U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM

584 posts, read 2,218,684 times

Advertisements

Driving from Raleigh the Friday after Thanksgiving and am considering going to Old Salem with a group of 6 family members - no kids. We're also considering going to Charlotte instead...

We've got from about lunch time till 5 o'clock. Is that too much time in Old Salem? Any lunch suggestions that we *must* try? Anything else near Old Salem worth checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM

22 posts, read 131,340 times
I can honestly say I dont see spending that length of time in Old Salem... you might want to travel to Charlotte instead and visit Concord Mill Outlets or some of the places there in Charlotte.... simply to answer your question yes 5 hours in Winston Salem is a little long, you could go to Hanes Mall - after your Old Salem visit to kill some more time.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM

627 posts, read 1,868,195 times
2 hours at the most at Old Salem I would suggest.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,147,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Driving from Raleigh the Friday after Thanksgiving and am considering going to Old Salem with a group of 6 family members - no kids. We're also considering going to Charlotte instead...

We've got from about lunch time till 5 o'clock. Is that too much time in Old Salem? Any lunch suggestions that we *must* try? Anything else near Old Salem worth checking out?
If you visit all the exhibits and have lunch at the tavern, you should be able to do it, but be sure all the exhibits are open.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM

3,876 posts, read 6,700,372 times
I can't imagine a recommendation of shopping at malls (of all things) when a person is interested in Old Salem... good grief!

It should be easy to spend more than 2-3 hours in Old Salem... especially if you are thorough and are having lunch there, too. Be sure not to miss MESDA and the Toy Museum (yes, even adults will find it fascinating). To get the full Old Salem experience, definitely have lunch at the Salem Tavern. The Moravian Chicken Pie is a specialty... like Chicken Pot Pie, except more chicken and no veggies. Great comfort food for a cool fall day. Yummmm...

If you find yourself with extra time, you could always go "up the street" to the Downtown Arts District (centered around Sixth and Trade Streets). You probably wouldn't have time to go to the Reynolda House. Of course if one must recommend shopping, Reynolda Village would be more in keeping with the theme of the day.

If you want to research future visits to W-S and the surrounding area, the CVB is located in a old brick mill just a few blocks from Old Salem... speaking of which, the Cotton Mill Restaurant is another nearby place that's excellent. However, I've heard it's under new management. We moved from W-S a few months ago, so I haven't tried it lately. Not sure if it's open for lunch. The building where the CVB is located is worth a look-see since you'll be so close anyway.

If you had children with you, I say to visit the Children's Museum (between Old Salem and the CVB)... maybe a different visit with different family members.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM

71 posts, read 258,133 times
You could easily spend a whole weekend in Winston-Salem. Plenty to do.

I suggest the Museum of Anthropology at Wake Forest University. They have an interesting Dias de los Muertos exhibit going on right now.

Nearby to that there is Bethabara Park, a historic park of a once-existing Moravian town. Not as many buildings as Old Salem, but still interesting and historical.

(You will see signs for it off of University)

I recommend the Mellow Mushroom or Sweet Potatoes for dinner. Both are downtown. For coffee, Krankie's.

Also, just walking around downtown is nice, and the West End.

5 hours almost seems like not enough time for Winston. There's definitely more to the town than the mall.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

247 posts, read 918,089 times
Here's a great website of things to do in Winston:

Visit Winston-Salem - Visitor Center

And here's the site for holiday events in Winston:

The Travel Guide for Winston-Salem, NC - Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, Relocation & More! (http://www.visitwinstonsalem.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
Default decr8ng

If you're coming from Raleigh, you could take Business 40 before heading to Old Salem and stop in Kernersville. This is a great time to tour Korner's Folly. It's all decorated for Christmas and is an interesting tour. The Folly being decorated is a bonus from the regular tour!

Ride through historic downtown and visit the shops down there to use up some of your hours. If you wanted to eat lunch in Kernersville, Salem Kitchen is a quaint spot but I'd try to head to Old Salem and eat at the Tavern or West End Cafe and browse the antique shops.

Malls are the same everywhere....enjoy some of the sights you can only see in this area! You'll want to come back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point