be prepared to do clerical jobs that are usually handled by counselors and secy in NY. There is a reason why the taxes are so low. I would rent beofrte I bought and see if you like it. There are pros and cons to being here just like anywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point