U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,052,517 times

Advertisements

Well, many moons ago the United States was segregated. When the first sit-in occurred in Greensboro, the choice of that city for this action was not haphazard. Because Greensboro has a large Quaker influence in public policy, this area was a hub of the underground railroad in the 1800's. Those who organized the sit-in chose Greensboro because, it was the largest Southern City where the protesters stood a really good chance of surviving the protest. None of the organizers wanted all the protesters to get shot down, this was the reaction they eventually got in Mississippi and Alabama. For Example, one young man was arrested for standing in the doorway of Woolworths, the charge was blocking a fire exit. The judge, in Greensboro, threw the case out of court, he believed that the young man would have moved had a fire actually occurred. Yes, there are neanderthals amongst us but, bigotry is not a mainstream family value with many of Greensboros residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM

10 posts, read 25,828 times
I am here in Kentucky and will be leaving this year. The people here are not helpful. You all are talking about racism. I had it from both sides all my life. I am mixed with African American, American Indian, and French. Here in Kentucky racism runs deep. Ignorance runs deeper. We had an ice storm here and the city was like a war zone. No electricity for 2 weeks. There were only a handful of shelters open. People were living in there apartments without heat. Some people died as a result. They city officials were very disorganized. The economy here is not very good and once people graduate from college they go to other states. I think North Carolina has come along in regards to improving race relation. I think the economy is more stable in your state. There are areas that need improving. One is the gang problem. The same problem exist in California, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Ohio, District of Columbia, New York, and Maryland. What we must become is active citizens. Not inactive. My brother lives in North Carolina and he loves it. Every state has it good and bad points. As my mom said no place is perfect. We must attend meetings, start neighborhood watch, work with the police, citizens against crime, and other programs. I am going to be a solution to the problem. I am not going to complain. Just enlighten people to the issues.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess8883 View Post
I am here in Kentucky and will be leaving this year. The people here are not helpful. You all are talking about racism. I had it from both sides all my life. I am mixed with African American, American Indian, and French. Here in Kentucky racism runs deep. Ignorance runs deeper. We had an ice storm here and the city was like a war zone. No electricity for 2 weeks. There were only a handful of shelters open. People were living in there apartments without heat. Some people died as a result. They city officials were very disorganized. The economy here is not very good and once people graduate from college they go to other states. I think North Carolina has come along in regards to improving race relation. I think the economy is more stable in your state. There are areas that need improving. One is the gang problem. The same problem exist in California, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Ohio, District of Columbia, New York, and Maryland. What we must become is active citizens. Not inactive. My brother lives in North Carolina and he loves it. Every state has it good and bad points. As my mom said no place is perfect. We must attend meetings, start neighborhood watch, work with the police, citizens against crime, and other programs. I am going to be a solution to the problem. I am not going to complain. Just enlighten people to the issues.

Another, not so little point, N.Carolina has this thing for education, the U. Of N. Carolina system has Universities in Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington, close enough to be commutable from almost anywhere in the state. Then, there are the other Universities and colleges, Community colleges et al, one is found in almost every county of the state. I have long suspected that bigotry is bred by ignorance. The state is working hard to relieve this aspect of life. (Also, and not exactly a little point, the citizens of our state are surrounded by some of the finest basketball to be found on this planet, tis the state Passion-it is contagious)

Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,401 times
I am so sorry you've had a disappointing experience! Overall Greensboro is fantastic in my opinion. No place is perfect, that's for sure but it offers a good quality of life.

I suspect that racial tensions or negative slurs you're hearing are coming from some specific group of people (or person) with whom you work or live near. Sometimes it only takes one or two bad apples to give such a negative impression. Go downtown one Sat night or try to make friends outside of the group you have currently been exposed to. You may find out that you have been greatly missing out on quite tolerant diversity and an embracement of ethnicity.

As far as religion goes, I can definitely see how you could feel harrassed. I have not known anyone to go out of their way to harrass anyone else, but yes this is the bible belt and I think that people are far less intolerant of someone who may hold no religious views or ones that are drastically different from their own. I have never witnessed 'harassment' but I could see where an open discussion could leave you feeling judged.

I hope you'll go out of your way to expose yourself to some different people. I am happy to introduce you to my friends....a great group and always up for fun and encouraging one another.

Good luck!

Lisa

Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Honestly I think that the people that think she's making excuses have their head in the sand. I was born and raised in NC and I have also lived in many cities here and i think that she is absolutly right. I have lived in Lexington, Randleman, and Asheboro for many years, yet I have also had the pleasure of travling at such a young age, and while living in Lexington I had my first experience with rasicm. I was 13 and an older man stood in my face and called me a ******.I responded nicely, but no 13 yr old should have to deal with that ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point