U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,049,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Both Winston-Salem & Greensboro are the principal cities.

Winston-Salem is the wealthiest city in NC & SC per population and has more Arts & Culture than Greensboro. Greensboro is very nice too...so I would not say one is more principal than the other.

You can't do anyhting in W-S that you can't do in GSO and vice versa.

And by the way...neither can even remotely compete with Charlotte and never will be able to...and I LOVE the Triad!
I agree with you about Charlotte. But let's say, your life on the line and you had to choose one of them to be the principal city, which one would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM

109 posts, read 351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I agree with you about Charlotte. But let's say, your life on the line and you had to choose one of them to be the principal city, which one would you choose?
I would choose Winston-Salem because it seems more like a city rather than a suburb. It has several Fortune 500 companies and a major Medical Center University not to exclude the Piedmont Triad Research Park and Dr. Anthony Atala Soldier Institute for Regenerative Medicine that is going to be major in the coming years. Also all of the arts, theaters, UNC school of arts.

I live in Greensboro and it is a nice suburban city, but it does not have the same vibe nor history that Winston-Salem has.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
I would choose Winston-Salem because it seems more like a city rather than a suburb. It has several Fortune 500 companies and a major Medical Center University not to exclude the Piedmont Triad Research Park and Dr. Anthony Atala Soldier Institute for Regenerative Medicine that is going to be major in the coming years. Also all of the arts, theaters, UNC school of arts.

I live in Greensboro and it is a nice suburban city, but it does not have the same vibe nor history that Winston-Salem has.
Which city do you think had more potential to be the next Charlotte between the two?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Which city do you think had more potential to be the next Charlotte between the two?
Personally, I don't think either one has the potential to become the next Charlotte alone. I think if the two largest triad cities work together, their combined efforts could produce the results of a boming area like Charlotte. Greensboro has landed the Fedex Air and ground Hubs, so they are pretty set for future logistical companies while Winston-Salem is developing the Piedmont Triad Research Park with the primary driver being Wake Forest University within their downtown core that is expected to bring 20,000 jobs within the next 20 years. Presently the combined populations of Winston-Salem and Greensboro is larger than Raleigh.

Last edited by Elm&McGee; 12-02-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,860,458 times
I agree that Greensboro is considered the principle city of the region. Like others have said its larger and has the airport but its also the city where all the interstates merge. Not only is Greensboro larger in population but its populational density is larger as well. More people live in a square mile in Greensboro than Winston-Salem. Greensboro has more entertainment, shopping and restaurant options. Both are becoming strong and vibrant cities in different ways but in the end Greensboro gets the prize of being called the principle city. I can understand why some would want to call Winston-Salem the principle city. It has a bigger skyline and slightly bigger downtown and the freeways go through downtown. It has the appearance of being a larger city because of that. Winston-Salem's downtown is really a reflection of its past when at one time Winston-Salem was not only larger than Greensboro but was larger than Charlotte. But I disagree that Greenboro is a big suburb. Greensboro and Winston-Salem will never be like Charlotte just as Charlotte will never be like Greensboro or Winston-Salem because each city has its unique flavor. But I do think in time Greensboro and Winston-Salem will catch up with Charlotte in population and importance. It may take decades but it will happen. All cities reach a plateau where rapid growth slows down and Charlotte will reach its plateau. That will give the Triad cities time to catch up. The Charlotte and Triangle markets will eventually become saturated and too expensive and the Triad will be viewed as "the new frontier" for growth and expansion in North Carolina. The Triad will be the missing piece of the puzzle that ties Charlotte and Raleigh together and developers and companies are starting to realize that now as we see companies such as FedEx, Dell, Levano and Honda Jet move in.

