Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple seeking information on commute to Winston-Salem in early morning 7-8, commute east to Greensboro in late afternoon between 12-5

Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the commute to Winston-Salem...

What is it like to go west to W-S in the early morning (like 7am-8am) and then EAST to Greensboro in the late afternoon (12-5pm anytime?)? I would really like to know from someone who has been, or is, travelling that route.

The reason I ask is this: I am considering taking the FTCC Diagnostic Medical Sonography program there (off silas Parkway, so South W-S) and I live in the Battleground area of GSO. We want to buy a house in the next year, and my dilemma is this...

1. Do we stay in GSO and I commute every morning at 7 am to get to FTCC (the program starts 8am)?

2. Do we live in WinstonSalem, and hubby commutes every day at different times as his schedule dictates? (he works in retail and his schedule is different from week to week, never has the same days off)

3. Or, do we live somewhere in the middle and both cars/parents are commuting.

Keep in mind we have a 3-yr old who will be going to preschool hopefully in the new year.

The whole point is to finish my studies (either as a sonographer at FTCC; or masters with WFU or UNCG in Counseling) in order to start making 40k a year. We are in our very late 30's (ahem!) and need to get on this ball to retirement and stuff in a hurry!

Ideas, comments, criticisms, confusion, humor? I invite it all. Bring it on!!
I'd kinda like to live in Winston-Salem and get our girl off to school in the am in order to make it to class by 8am - plus he has a friend from the DC area in W-S now. I like Greensboro, but I need more information. What do you guys think? Where should we move? Or should we just stay put? This is a great time to buy a house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
It's done all the time. I lived in W-S for decades and worked with many people who commuted from G'boro to W-S. FTCC is very near I-40 (not Business 40) so you'll have a straight shot (just a mile or so) from (or to) I-40. I think the busiest part of your commute will be near the airport and as you get close to G'boro on your return trip back to G'boro. It's really whatever you get used to, but giving up a short commute for a longer one is never nice.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM

273 posts, read 949,895 times
I agree. It's a fairly easy commute to/from WS/GSO at that time. I have to regularly drive this route (as well as the reverse) and I don't find it bad at all. FTCC is easily accessed from I-40 which has less traffic than having to go thru downtown WS on Bus-40. You will have to accommodate for traffic immediately around FTCC, as the parking/road situation around there is less than ideal. You have FTCC, WSFCS admin building and the Career Center traffic all trying to converge on Miller St. Just an FYI.

As far as your other questions, you may want to postpone the home purchase until you find where you will be ultimately working. School is only a couple of years, and hopefully your career will be longer.
There are plenty of great homes for rent all over that would be a good compromise for a couple of years until you find where you want to settle.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 AM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Oops, wrong spot for my post sorry! please delete........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point