Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM

241 posts, read 338,595 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have a questions for you guys. I'm African American, however, I have literally two Rican buddies. They are few and far between here. My friend's mom is relatively new to the area around a year and a half(from outside Boston) and she only speaks Spanish. She's a housewife type, so she doesn't work and she's EXTREMELY bored living in G'boro. The cultural isolation, compounded by her lack of dependable transportation makes G'boro very dull. She's middle-aged and loves salsa and reggaeton, can you guys think of anywhere she can go to get out and have fun, possibly meet a guy her age? She knows about a few places like the few area grocery stores that sell Rican foods and a Dominican salon that just moved from G'boro to HP, but that's about it. Any other ideas? Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Anybody out there? I guess, I got the answer to my question...

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Patience, these things take time, it's not the most active board on city-data, that's for sure! I wish I knew, I would love to do some Salsa dancing!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Hey, I'm a very nice Dominican lady over 50 who's thinking of moving there. I've been corresponding with someone who lives close to Greensboro and he does a lot of salsa dancing so I could find out where this person goes. If she can use the computer at all you can send me a DM and give me her e-mail address (and I'd give you mine) and we could communicate in Spanish, that way if I do decide to move over there I could already have a friend and we could help each other, etc., OK?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM

Well, there's a place downtown called Artistika that's pretty popular and does lessons from 9-10:30 or something on Thursday nights. I think I'm going to take my friend's mom there. There's also a few other spots as well. Here's a link I found:

Salsa en Greensboro, North Carolina! SalsaPower.com!

I want to start salsa dancing or doing bachata too, it's great exercise and I need to do some cardio that's not boring.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hey, I'm a very nice Dominican lady over 50 who's thinking of moving there. I've been corresponding with someone who lives close to Greensboro and he does a lot of salsa dancing so I could find out where this person goes. If she can use the computer at all you can send me a DM and give me her e-mail address (and I'd give you mine) and we could communicate in Spanish, that way if I do decide to move over there I could already have a friend and we could help each other, etc., OK?
Just out of curiousity, what is it that you're tired of in south Fl? My friend's mom is planning to move down to Homestead area because her daughter's there and she visited and said it was really nice and of course since she's only fluent in Spanish, she said it'd be a lot more fun for her. I don't think I can change her mind, but I was just curious.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Rather than telling my story again I'll direct you to this thread in the FL Forum where you can read it on post #6.

Naturally, I cannot speak for Homestead specifically since I haven't lived there (but had a cousin living there so I visited once) but then because all of S. FL is like one huge city most of the problems that exist in one area will be found in the others even if the degree is somewhat different.

But I won't deny Homestead and the whole Metro Dade area are the right places for people who only speak Spanish. However, to be honest I cannot agree with your friend's Mom's attitude of "escaping" down there to avoid learning English, which is really the right thing to do since she now lives in this country. And even on a personal level, although she may never become fluent in it, it will really help her to fit in, have job opportunities (if needed), and increase her self-confidence by not being looked down on for keeping herself in a very tiresome but often true stereotype category that also hurts the rest of us. As I see it there is really no excuse (for normal people...) because almost every city has a center where free English classes are given and if not she can always buy "Ingles Sin Barreras" and study at home.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Rather than telling my story again I'll direct you to this thread in the FL Forum where you can read it on post #6.

Naturally, I cannot speak for Homestead specifically since I haven't lived there (but had a cousin living there so I visited once) but then because all of S. FL is like one huge city most of the problems that exist in one area will be found in the others even if the degree is somewhat different.

But I won't deny Homestead and the whole Metro Dade area are the right places for people who only speak Spanish. However, to be honest I cannot agree with your friend's Mom's attitude of "escaping" down there to avoid learning English, which is really the right thing to do since she now lives in this country. And even on a personal level, although she may never become fluent in it, it will really help her to fit in, have job opportunities (if needed), and increase her self-confidence by not being looked down on for keeping herself in a very tiresome but often true stereotype category that also hurts the rest of us. As I see it there is really no excuse (for normal people...) because almost every city has a center where free English classes are given and if not she can always buy "Ingles Sin Barreras" and study at home.
Well, I wouldn't say she's escaping learning English, but she's just really bored with the area and wants to be around people from her culture. Unfortunately, that's lacking in most of NC, especially if you're not in the Triangle or Charlotte. And she understands English, she's been here for a good while, but it's difficult for her to respond. That's about the same issue I have with Spanish, but we can communicate most of the time.

I'm an African American female, so stereotyping is as daily to me as showering. I live my life for me and not for the "mainstream" people out there. I'll never "fit in" enough for some folks and that's fine with me, assimilation has it's limits as far I'm concerned. I just do me. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point