Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 21,799 times

Advertisements

Winston-Salem is a fine city, just not for single people. However, I did find a dog park which is great for walking/running/bicycling. Also that recreation area beside The Advent Moravian Church at Clemmonsville Rd. and if you like long walks, the Salem lake has 7 miles of walking trail or bicycling around it that lots of people go to cycle or walk. Let's all go out and exercise other than stay at home and be lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,917 times
That's the point Pinkus, to get outside and do something versus moaning about how bad the city is for singles. With the exception of the top 10 largest cities, there really aren't any places where you have the traditional singles scene (bars, clubs, speed-dating etc.) There are however group recreational activities, volunteering, and the like where one can meet interesting people for dating or friendship in any city with a sizable population. One just has to bury the excuses and do it, because as a friend of mine pointed out...no one is going to come on knock on your door.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM

109 posts, read 389,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I'm not sure I would qualify Greensboro a step above Winston Salem...based on what criteria? That it has a gay bar?
Niceguy I am not aware of the gay bars whether they be in Winston or Greensboro. The quality of life in Greensboro and the ability to make friends is just easier there. I lived in Greensboro for about 5 years and made alot of friends there; however in Winston I cannot make friends. And no, I did not make friends going to a gay bar so get off the gay bar please.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM

236 posts, read 552,693 times
I have lived here for one year and find Winston-Salem boring but do not sit on my but. I get out and exercise on my off days at Salem Lake or Reynolda House. I will be going to the barbeque feast this month. Here is the information: NC Barbecue Society - Events In North Carolina Scroll down the page to find the dates. Official Site of Bowman Gray Racing - Home Bowman Gray Racing Stadium
Here is a list of other places singles will be: Local Event Winston-Salem NC North Carolina + Tickets + Movies + Tours + Festivals - City Guide Volunteers of America Volunteers of America get involved in your community The Garage The Garage 21 and older club Smitty's notes happenings in Winston-Salem Winston Salem, NC Events Guide - City of the Arts, Dining, Entertainment and Community Calendar in Winston Salem, Piedmont Triad, North Carolina, City of Winston-Salem website City of Winston-Salem, NC :: Home Page You will find other activities available in the city. Every year there are hundreds of young people moving here with there families and some for college. We must open doors for activities for young people. Teen activities for ages 15-18 Young adults from 19-21 Adults 22-50. I really like living in North Carolina. I lived in Kentucky for one year and it was not for me. I lived in California for 25 years and enjoyed it. But traffic was horrid, schools are terrible, gangs and drugs are running rapid, crime is high, streets need repair, the cost of living is going up, etc. It will take years for there economy to recover. People are leaving and going to states like, Texas, Washington, Tennessee, Utah, North Carolina, and Arkansas. Yes, I said Arkansas. Whether young or old many are looking for a lower cost of living or second home. For those interested in politics and will be future politicians North Carolina History Project : Fusion Politics. Also study the history of North Carolina and the US. Who knows you might be the one to start a meeting club on political issues. Find something that interest you whether it be the arts, opera, history, politics, homes built in the 1800, oceanics, music, boating, hiking, biking, charities, volunteer, and when you start to meet other singles start a conversation. You will see how it blossoms. Do not leave Winston-Salem as you will be returning in the future. The reason I say this is I read where people leave and then come back. Make the city you live in what you want it to be. Winston-Salem is home to the future generations of young Americans. Visit your city council meetings and voice your opionions. Here is to a new single community in W-S! If you want we can meet at I-Hop one Saturday per month. The great thing about W-S is it sits one hour from Raleigh and Charlotte, four hours from the beach, two hours from VA. There are other cities close by Georgia, Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana, New York, CT, Maryland Missouri, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Tennessee. The airport is about 35 minutes away depending on traffic, transportation center has a bus that will take you where you can ride Amtrak, the Greyhound is also at the transportation center, and the city bus is available. I know I said the other cities are close. I do not mean 30 minute close. But Arkansas is about six to 8 hours away. I like that I have access to other cities in North Carolina by taking the 40 freeway east or west and that I have other means of transportation. As you all might or might not know W-S is somewhat of a small suburian city this being the case means W-S has alot of growing to do. So hang in there.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkus27 View Post
Winston-Salem is a fine city, just not for single people. However, I did find a dog park which is great for walking/running/bicycling. Also that recreation area beside The Advent Moravian Church at Clemmonsville Rd. and if you like long walks, the Salem lake has 7 miles of walking trail or bicycling around it that lots of people go to cycle or walk. Let's all go out and exercise other than stay at home and be lonely.
Winston-Salem is not a place for singles in NC? Just to say that is an understatement. More like the entire state of NC is no place for singles in general (unless you are like the people in any way.) One thing I have encountered here is just how, I don't know, low the majority of the Women are here. I am not trying to be sexist in anyway, but this is what I encounter every time I run into someone down here, and I have even lost count. As soon as they run into you, they strike up some kind of lame, annoying, conversation (all about them and even if you agree and are going through some hard times it is no match.) The topics are numerous, but the one thing that really gets to me is they always have to proceed to talk about problems with past lovers. I am, like: YOU BROKE UP. GET OVER IT. They could have prevented the problem themselves. I just met them for crying out loud. If that's the way they are going to be, then they should give themselves some time before they get into the dating game again. The Nightlife here in NC has to be the most pathetic I have ever seen. It's very cliquey (to make a long story short), and people are just so out of it. The same thing is to be said when you go to a concert. I thought that sort of thing was supposed to be fun. Over here everybody has to have this one-up kind of attitude. I guess it's not for anything that North Carolina cities have been rated for the WORST NIGHTLIFE. Really, if you want to have fun, you have to leave the state.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
I have lived here for one year and find Winston-Salem boring but do not sit on my but. I get out and exercise on my off days at Salem Lake or Reynolda House. I will be going to the barbeque feast this month. Here is the information: NC Barbecue Society - Events In North Carolina Scroll down the page to find the dates. Official Site of Bowman Gray Racing - Home Bowman Gray Racing Stadium
Here is a list of other places singles will be: Local Event Winston-Salem NC North Carolina + Tickets + Movies + Tours + Festivals - City Guide Volunteers of America Volunteers of America get involved in your community The Garage The Garage 21 and older club Smitty's notes happenings in Winston-Salem Winston Salem, NC Events Guide - City of the Arts, Dining, Entertainment and Community Calendar in Winston Salem, Piedmont Triad, North Carolina, City of Winston-Salem website City of Winston-Salem, NC :: Home Page You will find other activities available in the city. Every year there are hundreds of young people moving here with there families and some for college. We must open doors for activities for young people. Teen activities for ages 15-18 Young adults from 19-21 Adults 22-50. I really like living in North Carolina. I lived in Kentucky for one year and it was not for me. I lived in California for 25 years and enjoyed it. But traffic was horrid, schools are terrible, gangs and drugs are running rapid, crime is high, streets need repair, the cost of living is going up, etc. It will take years for there economy to recover. People are leaving and going to states like, Texas, Washington, Tennessee, Utah, North Carolina, and Arkansas. Yes, I said Arkansas. Whether young or old many are looking for a lower cost of living or second home. For those interested in politics and will be future politicians North Carolina History Project : Fusion Politics. Also study the history of North Carolina and the US. Who knows you might be the one to start a meeting club on political issues. Find something that interest you whether it be the arts, opera, history, politics, homes built in the 1800, oceanics, music, boating, hiking, biking, charities, volunteer, and when you start to meet other singles start a conversation. You will see how it blossoms. Do not leave Winston-Salem as you will be returning in the future. The reason I say this is I read where people leave and then come back. Make the city you live in what you want it to be. Winston-Salem is home to the future generations of young Americans. Visit your city council meetings and voice your opionions. Here is to a new single community in W-S! If you want we can meet at I-Hop one Saturday per month. The great thing about W-S is it sits one hour from Raleigh and Charlotte, four hours from the beach, two hours from VA. There are other cities close by Georgia, Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana, New York, CT, Maryland Missouri, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Tennessee. The airport is about 35 minutes away depending on traffic, transportation center has a bus that will take you where you can ride Amtrak, the Greyhound is also at the transportation center, and the city bus is available. I know I said the other cities are close. I do not mean 30 minute close. But Arkansas is about six to 8 hours away. I like that I have access to other cities in North Carolina by taking the 40 freeway east or west and that I have other means of transportation. As you all might or might not know W-S is somewhat of a small suburian city this being the case means W-S has alot of growing to do. So hang in there.