Last edited by gsoboi; 12-02-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,777,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Winston-Salem is the wealthiest city in NC & SC per population
Oh wow, I didnt know that. Why is that? I don't know much about Winston-Salem (really have only been to Old Salem) and I would like to know more.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I agree that Greensboro is considered the principle city of the region. Like others have said its larger and has the airport but its also the city where all the interstates merge. Not only is Greensboro larger in population but its populational density is larger as well. More people live in a square mile in Greensboro than Winston-Salem. Greensboro has more entertainment, shopping and restaurant options. Both are becoming strong and vibrant cities in different ways but in the end Greensboro gets the prize of being called the principle city. I can understand why some would want to call Winston-Salem the principle city. It has a bigger skyline and slightly bigger downtown and the freeways go through downtown. It has the appearance of being a larger city because of that. Winston-Salem's downtown is really a reflection of its past when at one time Winston-Salem was not only larger than Greensboro but was larger than Charlotte. But I disagree that Greenboro is a big suburb. Greensboro and Winston-Salem will never be like Charlotte just as Charlotte will never be like Greensboro or Winston-Salem because each city has its unique flavor. But I do think in time Greensboro and Winston-Salem will catch up with Charlotte in population and importance. It may take decades but it will happen. All cities reach a plateau where rapid growth slows down and Charlotte will reach its plateau. That will give the Triad cities time to catch up. The Charlotte and Triangle markets will eventually become saturated and too expensive and the Triad will be viewed as "the new frontier" for growth and expansion in North Carolina. The Triad will be the missing piece of the puzzle that ties Charlotte and Raleigh together and developers and companies are starting to realize that now as we see companies such as FedEx, Dell, Levano and Honda Jet move in.
Greensboro is only slightly larger in population that Winston-Salem...the cities are roughly the same size. Having lived in both cities, I would say there are more restaurant and entertainment options in W-S, but it's fairly even.

The skyline in W-S is certainly not of the past. There are a handful of newer towers downtown that attest to this, but I would call Greensboro's skyline? more a reflection of the past...and probably the smallest skyline for a city its size in the U.S. Greensboro appears to be all suburban because of the tiny skyline, even though it isn't...but W-S has by far the better urban fabric of the two.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Greensboro is only slightly larger in population that Winston-Salem...the cities are roughly the same size. Having lived in both cities, I would say there are more restaurant and entertainment options in W-S, but it's fairly even.

The skyline in W-S is certainly not of the past. There are a handful of newer towers downtown that attest to this, but I would call Greensboro's skyline? more a reflection of the past...and probably the smallest skyline for a city its size in the U.S. Greensboro appears to be all suburban because of the tiny skyline, even though it isn't...but W-S has by far the better urban fabric of the two.
DeaconJ, you are absolutely correct in your comments. I too have lived in both cities, and all this press that Greensboro gets is over-ratted. Although Greensboro is a nice city, it is way to suburban for my taste. Just because a few night clubs have opened in downtown over the past 5 years many would have you believe that downtown is booming. NOT. I live in downtown Greensboro and I know many business owners, and they are all sturggling. Several restaurants have closed and I know of several more that will be closing in the future. If the clubs closed in downtown Greensboro, it would once again be dead. I have discovered that the restaurants, entertainment, theater, arts in Winston-Salem are way above anything that Greensboro offers. Greensboro's downtown consistis of Elm Street which is a few blocks, whereas downtown Winston, has the restaurants and theaters on 4th, arts district on Trade and clubs and bars on Burke. There is no comparison. The architecture in downtown Winston is far more interesting than anything in downtown Greensboro. Greensboro has torn down alot of it's past, and what they do have leaves very little to be desired for an urban center.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Don't get me wrong...I love Greensboro just as much and I spent some great years there...and graduated from college there too. UNC-G is one of the few walkable areas of Greensboro - Tate St./Spring Garden St/Mendenhall St/Aycock St. I became an adult there...

Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Don't get me wrong...I love Greensboro just as much and I spent some great years there...and graduated from college there too. UNC-G is one of the few walkable areas of Greensboro - Tate St./Spring Garden St/Mendenhall St/Aycock St. I became an adult there...
I agree with you that Greensboro is a nice city. When I was at Norfolk State U, some friends of mine have said that Greensboro was more lively than Charlotte, this was almost 10 years ago. So I am actually surprised to hear of G'boro having a relatively stagnant night life especially considering all of the colleges in the area. I do LOVE Winston-Salem and it is a toss up between it and Raleigh if I were to leave the most wonderful city of Charlotte. But I do question the economic activity of the Triad as a whole and wonder if W-S can be the next big urban thing in NC and recapture its legacy as THE city of NC. I know it will never catch up to Charlotte but can it give Raleigh a run for the money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point