U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM

254 posts, read 825,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
The main difference between Greensboro and Winston-Salem is that in Winston-Salem you have no problem finding the center city because of all of the skyscrappers, but anyone not familiar with Greensboro don't have a clue where downtown Greensboro is located. I live in downtown Greensboro and I have invited friends over before who had no clue where downtown Greensboro was located.
Much of this is due the fact that Greensboro's major highways bypass the central business district, unlike most other cities that were already significant at the time of highway construction. So, many visitors have been through Greensboro dozens of times without ever seeing the skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM

18 posts, read 43,569 times
The great thing about Greensboro and Winston-Salem is that they are located within 30 minutes of each other, with bedroom communities inbetween. I live in Greensboro, but sometimes I go shopping at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem (same stores as at the mall in Greensboro, but I do it anyway). I like to visit Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem and I love to visit Old Salem, especially now, at Christmastime. In Greensboro I love the Arboretum, Battleground Park and Country Park (I frequently exercise there). I think the new shops at Friendly Center are fun, even if it's just for window shopping. Movie theaters in Greensboro and Winston-Salem show the same movies -- you'll have to drive to Chapel Hill for the Sundance-type films, you know what I mean? I don't know much about the bar scene in either city, or the singles scene, since I rarely drink and have been married for years. But I can tell you that Natty Greene's in uptown Greensboro has a lovely variety of beers, good food and a nice pub atmosphere. I'm sure Winston-Salem has any number of good restaurants too. I imagine that in a few years the city limits of each city will continue to creep toward one another. Why should we try to crown one of these cities king? Their similarities far outweigh their differences, in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,047,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycondo View Post
The great thing about Greensboro and Winston-Salem is that they are located within 30 minutes of each other, with bedroom communities inbetween. I live in Greensboro, but sometimes I go shopping at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem (same stores as at the mall in Greensboro, but I do it anyway). I like to visit Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem and I love to visit Old Salem, especially now, at Christmastime. In Greensboro I love the Arboretum, Battleground Park and Country Park (I frequently exercise there). I think the new shops at Friendly Center are fun, even if it's just for window shopping. Movie theaters in Greensboro and Winston-Salem show the same movies -- you'll have to drive to Chapel Hill for the Sundance-type films, you know what I mean? I don't know much about the bar scene in either city, or the singles scene, since I rarely drink and have been married for years. But I can tell you that Natty Greene's in uptown Greensboro has a lovely variety of beers, good food and a nice pub atmosphere. I'm sure Winston-Salem has any number of good restaurants too. I imagine that in a few years the city limits of each city will continue to creep toward one another. Why should we try to crown one of these cities king? Their similarities far outweigh their differences, in my opinion.
I know in reality there is probable little difference between the two. Just for us NCians to kind of debate amongst ourselves. I personally think Winston has an edge but its interesting hearing the case for Greensboro. I think these two share more in common and are more equal than Raleigh-Durham. But any city in NC is the best.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Sometimes I really think we give urban cores too much credit. By far, the most prestigious, intact, historic, compact urban core in the Carolinas is Charleston--that's not even up for debate. Yet which city would most of us say is the principal city of the Carolinas? Charlotte. I know that the urban cores of both cities wasn't the only qualifier in the discussion, but I still think it carried a bit too much weight within the context of this discussion. But even then, let's not discount two very positive developments that have occurred in Greensboro's downtown as of late: the ballpark and Center City Park. They have done much for Greensboro's downtown. So downtown Greensboro is definitely taking positive steps in the right direction.

