U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,406 times

Advertisements

What is the best areas(suburbs) in and around w-s to move with small children(3 and 1)? Any schools to avoid or any to recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 13,817 times
Default Schools/communities near Winston Salem

Hello,
I have a child enrolled in Davidson County schools and this area is highly sought out for this reason. If you move to the community called Wallburg, just 15 minutes south of Winston Salem, it puts you in a different county that being Davidson, which also has a MUCH less tax rate, so you'll save money on property taxes each year and if you move to the Wallburg school district, that's the best school system in the county per test score results and incident reports. The middle school and high school is called Ledford. So opt for Wallburg/Ledford schools, it's a small, great community with great schools and you'll also pay less in taxes versus Winston Salem/Forsyth County taxes, PLUS it's only 15 min from Winston. Also, right beside the community of Wallburg in Davidson County is a community called Midway. They boasts about the same test scores at their school wich is Midway Elementary and North Davidson Middle and North Davidson High and still in Davidson County for the cheaper taxes and still 10-15 minutes from Winston.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,276 times
I grew up in Clemmons...so I'll go ahead and suggest that it is a great place to raise a family. Friendly people, nice homes, excellent parks, highly rated schools, low crime rate...and 10 minutes from Winston-Salem on the southwest side, 5 miles from Hanes Mall shopping/restaurants. I loved growing up there and highly recommend it.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaname10 View Post
Hello,
I have a child enrolled in Davidson County schools and this area is highly sought out for this reason. If you move to the community called Wallburg, just 15 minutes south of Winston Salem, it puts you in a different county that being Davidson, which also has a MUCH less tax rate, so you'll save money on property taxes each year and if you move to the Wallburg school district, that's the best school system in the county per test score results and incident reports. The middle school and high school is called Ledford. So opt for Wallburg/Ledford schools, it's a small, great community with great schools and you'll also pay less in taxes versus Winston Salem/Forsyth County taxes, PLUS it's only 15 min from Winston. Also, right beside the community of Wallburg in Davidson County is a community called Midway. They boasts about the same test scores at their school wich is Midway Elementary and North Davidson Middle and North Davidson High and still in Davidson County for the cheaper taxes and still 10-15 minutes from Winston.
I second what you wrote. We are near Welcome which is part of Northwest Elementary, North Davidson Middle and North Davidson High schools. We couldn't be happier here. We do everything in Winston-Salem, yet have the the low taxes and great schools. It feels so quiet and safe out here. If you have to be in Winston-Salem you need to be where Jefferson Elementary and Jefferson Middle schools are located. I am not sure for high schools. I am not a city person, so I think being in Winston-Salem proper wouldn't be as nice and quiet. I also really like Clemmons and the schools there are excellent.

This website is NC School Report Card:
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/sea...Schools&GO2=GO

Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcol View Post
What is the best areas(suburbs) in and around w-s to move with small children(3 and 1)? Any schools to avoid or any to recommend?
Another thing. There are lots of schools to avoid in Winston-Salem. There are a few that are in the low performance status. The schools I can quickly think of that are in trouble are: Griffith Elementary, Konnoak Elementary, Ashley Elementary, Cook Elementary, Diggs Elementary, Easton Elementary, Philo Middle, Hill Middle, Carver High, and Parkland High.

I am sure there are more, but if you can't tell, I have gone through the Winston-Schools report cards many times trying to find a good school for my husband to teach at!! I have to add besides two bad schools I know of first hand, the rest are based on being in priority status from the NC Report Card website. I still wouldn't want to send my child to any school unless it is meeting at least "School of Progress" status. You can use the NC Report Card website for all NC counties.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,276 times
The schools in Clemmons are excellent, West Forsyth High School being one of only two high schools in W-S that received the "school of distinction" status. I despise those school and system report cards because they do not paint an accurate picture of an individual school and the criteria for rating the schools is not about real teaching and learning...alot of it is annual standardized test scores, attendance, etc. I'm not a fan of the way schools are labeled "bad" and "good"...it's wrong and it needs to be completely overhauled. Sorry, that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
The schools in Clemmons are excellent, West Forsyth High School being one of only two high schools in W-S that received the "school of distinction" status. I despise those school and system report cards because they do not paint an accurate picture of an individual school and the criteria for rating the schools is not about real teaching and learning...alot of it is annual standardized test scores, attendance, etc. I'm not a fan of the way schools are labeled "bad" and "good"...it's wrong and it needs to be completely overhauled. Sorry, that's a discussion for another thread.
I agree with you, but when you are coming from another area it can kind of give you a good idea if the school is in "low performing" status that there are probably some problems going on there. At least the test scores and ratings are accurately reflected at the school my husband ended up. It is as bad as the website indicates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point