U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,628 times

Advertisements

I am from the Triad originally and would have to vote for Winston-Salem over Greensboro especially where the arts are concerned. I would not say that Greensboro is thriving or has a good nightlife either even though it is a nice medium size city. For that you should consider Charlotte. We have 2 art gallery crawls...1 in NODA (North Davidson Arts District) and 1 in Historic SouthEnd along with plenty of nightlife for your age group. Charlotte is probably more what you are use to coming from Austin & Kansas City...much larger and more things to do. That being said...if you want the TRIAD...I would choose Winston-Salem...IMO.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM

71 posts, read 257,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
First, if you're going to be a writer learn how to spell milquetoast.

Second, Greensboro is not expensive.

Third, Greensboro is DEAD arts-wise. I went to UNCG for a while. My wife got her MFA there. It is a very supportive program that is not too competitive. Some decent writers have come out of there.

The reality is that places where there are many working artists and are culturally vibrant are very expensive because a lot of people want to live there. Places that are affordable usually don't possess these qualities because if they did people would flock there and they would get expensive. See my second point above.

The only reason to live in Greensboro if you value the arts is if you don't have much money and have children. There are cheap houses in nice safe neighborhoods with decent schools.

Otherwise, win a Michener and go to UT or win a Stegner and go to Stanford or get in Iowa or somewhere. If none of these are an option gain a skill that allows you to find employment so you can afford to live in a place like Brooklyn or Echo Park or the Mission area of Sf etc. An mfa in creative writing will not grant you that option unless you are independently wealthy. If you have written everyday for at least a decade do the mfa. If not, beware. But know that cheap and artistically vibrant rarely coexist. And a coffee shop on Tate Street is not an art gallery.
Of course, Greensboro is no NYC or SF. But I think to say we're "DEAD" when it comes to the arts is wrong. Seeing as your wife got an MFA, I would think you would be in the know about the arts. Guilford College, the School of the Arts (right down the road in Winston-Salem) and UNCG are always having different kinds of expos of our musical and artistic talents. And it's not second rate stuff either. Weatherspoon Art Museum is also a fantastic (though small) museum.

There are also a few art galleries downtown. I know I mentioned this earlier, but the people at Lyndon Street are always showing awesome art as well.

We are not "DEAD". It might just not be screaming art right in your face. But if you look, you will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point