U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 05:28 PM

13 posts, read 48,632 times

Advertisements

I'm going through a divorce so I'm in the market for a small condo/townhouse in the triad. I work on Piedmont Parkway in Greensboro (right off 68/East Chester) so the closer I am to work, the better. I'm not against living in Winston, Kernersville, High Point (which is where I live now) or anywhere else within 25 minutes of my job. I'm open to ideas!!

I may be better off getting an apartment first being as this market is so crazy but if a great condo/townhouse deal came along, I would jump on it.

I'm coming from a 2500' house so I know this move is going to suck but it is what it is. I'm 32 and I need to turn the page and I know my standard of living is not going to be what it has been. In other words, I don't have unrealistic expectations that I'm going to find a 1600' apartment for $600 a month.

I'd like 2 bedrooms & 2 baths if possible. I'd also really prefer a garage. I don't think I'll be able to find a condo/town house with a garage for ~ $90k but maybe someone out there has some ideas.

As far as an apartment goes, I'd like something no smaller than 850 sq feet and again I'd like a garage. If I'm going to be in an apartment I'd like to keep my monthly housing expenses including all utilities, phone, cable/internet, etc to ~ 900/ month. Is that possible? I realize if I opt for an apartment I will have to pay approx $90 month for a garage so I'm thinking I need to find something with a monthly rent in the $650 range. I'm in the dark in terms of what I should expect to pay for everything else in an apartment, all I know is it should be much less than I'm paying now in our house.

Also, I do not mind going to a laundry mat to do laundry. I get most of my clothes dry cleaned so going to a laundry mat once a week to do a couple loads is not an issue to me. That being said, what do most complexes charges for a washer/dryer and is it really worth it for a single guy? I'm thinking its something I'd skimp on for now but again I'm far from an apartment-living expert.

Any tips/ideas anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,545 times
I would suggest not getting a townhouse or a condo unless you a) plan on keeping it for a while, and I mean a while, or b) don't want to make any money when you sell it. There are lots of places near Piedmont Parkway that are popping up nearby but the resale isn't great, and lots of them are over $120k if they have a garage.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point