Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM

131 posts, read 725,824 times

Advertisements

I live in Raleigh and can't find any local deals on furniture. I'm planning a trip to High Point this weekend and have never been before. Can anyone share which places have the best deals for bedroom furniture? I've heard to try Furnitureland South, but are there any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM

94 posts, read 393,806 times
Just a head's up on Furnitureland South (FLS) ...payment for purchases are either cash, check or by opening a FLS Credit Card account. They do NOT accept payment via major Credit Cards -Master Card, Visa, AmEx, Discover.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 AM

131 posts, read 725,824 times
Thanks for the heads up! I would have been angry to not have known that up front.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM

415 posts, read 1,209,777 times
Go dowtown if you really want to be impressed and the expesive things are there if you go away from the downtown area there are a bunch of little store (still nice) and then it a couple other places of intrest are Furniture Land South and Atrium Furniture Mall

Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM

94 posts, read 393,806 times
Lightbulb Instead of Furnitureland South...

I really liked Hickory Furniture Mart in Hickory, NC .... it's about 90 miles further West of High Point and layed out like a Mall. I personally found it less overwhelming and easier to shop -plus you aren't 'assigned' a venue Sales Associate.

Bonus!!! Hickory Furniture Mart Fall 'After Market' Sale starts next Friday (Nov 7-9) -usually Hickory Furniture Mart is Closed on Sunday.

Here's the link: Hickory Furniture Mart

Just a "head's up" for those that have a more Mid-Century Modern - Contemporary flair ...this style accounts for about 20% of what's offered at FLS and Hickory, so be prepared to do some serious legwork finding it. I have dark Espresso colored wood in my home and found it to be quite a challenge locating other pieces to compliment. A couple of months after my excursion I discovered Nowell's in Cary, this was by far a better option, though the trip was a great getaway.

Some Furniture Shopping tips...
  • Bring a camera (with extra batteries) to take pictures of items you like, items you like but can't afford and pictures of item Pricing/ID tags for Vendor/Style information -this helps in case you want to call back after you get home, or want to call around to price compare.
  • Bring wood sample(s) -if you can't get a small piece for a sample, look for a matching portable wood accessory already in the home (like a frame) -believe me, this will help alleviate those gold/brown, orange/brown, red/brown matching nightmares.
  • Bring fabric sample(s) - even if it's a washcloth, scarf, sock, pillowcase... I toted around a few home accessories (sm. vase, coffee mug) because I was working with a hard color - "blue-green"

Suggestion: The Town of Hickory is a neat area and about 35 miles South of Blowing Rock, NC -which is an absolutely adorable town ...beautiful scenery going up 321 and well worth the extra mileage. During my July 4th trip I stayed in Lenoir (midway between the two) and did furniture one day and took the scenic tour the next.

Weather permitting, I plan on taking a trip back there over the Thanksgiving holiday/weekend...

Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 22,015 times
Hi. I'm the owner of Nowell's Contemporary Furniture. Thanks for the endorsement, Autum11! Regarding the original question, about deals on furniture in Raleigh, I think you'll find excellent deals at our store (and, to be honest, at many other stores in the Triangle) if you are willing to be patient and shop around for clearance items, discontinued pieces, etc. We always have clearance items that are marked far lower than retail. I recall selling a discontinued but otherwise perfectly good, high-end German leather sofa, normally about $3,000, for $900 to a graduate student last year. He set out thinking he'd have to get something disposable, but ended up with something that will last him 20 years. In addition, like most stores, we have occasional sales where you can get a steal on almost anything in the store. I'd be suspicious of stores that ALWAYS have 30%, 40% or 50% off tags on all their furniture. No brick and mortar store could actually stay in business doing this. It usually means that they have cheap furniture that is artificially marked up, and then back down, to give the illusion you are getting a great deal. On that topic, I encourage everyone to buy good quality, even if you buy elsewhere. It is worth it to get things that function as they should, look great, and last a long time. You buy something cheap, and you'll just end up replacing it again and again, spending more than it would have cost to get high quality merchandise to begin with.

Last edited by JerryJames; 01-07-2010 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: misspelling and left out key point

Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Go dowtown if you really want to be impressed and the expesive things are there if you go away from the downtown area there are a bunch of little store (still nice) and then it a couple other places of intrest are Furniture Land South and Atrium Furniture Mall
FYI, don't waste your time in downtown, the majority of the stores are showrooms and are closed to the general public. While some are open to the public it's hit and a lot of miss. And most of the selections are showroom samples.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryNowell View Post
Hi. I'm the owner of Nowell's Contemporary Furniture. Thanks for the endorsement, Autum11! Regarding the original question, about deals on furniture in Raleigh, I think you'll find excellent deals at our store (and, to be honest, at many other stores in the Triangle) if you are willing to be patient and shop around for clearance items, discontinued pieces, etc. We always have clearance items that are marked far lower than retail. I recall selling a discontinued but otherwise perfectly good, high-end German leather sofa, normally about $3,000, for $900 to a graduate student last year. He set out thinking he'd have to get something disposable, but ended up with something that will last him 20 years. In addition, like most stores, we have occasional sales where you can get a steal on almost anything in the store. I'd be suspicious of stores that ALWAYS have 30%, 40% or 50% off tags on all their furniture. No brick and mortar store could actually stay in business doing this. It usually means that they have cheap furniture that is artificially marked up, and then back down, to give the illusion you are getting a great deal. On that topic, I encourage everyone to buy good quality, even if you buy elsewhere. It is worth it to get things that function as they should, look great, and last a long time. You buy something cheap, and you'll just end up replacing it again and again, spending more than it would have cost to get high quality merchandise to begin with.
To be perfectly honest I could have the same suspicion about the German sofa. How would the consumer know you aren't doing the same thing inflating cheap furniture and then marking it down to look like a deal? Perhaps some tips on what to look for & questions to ask.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM

31 posts, read 96,660 times
Priba in Greensboro has better stuff at better prices than anything in HP available to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point