U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 AM

179 posts, read 531,140 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking to retire to NC this year from Connecticut. Until now, we have been concentrating on the Charlotte and surrounding areas. We are looking for a quiet kind of rural area, but not isolated. Are there towns or areas in this part of the state where we might be able to find 2 acres or so to build a single level ranch home on ? Although it's not necessary we build new, it seems that might be the only way to get what we are looking for. Is everything in an area like this going to mean well and septic, or are there some places where we might find something like this with city water and sewer ? I also do not think we would be suited for a subdivision, as we like to garden and I like working on classic cars, and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. Otherwise we are a quiet couple in our late 50's who are just looking to retire to an area such as I've described above. Also, trees would be nice as my wife is a wild bird lover. Also being this will hopefully be our last home, as we age, it would be nice to be not to far from good medical care. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 PM

75 posts, read 356,856 times
I can suggest a few that might meet your needs (rural, but not too far from cities):

Clemmons
Kernersville
Old Town
Germantown

Hope you like short, warm winters most years. Leave your snowshovels behind!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM

179 posts, read 531,140 times
Default NCis4me

Thank you NC, I will start looking at those towns also.

Bill

Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 28,813 times
I personally am biased towards Kernersville, You would then be sandwiched between Greensboro and Winston Salem, but could own a farm if you so desired. If you want the Charlotte Area you should look into Salsburry. There are a growning number of commuters from Charlotte moving in there. There is still plenty of land and I would be surprised if you have a well, but most likely you will have to use a septic system unless you move into the Suburbs.
Basically it would come down to this between Salsbury and Kernersville or Clemmons: Do you want to deal with a hustle and bustle city or a more laid back city when you "come into town." Charlotte is a big city and smells and acts like it. Winston and Greensboro still have some good ole southern charm.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:18 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,170 times
Do you think Clemmons and Kernersville are really rural? I guess there are some areas around both places that might be a little less populated but I still wouldn't exactly say there is anywhere in Clemmons that would be what billjr is looking for. I could be wrong...Have you thought about Davie County? It's kind of booming with residential construction right now, but there are A LOT of open fields and small farms all across Davie. The northeast (I think) part of the county has a border with Forsyth and it's right across the Yadkin River from Clemmons, 20 minutes or so from W-S...but still have a nice country feel to it in many areas. It's worth a look...

Old 02-13-2007, 05:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Do you think Clemmons and Kernersville are really rural?
I was going to ask that question myself, especially in light of this news
http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193162337 (broken link)

Quote:
C.P. Morgan is expanding into the Triad, bringing more then 400 jobs and $41 million of investment to the area over the next two years.

The residential land-development and homebuilding company, which is based in Indianapolis, Ind., will construct its Triad office headquarters and a 9,000 square foot new home showroom in Kernersville just off U.S. 66, Winston-Salem Business Inc. said today.

C.P. Morgan plans to begin new home sales in May. Don Flow, a local business executive, and Bob Leak Jr., the president of Winston-Salem Business, were instrumental in recruiting CP. Morgan's expansion to the Triad.
Clemmons, I should think, would be out as well. All that growth along 158, heading toward the mall ......

Quote:
Have you thought about Davie County? It's kind of booming with residential construction right now, but there are A LOT of open fields and small farms all across Davie. The northeast (I think) part of the county has a border with Forsyth and it's right across the Yadkin River from Clemmons, 20 minutes or so from W-S...but still have a nice country feel to it in many areas. It's worth a look...
Yeah, the NE section is booming .. with high end homes. If someone is of an independent mind about what they want to do with their property, I wouldn't look there. I don't trust those who govern Bermuda Run to mind their business about what happens outside the perimeter of their burg

Western Davie county is more open, but has a very diverse range of houses. There are some really nice ones sitting next to single-wide trailers. I suspect with growth will come the demise of that type of diversity. Land is just getting too expensive to be able to buy 2 acres and set a trailer on it. HOWEVER, anyone thinking about Davie County needs to be aware that Duke Power owns a huge parcel of land, not that far from Advance, that has been held in reserve since the 70s with the possibility of building a nuclear power plant. We wiped sweat off our brows last spring when the announcement came through that Duke had chosen Cherokee County, SC for the site of a reactor, but would not rule out Davie County for the future
http://www.duke-energy.com/news/rele...2006031601.asp
Quote:
In addition to selecting the Cherokee County location for a COL application, Duke Power is considering the preparation of early site permit (ESP) applications for locations in Oconee County, S.C., and Davie County, N.C. Early site permits enable companies to complete environmental and site suitability reviews, and obtain approval from the NRC for potential nuclear plant sites in advance of requesting a license to build and operate a plant.

