U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Reputation: 2784

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
I have to agree with DeaconJ. I have never been harrassed by any religious group while living in the Triad and I have not had those racial experiences either. Seems like you are just looking for excuses to move back up north.
Those are both stereotypical views of people in the South...racists and religious zealots. How unlucky would someone be to happen upon both types? Both are a very small minority of people and certainly exist everywhere - not just in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Reputation: 14926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby in G'boro View Post
My husband and I moved here almost 2 years ago for a job and are now (hopefully) moving back north to our hometown area (Indianapolis 'burbs). We heard tons of great things about North Carolina before moving and came here very open minded and excited for a good experience. The weather is beautiful and so is the scenery, those will be what I miss most. However my good feelings stop there I guess. We have been very disappointed in the lack of safe areas and decent schools in the triad. If we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a home in one of the very few "good" school districts we were pretty much out of luck. We have also seen A LOT of racial tension here (we are caucasion) that has been very surprising compared to the area we came from and found people to be a bit closed-minded and intolerant of other races, religions, etc. Has anyone else had negative experiences here? I don't mean to upset anyone, as I have met some very kind people here and value those friendships I have made, but I guess I was a bit more shocked and disappointed with some things here than I ever expected. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Sounds like you moved to Trinity, Randleman or Denton.

Rest of the triad you really would not have any issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,083 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sounds like you moved to Trinity, Randleman or Denton.

Rest of the triad you really would not have any issues

Obviously you have never been to Randleman. I have lived here for most of my life and have never seen problems with racial tension or unsafe areas. I would go to any section of Randleman and never feel unsafe. We recently went to Greensboro, and while driving down a main road, our car was shot at and damaged. You wouldn't have that happen here. We were told by the police, oh well there is nothing we can do about it. I have seen way more tension in Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
 
108 posts, read 342,136 times
Reputation: 33
Default hmmm

hmmmm...Yeah i've lived in the south my whole life. Grew up in Wilmington, NC and moved to the triad 3 years ago. People i have run into have always been kind and considerate to me. I don't know where you are hanging out where religious groups are bothering you. I have never run into that. Even though my hometown is Wilmington I have found people are very kind here in the triad and that's why I have made it my new home. Maybe the south is just not for you, but I love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
 
37 posts, read 116,203 times
Reputation: 20
From Indiana forum:

#24

Newby in G'boro
Member
befriend
"Ready to move home to Indiana!"
Join Date: Jun 2007
29 posts, read 19,667 times
Reputation: 17



I lived on the west side of Indy and worked on the north side for several years. There are many minority friendly areas but I would not recommend the south side or south-west sides of town. Stay away from Mooresville, Martinsville, and other areas close by, I am aware of several racial-related crimes/issues in that area. As like most of Indiana, you will find mostly Christian conservatives as well. I found the best bet was to keep my mouth shut in conversations regarding politics and religion in Indiana.

[+] Rate this post positively

#6
08-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Newby in G'boro[/SIZE]
Member
befriend
"Ready to move home to Indiana!" (set 9 days ago)
Join Date: Jun 2007
29 posts, read 19,667 times

I grew up in Granger and it is one of the nicer areas to live in northern IN. If I were you I would stick with the Penn district area of Granger, I was in the Clay school district growing up and it has really gone down hill. There is more and more shopping and restaurants going into this area too.

