U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,633 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Greensboro in a few months and I'd like to hear from folks who live or know people who live in Willoughby Crest Townhomes or Amherst Estates/Village townhomes?? They both seem nice, but I'd like some more info from people who live or considered living there........Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,513 times
Where are the locations of the townhomes?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,223 times
Willoughby Crest townhomes are built by Wade Jurney Homes, and they build a good home. I have never had any problems with their construction. The location is great, near a growing section of town and there are tons of shops nearby at Pisgah Church and Elm.

Amherst Village is built by Sutphin Homes and I am not familiar with them. But they are near Willoughby Crest, so that's a good part of town. I know they are close to some older townhomes on Baylor which haven't held their value too well. But that shouldn't affect these- much newer stuff in Amherst.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,334 times
I like the Willoughby TH's, there are near where we live, in an apt complex. We are looking for a SFH, otherwise I'd jump on those. People living a short ways East have their kids go to Brightwood Elem, but those at these townhomes have their kids go to Jesse Wharton. I checked on it. The location is very convenient, too!! You've got lots of important shopping nearby. I don't know anything on the other location. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,633 times
Thanks for all the responses! I'm visiting the area to look at the properties with my buyer's agent later this week (I'm really curious as to the $30K difference in the listing price when they're so close to each other and seem to offer similar features - from my web research anyway)........if anyone is interested, i'll post pictures and comments.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,334 times
Ok now I know which ones the Amherst ones are! I always just call that bunch of them up there the Nandina houses, since online so many are listed as being on the street Nandina. ok. Well here's what I think. The Wade Jurney home builders actually do build a kind of nice home for the money in my opinion, but they tend to build in areas which are less desirable to the community at large - maybe because they are still trying to build up enough equity to venture bigger in the future? Who knows.

What I do know is, the TH's they offer off Pisgah Church is a convenient location, but it is literally *right off* the road. There is one little street with the rear of the houses seeming more private. Otherwise they are either looking at each other, or, are going to have their rear sides facing Pisgah Church road which is a busier street. ---I have seen these homes go down, down and more down in price because for a while, well, no one was buying. It seems the market here is pushing in spurts. Not sure why that is.

The other homes off Baylor street, well, I think that's just a cuter area to live in. The newer TH's, like the ones you are interested, are very, very new and will have the new fancier kitchens, stainless steel appliances and crown moulding, for ex. They are right across the street from many other townhomes which are older and are competing for business. The older TH's across the way are having a hard time getting sold because of the attractiveness of the new ones, and the new ones are having a hard time getting sold because of the bargain prices of the older ones. It's a weird dichotomy!

All in all, the Baylor street area homes, whether TH or SFH are in a great neighborhood. There was alot of trick or treating there. The SFH's farther up the street are essentially cluster type small cottage like houses, curvy cul-de-sacs, treed, gardened, and quite cozy. So, that area has alot more curb appeal than the ones off of Pisgah Church. Additionally, I think perhaps many potential buyers don't realize that the Wade Jurney TH's are in fact Jesse Wharton Elementary district, since it's so close to 3 other schools: Joyner, Irving Park, and Brightwood, with the latter having the least good reputation.

--However I do know several good kids that go to that school and love it, have never had any problems and they are fantastic children, very polite and sweet and well-educated. Perhaps there is just too much hype about the more NW schools? I say, each family needs to figure that out for themselves.

All in all, the TH's off Pisgah Church seem like a good investment to me. They are great $ per sqft, convenient location, and in an area that is heading upwards. The Amherst homes are also this, but it's a bit more "neighborhoodsy," with actual streets and TH cul-de-sacs for the kiddies to ride their toys on, and so on. Bets check the price difference in HOA fees though!!

I hope this helps. I'd love to hear back from on which you liked best. Good luck in your search!
~ Angela

P.s. I visited two open houses for the older TH's on Baylor and those tended to have smaller kitchens and small closet space, plus the old windows. Price is great though for the first-timers! I also traipsed through one or two of the Amherst homes while being built and I really loved the high ceilings, exteriors, and those front doors are so quaint - perfect for a holiday wreath! I guess for you it depends on whether you want an investment home, or a home you really like, and of course it's up to you which one those are......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point