“Evaluating early site permit applications for Oconee and Davie counties further ensures generation options for our customers well into the future,” said Barron.
I would suggest looking at highway 421 west of Winston-Salem. There is country land there, with easy access to W-S. How long it will stay that way is all conjecture. Thankfully, W-S seems to have (so far) been spared the craziness of Charlotte and the Raleigh area.

Another poster mentioned Salisbury. That would be a good area to explore. It's a town with a focus on preserving its southern charm; trying to boost the economy thru business development while also saving its history and open space. In fact, the Monday edition of the local paper had an article about the city's greenways
http://www.salisburypost.com/area/302811010849941.php (broken link)
and here's an article on the restoration of a significant historical structure in town http://www.historicsalisbury.org/history_channel_project.htm (broken link)
You can head almost any direction out of Salisbury (except south. you are heading toward Concord and Charlotte, going that direction) and find rural land.

Last edited by silverwing; 02-13-2007 at 05:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I would suggest looking at highway 421 west of Winston-Salem. There is country land there, with easy access to W-S. How long it will stay that way is all conjecture. Thankfully, W-S seems to have (so far) been spared the craziness of Charlotte and the Raleigh area.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Yadkin County area! It's still more undeveloped than Davie and has a country-ish feeling to it while still not very far from W-S. It starts just on the other side of Lewisville on 421 and goes for miles. Good advice silverwing!

Man, the nuclear possibility is too bad for Davie County! My family lived there for about 5 years when I was small...it was REALLY country back then. I would still check on it as an option but definitely another would be silverwing's suggestion, out 421 west in Yadkinville/Yadkin County.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 13,763 times
There is a Duke Power nuclear plant at the northern end of Lake Norman and that hasn't seemed to hamper growth in that area (Cornelius, Mooresville, Davidson - some of the most high $$ areas around).

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Calling View Post
There is a Duke Power nuclear plant at the northern end of Lake Norman and that hasn't seemed to hamper growth in that area (Cornelius, Mooresville, Davidson - some of the most high $$ areas around).
I was waiting for someone to say that.

The Duke Plant and Lake Norman came before development (McGuire came online in 1981). People moving there can’t say they don’t know what they are getting into. Also, a plant built on the Yadkin isn’t expected to bring construction of a large, Lake Norman-type of recreation area, an amenity that makes people shrug when told that they’ll be living downriver from a nuclear power plant.

In Davie County, growth is first, with the possibility of a plant down the road. Those who live around the land owned by Duke know about that. People looking here ought to know that they may one day live in an area dominated by years of construction (it could take 9 years to build and bring a nuclear power plant online) and then something like this.

I don’t know if it is the duty of realtors selling property in the area to disclose that; most newcomers seem to hear about it from the old-timers who crow “yeah, we showed THEM when talking about the fight successfully waged back in the 70s-early 80s to keep Duke from building 3 reactors on their land. If people aren’t worried about living near a nuclear plant (folks in our neck of the woods grumble more about the impact on our rural area of all those construction workers and the estimated 900 people needed to man the facility, rather than worrying about glowing in the dark) then it’s no big deal. However, the facts about the possibility of a plant being built needs to be disseminated so people don’t move here and then squawk “WHAT! A nuclear power plant! Nobody told ME about THAT!”

Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 AM

328 posts, read 947,339 times
Default Look into Mt Airy, Dobson, Pinnacle ,Pilot mountain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
We are looking to retire to NC this year from Connecticut. Until now, we have been concentrating on the Charlotte and surrounding areas. We are looking for a quiet kind of rural area, but not isolated. Are there towns or areas in this part of the state where we might be able to find 2 acres or so to build a single level ranch home on ? Although it's not necessary we build new, it seems that might be the only way to get what we are looking for. Is everything in an area like this going to mean well and septic, or are there some places where we might find something like this with city water and sewer ? I also do not think we would be suited for a subdivision, as we like to garden and I like working on classic cars, and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. Otherwise we are a quiet couple in our late 50's who are just looking to retire to an area such as I've described above. Also, trees would be nice as my wife is a wild bird lover. Also being this will hopefully be our last home, as we age, it would be nice to be not to far from good medical care. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Bill
Bill ,
I currently live in Connecticut...I will retiring soon ....Wife and me are in our late 50's also.....We recently purchased a home with 4 acres in the Mt Airy area...Rural, not a subdivision to be seen. Well water and septic works great. Lot's of trees, wildlife and birds and nice people. 30 miles from Winston Salem where there is major shopping , culture and Hospitals...Mt Airy has a good hospital also....Any of the areas mentioned may have what you are looking for. If you like working on Antique Cars this could work for you. Beautiful affordable area at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains...Great views !!!!! There is plenty of land available in these areas. Take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point