[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by livnthedream; 12-03-2008 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Clean up paste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,028,195 times
Reputation: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby in G'boro View Post
My husband and I moved here almost 2 years ago for a job and are now (hopefully) moving back north to our hometown area (Indianapolis 'burbs). We heard tons of great things about North Carolina before moving and came here very open minded and excited for a good experience. The weather is beautiful and so is the scenery, those will be what I miss most. However my good feelings stop there I guess. We have been very disappointed in the lack of safe areas and decent schools in the triad. If we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a home in one of the very few "good" school districts we were pretty much out of luck. We have also seen A LOT of racial tension here (we are caucasion) that has been very surprising compared to the area we came from and found people to be a bit closed-minded and intolerant of other races, religions, etc. Has anyone else had negative experiences here? I don't mean to upset anyone, as I have met some very kind people here and value those friendships I have made, but I guess I was a bit more shocked and disappointed with some things here than I ever expected. Anyone else had similar experiences?
My WORST racial experience was in Shelbyville, IN. This town is not that far from "The Nap" as Indy is called. Also, the burbs of Indy are very very white. Inside the city of Indy you will find more blacks. No offense, but you guys probably would have been more comfortable in an all white area of the Triad because it sounds to me that all white areas are what you might be used to. I am not at all saying this to be mean. I am a black male and I am happily married to a white girl. Some folks that are used to one race are not familiar (thus not happy) with diversity and the issues that come with diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
779 posts, read 2,932,311 times
Reputation: 271
Well, I don't know about you all (beyond what's been shared here already) but I have experienced some racial discrimination since moving here. Used to be, in the Northern VA area, you could get snubbed by anyone at any time, and hey, usually you are. LOL! But down here, if and when I get snubbed, it's always a black person snubbing me or making fun of my "whiteness" at trying to be friendly or courteous. That has been pretty disappointing. I have often been hard pressed to meet anyone as well travelled as myself. I've been up and down and all around this wonderful globe, and the issues in this country are just laughable.

Everyone needs to just lighten up and stop taking themselves and everyone else so seriously. Someone crack a joke already! Skin color means nothing to me, so I'd really love it if (black) people would stop trying to convert me.

*************
Although...the worst discrimination I experienced for being white was in Hawaii. Don't move there! Unless you are Hawaiian or asian descent, you will always be lower class and made to feel it everywhere you go. If you are White, you are the bottom class. I got beat up ALOT in school, just 'cause I was white (Haole). My high school there wasn't too bad, but I was happy to leave there, onlyto land in some hobunk high school inJacksonville, FL to be handed out KKK flyers at lunchtime by aspiring skinhead wannabes. I told them they should vacation in Hawaii. *evil chuckle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
 
18 posts, read 45,278 times
Reputation: 16
Lets see. Black mayor, black police chief, black school superintendent, mostly black city council, What could be better or worse, depending on what side of the fence you stand on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Greensboro
627 posts, read 1,864,292 times
Reputation: 432
ibeg4sushi-

I have had the same experience numerous times here. It's always low class blacks with an attitude (usually in the service industry). That being said I have friends that are low class that are black and are some the most humble and friendly people I have ever meet. Salt of the earth people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Well, I don't know about you all (beyond what's been shared here already) but I have experienced some racial discrimination since moving here. Used to be, in the Northern VA area, you could get snubbed by anyone at any time, and hey, usually you are. LOL! But down here, if and when I get snubbed, it's always a black person snubbing me or making fun of my "whiteness" at trying to be friendly or courteous. That has been pretty disappointing. I have often been hard pressed to meet anyone as well travelled as myself. I've been up and down and all around this wonderful globe, and the issues in this country are just laughable.

Everyone needs to just lighten up and stop taking themselves and everyone else so seriously. Someone crack a joke already! Skin color means nothing to me, so I'd really love it if (black) people would stop trying to convert me.

*************
Although...the worst discrimination I experienced for being white was in Hawaii. Don't move there! Unless you are Hawaiian or asian descent, you will always be lower class and made to feel it everywhere you go. If you are White, you are the bottom class. I got beat up ALOT in school, just 'cause I was white (Haole). My high school there wasn't too bad, but I was happy to leave there, onlyto land in some hobunk high school inJacksonville, FL to be handed out KKK flyers at lunchtime by aspiring skinhead wannabes. I told them they should vacation in Hawaii. *evil chuckle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
 
7 posts, read 12,210 times
Reputation: 13
We've only been down here for two months so I am by no means an expert. I have not witnessed any racial issues so far. I'm white and the black folks I've dealt with so far have been great, real friendly, no issues at all.

On the religious side of things... I wouldn't call it harassment but in my two months that I have been here I had two dealings with baptist evangelists that really were not pleasant at all. They both started by asking if I would like to visit their church which in the beginning I did, but after 20 to 30 minutes of being pretty fanatically preached at I changed my mind. I couldn't talk to them at all. It was a 30 minute one way conversation of: it's their churches way or the highway.

Other than that so far, white, black or hispanic, everyone has been just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top