U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 21,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, doing the drive on Monday evening. Wondering if anyone has any tips for places to stop to refresh on the way, or which route would be best. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,253,444 times
I usually like to stop off at the Pelham Road (I-85 Exit 54) in Greenville, SC. There's a nice assortment of restaurants, gas, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 AM

273 posts, read 850,821 times
Straight up I-85 to US-52 is the easiest route. I will second Greenville as a nice place to stop as it is right in the middle. Try to schedule your trip around Charlotte rush hour(s) 4-6:30 or so. Have a safe trip!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM

As always great advice on this blog. Thank you

Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,662,420 times
Depending on time of day, there's a great route to avoid Charlotte completely. When you get to Gastonia, take US 321 north to Hickory. Then take I-40 east straight to W-S. It's about 20 miles longer, about the same or less amount of time, and definitely less mentally fatiguing (than I-85 through Charlotte).

I'll second the Exit 54 (Pelham Rd @ I-85) for a rest stop. We live 2 blocks from that interchange, having recently moved from W-S.

Also, Exits 32 and 75 in SC seem to usually have the best gas prices.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 PM

7,012 posts, read 6,990,757 times
If you get to Greenville, try to take the time to see Main St. and the Falls on the Reedy at the end of the street. Very pretty. Lots of good restaurants along Main St.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
I'm originally from Winston-Salem and I've lived in Atlanta for 18 years, so I have much experience driving back and forth. There are rest areas pretty well spaced out along I-85...1. North Georgia 2. GA/SC state line 3. between Anderson and Greenville 4. between Spartanburg and Charlotte 5. SC/NC state line.

I definitely schedule my drive time (if possible) to avoid the traffic rush in Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte...so if you can do that you won't need an alternate route. My destination is actually Clemmons, which is on the southwest side of Winston-Salem...so I take I-85 to Charlotte, then I-77 north to Statesville, then I-40 east to Clemmons. It takes about 4 hrs 15 mins.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM

7,012 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Default From Atlanta to Winston-Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm originally from Winston-Salem and I've lived in Atlanta for 18 years, so I have much experience driving back and forth. There are rest areas pretty well spaced out along I-85...1. North Georgia 2. GA/SC state line 3. between Anderson and Greenville 4. between Spartanburg and Charlotte 5. SC/NC state line.

I definitely schedule my drive time (if possible) to avoid the traffic rush in Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte...so if you can do that you won't need an alternate route. My destination is actually Clemmons, which is on the southwest side of Winston-Salem...so I take I-85 to Charlotte, then I-77 north to Statesville, then I-40 east to Clemmons. It takes about 4 hrs 15 mins.
We are considering Winson-Salem as a retirement location. We presently live in the northern burbs of Atlanta. Do you think it would be a good transition, coming from the big city to W-S?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Did the drive to near WFU, via I-85 to I-77 and then I-40. Was able to leave Atlanta early which meant i missed their rush hour but did hot some traffic at Greensville, so just stopped (Pelham Rd) and got GAs and had a meal. Was good to go after that for a trip time of 4 1/2 hours when meal break taken out (about 5 1/4 with it in). Once again thank you all.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We are considering Winson-Salem as a retirement location. We presently live in the northern burbs of Atlanta. Do you think it would be a good transition, coming from the big city to W-S?
Well...considering you live in the suburbs and not really "the big city", it will probably be an easy transition. W-S is very much like Atlanta with its location in the Appalachian foothills and similar weather. If you like suburban living you should check out Clemmons, Lewisville, Bermuda Run, and maybe Kernerville. I grew up in Clemmons...it's a nice upper middle class area with a lot of transplants from all over the U.S. Lewisville and Bermuda Run are next door to Clemmons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point