One advantage that Greensboro has is that even though the interstate doesn't pass through downtown (thank God; a concrete river disturbing the urban fabric of a downtown is not a good thing and was never the original intent of the interstate highway system in the first place), I-85 is a more heavily traveled interstate through the South than I-40 is, so in that respect Greensboro gets more exposure. It also gets more exposure due to its convention facilities. Greensboro pulls conventions and concerts that Charlotte doesn't even get. Having the largest arena in the state certainly has its benefits. And yes, Koury Convention Center is as suburban as they come, but it stays booked. The denomination of my home church has national conventions every year that have anywhere from 3,000-10,000 delegates in attendance. There have been at least three conventions in Greensboro, with another to come in 2010. To my knowledge, not one convention has been in Winston-Salem (or Raleigh for that matter; only one has been in Durham and only one in Charlotte).

As far as the schools go, both cities are about equal in that category as far as a mix of different types of institutions (but we know Winston has Wake Forest; enough said), but I'd have to say that Greensboro has a higher profile when it comes to the HBCUs. NC A&T is simply a more prominent name when it comes to HBCUs, moreso than WSSU, and there's also Bennett. A&T's homecoming is THE HBCU homecoming to attend in NC, and let's not forget about the band.

As far as business profiles go, Winston-Salem does have the higher business profile due to having more white-collar jobs and a larger corporate base, and for that reason, it has what it takes to pull ahead of Greensboro definitively. But we also have to recognize that at one time, Winston-Salem was the largest city in the state, and not only did Charlotte and Raleigh surpass it--so did Greensboro. So Greensboro's less white-collar, more blue-collar job base has done its part. And sometimes I think we undervalue such jobs primarily due to the fact that they don't produce big, shiny, ritzy office towers downtown that are followed by big, shiny, ritzy condo towers. There are people pulling down some serious dough in these manufacturing plants and that goes to quality of life.

In reality, both Greensboro and Winston-Salem are co-principal cities in the Triad, but I'd have to say that overall, Greensboro gets the higher profile as it is bigger (even if only by a few thousand; its name still gets listed first in the metro designation); PTI is located in Guilford County; it has larger convention facilities; and it is located along the prestigious I-85 corridor, giving it direct, easy access to both Charlotte and the Triangle.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,859,648 times
I think as far as a white collar job base, things are turning around for Greensboro. We are seeing this as more tech companies move to Greensboro. The world headquarters of Honda Aircraft Company being in Greensboro is another sign of a transition in Greensboro. Downtown Greensboro, Inc said back in January that a number of big office projects for downtown would be announced this year. One reason, downtown office vacancy is low. Several years ago it was high. Obviously with the current economic situation, any plans out there are put on ice but I have heard of proposal for a new downtown office tower. It will be interesting to see if these projects will move forward in 2009 or 2010. There are also other high-rise proposal that have been put on hold. A Charlotte developer had plans last year to build a 12-story condo-boutique hotel tower downtown. According to sources the project could go up on a parcel of land at the corner of Friendly Ave and Davie Street (diagonally from Center City park) on the Southeast corner. From what I have been told these projects havent been scrapped but developers are waiting til we see improvement in the economy and when banks start lending more money again. So stay tuned folks.

here are some interesting downtown Greensboro numbers: Source (Downtown Greensboro Inc,)

194 — new condominiums and apartments
900-plus — number of businesses
77 — shops and salons
51 — restaurants and clubs
21,000 — employees (Downtown Winston-Salem has 20,000 employees, source: dwsp.org)
5.6 percent — office vacancy rate, the lowest in the region

BTW the 22-story condo-office tower near the airport in Greensboro is still on hold. Triad Tower will be built near the interchange at I-40 and Hwy 68 next to Embassy Suites The tower will have more condos than office space but there is suppose to be a restaurant on the top floor and a public observation deck where people can see all over the Triad and whatch the planes take off. It will probabally be the only spot in the Triad where you can see downtown Greensboro, downtown Winston-Salem and downtown High Point at the same time. The airport area could end up becoming Greensboro's version of Charlotte's South Park.

http://www.triadtower.com/

Last edited by gsoboi; 12-09-2008 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
I briefly lived in Greensboro. I always felt that the national presence of Wake Forest and white-collar job opportunities of Winston-Salem made it more desirable than Greensboro. Regardless, I liked both cities, and Greensboro does have its advantages as well.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM

