Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 31,113 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my name is Ebony and I am considering relocating to Winston-Slem, NC. I am on the verge of completing my bachelors degree and obtaining my teacher's license for NYS. I am looking to find a school district that pays in the $34-37,000.00 range. Can anyone give me any advice concerning which districts to look into, and also nice neighborhoods with homes in the 150,00-200,000.00 range. Your help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Ebony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
Winston-Salem Forsyth County schools start 1st year teachers at around
$31, 000. The pay is pretty low, but they need teachers. Most jobs won't be posted until after spring.

Here is their website:http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/

I don't know about other counties near Winston-Salem. I imagine the salary is pretty much the same. Some places like in Raleigh and Charlotte have a higher montly supplement, but it isn't much more than Winston's.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 PM

75 posts, read 383,711 times
There are many new developments within that price range. You will love the less harsh winters as long as you can take the slower pace of life. You may even find yourself starting to say ya'll My DH used to live in NY state and loves it down here now. He doesn't miss the snow shoveling at all.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 47,224 times
Hi Ebony!

You will love it here. I know the area for about 10 years and we finally bought a house at the end of september. I just moved here permanently 5 days ago, and my partner's been here since Christmas.

I can tell you my experience with looking for homes. There is a lot of nice homes in that price range. I know it seems strange; but you get so much for your money here!

Feel free to email me privately and I will send you links and tell you more.

Alex

Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,407 times
You will find out that the people here do not like newyorkers. I have lived here 16 years and the min i get a chance im leaving. look at other blogs on how these people hate yankees. they actually hate anybody that is not from here. Very opinionated people. They need to put up signs on the highways entering nc to tell people they are entering a disfuctional state. Live here at your owen risk. My wife was raised here and begged me not to move here, she was write.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
Default Nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamm1 View Post
You will find out that the people here do not like newyorkers. I have lived here 16 years and the min i get a chance im leaving. look at other blogs on how these people hate yankees. they actually hate anybody that is not from here. Very opinionated people. They need to put up signs on the highways entering nc to tell people they are entering a disfuctional state. Live here at your owen risk. My wife was raised here and begged me not to move here, she was write.
I'm a native Floridian who has lived here for 8 years, and I haven't experienced or seen any yankee-bashing like you have mentioned (apart from some good-natured ribbing).

Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply. I look forward to a more peaceful life. The constant sirens, shootings and school violence around my children keeps me awake many a night. I know that there may be prejudices against me because I am from NY (people believe that we are rude and money hungry), but I believe that I can adapt to country life. Please feel free to advise me again anytime!

Sincerley,
Ebony of Brookln

Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamm1 View Post
It not "Yankees", but just the attitudes some of us take down there when they relocate, which may not be appreciated.
I'm a born & raised Philadelphian, who also lived on LI for 2 years before heading down to WS. While they did recognize my Yankee accent, just asked where I was from.

Perhaps you weren't used to people not pushing and shoving, and folks actually saying unprovoked, strange things like "Hello", and "excuse me" all the time in grocery stores if they walk within 10 inches of you in an aisle? This was pretty foreign to me at first as well. But they are right to expect such considerations in return!!
It is laid back, and slower paced compared to up here, so you probably copped a demanding, high almighty attitude.
It's probably just the chip on the shoulder, "hurry up already" attitude, (more normal up here) which they are merely reacting to -- NOT the fact that we're "Yankees".

Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 AM

161 posts, read 683,231 times
Hi Ebony,

Have you considered Rakeigh, NC? They really need teachers, NC State and UNC are easy to get to for completion of your graduate degree and there is a lot of housing in your particular range, teachers make the salary you are seeking and we just need teachers here so badly.

You can check out the teacher salaries and available positions at www.wcpss.net. If you would like a relocation package email me
at lsprufera@fmrealty.com Good luck no matter where you go. You will love teaching and love the South.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Lightbulb Relocate

Thanks Lynn for the input. I am trying to get organized but it is hard. There are So Many choices. I will definitely look into what you suggested. In fact, I will email you to get more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point