U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,102,800 times

Advertisements

I have to say this thread is sad on several levels. Original poster, you complain of racism/discrimination, yet you choose to paint the entire Triad with the same brush. I can tell you there are plenty of great public schools in Forsyth County, and they don't care how much money you make or what color your skin may be. My wife teaches at one of the best middle schools around, and she has kids of all socio-economic backgrounds. Funny, but they don't check the parents' bank accounts at the door.

You complain of a "lack of safe areas". Where the heck have you been hanging out? I can think of maybe 3 or 4 areas in the Triad that I would consider to be unsafe, and these are relatively small inner-city areas. There are many entire towns that have absolutely no "unsafe" areas--Kernersville, Jamestown, Clemmons, Lewisville, King, Rural Hall, Summerfield, Brown's Summit, and most parts of Winston-Salem and Greensboro--I wouldn't think twice about walking around anywhere in these places at midnight. It's just not a problem.

Could it be that the problem is not the Triad or the South, but you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM

143 posts, read 444,150 times
I haven't posted in a while, but caught this discussion while I was looking for some other information. My wife & I have been here in Mebane for almost three years and have not seen any higher percentage of what we call "yahoo" behavior - racism / fanaticism. I have to say that the only person I ever knew who was in the KKK was in NH and the rural parts of the Northeast have just as much assorted fanaticism.
Having said that, yes - the area is somewhat more religious and more Protestant than the Northeast, but so what? We simply tell anyone who asks questions of faith that it's a private matter to us and we're left alone.
One thing about diversity I will add is that there seems to me to be a much larger black middle class here than Up North. Most of the suburban towns in MA are on the order of 90% white and that's what a lot of folks from the 'burbs up there are used to. Our little town seems to be about 30% black and for the most part everyone gets along fine. Sure, there are the usual miscreants, but they're from all ethnic groups.
The culture is different here from the North, but it helps to embrace it or at least not try to buck it. Politeness counts for a lot more here.

Last edited by Steve W; 02-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 20,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby in G'boro View Post
My husband and I moved here almost 2 years ago for a job and are now (hopefully) moving back north to our hometown area (Indianapolis 'burbs). We heard tons of great things about North Carolina before moving and came here very open minded and excited for a good experience. The weather is beautiful and so is the scenery, those will be what I miss most. However my good feelings stop there I guess. We have been very disappointed in the lack of safe areas and decent schools in the triad. If we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a home in one of the very few "good" school districts we were pretty much out of luck. We have also seen A LOT of racial tension here (we are caucasion) that has been very surprising compared to the area we came from and found people to be a bit closed-minded and intolerant of other races, religions, etc. Has anyone else had negative experiences here? I don't mean to upset anyone, as I have met some very kind people here and value those friendships I have made, but I guess I was a bit more shocked and disappointed with some things here than I ever expected. Anyone else had similar experiences?
So, you're in Greensboro and you see racial tension? I'm from Thomasville, and I actually found Greensboro to be much better as far as racism goes. I hope you're happy where you're at though.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I don't know about anybody else,but I got the succinct feeling that,(even though it was not outright said),that the politically correct thing to do was to vote for the 'white republican man'. (and don't get me wrong..I'm white).I esp. got that feeling from some churches.Of course that may have been the republican side of it,race not being an issue..I don't know,but I'm not 100% sure that it was.(no stone throwing please,JMO!).I recall reading some ppl were afraid to put Obama stickers on their car,for fear of it being damaged,but I don't recall if that was in nc or not.
Yes,we certainly came a long way w the Obama win here,for sure.
The thing about the churches in some cases wasn't that Obama was black, but that he's pro-choice. I did attend a church service that was pro-Obama though. I don't believe in preaching any politics from the pew, but that was still sort of nice.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

58 posts, read 170,492 times
I am a African American female who moved here with my husband and daugters from Philadelphia 1 year ago. I was very skeptical about moving to the south in fear of racist people, unfair treatment and the deep old-south mentality. I live in the Northern section of Greensboro and was welcomed by my neighbors with flowers and candles when I moved into the predominately white neighborhood. While standing in the check out line at Home Depot a white lady behind me stated she wanted to do something nice that day and purchased my flowers for me. I have never experienced such niceness than I have here in Greensboro from all races. I would say up North I've experienced more racism there and would never go back. Most folks/strangers speak and say "Hello" in passing, up North wouldnt give you the time of day and is rude. I believe southern hospitality is alive and well down here, and hope my girls pick it up.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,932 times
I've lived here my whole life and I do see a lot of racial tension but only around where I live, if you live around Randleman rd. then this would be the reason, I'd advice moving somewhere else.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 34,657 times
I think it's funny that you say you are caucasion and not white. That's just such a northern thing (I'm from RI). I live in Chapel Hill and don't see the racism as much here. It exists in the south more so than when I lived in RI but that's because there were basically just white people in RI, except for the cities and i never lived in the city, so....

Maybe you just moved to a really country part of the state? I am moving to Mebane soon and it's less progressive than Chapel Hill, but I see inter-racial couples there, Obama signs, etc. I sort of think your being very general with your assumptions.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 PM

108 posts, read 342,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennscott View Post
I think it's funny that you say you are caucasion and not white. That's just such a northern thing (I'm from RI). I live in Chapel Hill and don't see the racism as much here. It exists in the south more so than when I lived in RI but that's because there were basically just white people in RI, except for the cities and i never lived in the city, so....

Maybe you just moved to a really country part of the state? I am moving to Mebane soon and it's less progressive than Chapel Hill, but I see inter-racial couples there, Obama signs, etc. I sort of think your being very general with your assumptions.
i agree please leave the south.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

251 posts, read 935,145 times
mswinendine,

Yes it is a stereotype that the South is more racist....I realized that when I visited
coming from California.....

People stereotype all areas NYC, SF..the Bay Area..all people are not one way in any place......

Glad to hear your move went well...My niece might be going to Bennett College in the
fall---she lives in Arkansas..originally from California....glad to hear it is friendly in Greensboro..

The South is a friendly place....

Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM

779 posts, read 2,934,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
mswinendine,

Yes it is a stereotype that the South is more racist....I realized that when I visited
coming from California.....

People stereotype all areas NYC, SF..the Bay Area..all people are not one way in any place......

Glad to hear your move went well...My niece might be going to Bennett College in the
fall---she lives in Arkansas..originally from California....glad to hear it is friendly in Greensboro..

The South is a friendly place....
Jacksonville, FL used to be really bad, but then again, no one considers Florida to be true south anyhow. *chuckle*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point