One note regarding the perception of the Triad by outsiders that I've always found interesting -
In my experience speaking with and lecturing to people all around the country, I've come to an unscientific conclusion that Greensboro is the largest city in the US that no one has heard of. I'm hard-pressed to think of another city of nearly 300,000 people that so few people know about.
Everywhere I go, when I discuss being from Greensboro, I get the same blank stares. In Georgia and Alabama, when I tell people I'm from Greensboro, they stop me, "I thought you were from NC???" Then I must explain that there are Greensboros outside of AL and GA, and that, in fact, MY Greensboro is the largest, by far. In the Dakotas, most people that I met had heard of W-S, but had no clue about G'boro. Charlotte, Raleigh, even W-S, Durham and Chapel Hill, due to such factors as universities and RTP, have national profiles among the average citizenry. But not Greensboro. Even the names of countless bedroom communities of southern CA that have gone from zero to 300k in 30 years are not so unfamiliar to the average Joe. I've always found that interesting.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM

109 posts, read 351,351 times
Personally, I believe that 21,000 office workers in downtown Greensboro is an error. There is no possible way that downtown Greensboro has more office workers than downtown Winston. Gsoboi is know to exagerate facts. All this from someone who calls downtown Greensboro a mini Atlanta. Alot of information that Downtown Greensboro Inc., reports is also somewhat exagerated. Remember Ray Gibbs and the huge development that never materialized. This was all hype and a ploy to try and get others interested in downtown developments. I am extremely familiar with both downtowns and Winston-Salem by far has double the office workers Greensboro has downtown. I happen to use the parking deck across from the AIG building downtown in Greensboro, and it has never been full. In fact it is hardly half full. Downtown Greensboro has 3 small office towers and I know the Lincoln Financial center is not full. So explain to me were the 21,000 office workers are at.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
Personally, I believe that 21,000 office workers in downtown Greensboro is an error. There is no possible way that downtown Greensboro has more office workers than downtown Winston. Gsoboi is know to exagerate facts. All this from someone who calls downtown Greensboro a mini Atlanta. Alot of information that Downtown Greensboro Inc., reports is also somewhat exagerated. Remember Ray Gibbs and the huge development that never materialized. This was all hype and a ploy to try and get others interested in downtown developments. I am extremely familiar with both downtowns and Winston-Salem by far has double the office workers Greensboro has downtown. I happen to use the parking deck across from the AIG building downtown in Greensboro, and it has never been full. In fact it is hardly half full. Downtown Greensboro has 3 small office towers and I know the Lincoln Financial center is not full. So explain to me were the 21,000 office workers are at.
I can't guarantee his numbers, and I also believe the number sounds inflated, but when I was involved with a team back in (I believe) 2006 gathering data for various cities, I am fairly certain that the numbers we had from multiple sources regarding Greensboro all confirmed a TOTAL downtown employment of around 21,000. We didn't actually collect the data, but I've had no question of validity in the past with our sources. I worked for the City while in college, and between us, the county and state/federal offices, even back in the 90s there were more than 2,000 just in gov't jobs downtown. No doubt, that number is probably around 3,000-4,000 now.
(Winston seems to have more, but double? I'd have a hard time beliving that, and I work in downtown W-S.)

Last edited by cohaagen; 12-09-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 AM

109 posts, read 351,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
II work in downtown W-S.)
Really, I work in downtown Winston too. How often are you in downtown Greensboro during lunch hour? Maybe the 21,000 folk in Greensboro bring there lunch. I am not saying they don't have a lunch crowd, but nothing like Winston's lunch crowd. My whole point is that for the past 5 years that I have lived in Greensboro, I have observed alot of exageration about projects coming to the center city, the booming downtown, the possibility of new high rise office buildings that have never materialized. I am somewhat skeptical about any new annoucements I hear about in downtown Greensboro.

Last edited by Elm&McGee; 12-09-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point