I too have run into the same problem (i.e. I never feel like doing anything down here.) I hear you on Kentucky though. I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to live there (or Indiana.) California is a state I am considering a move to, but I am trying to avoid all the fastest growing states (especially Utah.) Tennessee is nice too. When I finally leave NC, I will do everything in my power never to return to this place (unless it's has anything to do with whatever family I have left.) Good luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
^ You seem like a fun guy to hang out with. I'd much rather hang out with someone like you than to spend time talking to our stupid NC women. Since they're all so dumb and low, smart guys like us can't even carry on a conversation with them. I'll bet your overwhelming presence and aura are just too much for our silly little backwoods North Carolina girls to take, so they get all flustered and embarrassed when they try to talk to you, right? So even if they're not really that dumb, they just stand there dumbfounded at being in the same room with you. Yeah, I know--I get that all the time.

You're probably right, I bet all the girls in California will fall all over you. You can tell by all the blonde hair and fake boob jobs that they're really smart. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM

275 posts, read 396,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
Winston-Salem is not a place for singles in NC? Just to say that is an understatement. More like the entire state of NC is no place for singles in general (unless you are like the people in any way.) ....
..... The same thing is to be said when you go to a concert. I thought that sort of thing was supposed to be fun. Over here everybody has to have this one-up kind of attitude. I guess it's not for anything that North Carolina cities have been rated for the WORST NIGHTLIFE. Really, if you want to have fun, you have to leave the state.
I grew up in NC, spent about 20 years in Florida, and loved back to NC about a year and a half ago. There is much truth in what a few people have said. My family is from near W-S, and I am in that area frequently. I have found W-S to be a social Dead Zone, mainly because I have met few people who share any interests at all.
I am deeply into the underground music scene. I have attended the Heavy Rebel Weekender in W-S for about six years in a row. It's a fine event and people are very friendly. There are some excellent bands like the bo-stevens, but everyone is indeed cliquey. Unless you are a total Rockabilly with tattoos all over you or a hot rod fanatic, you can't have more than just a casual conversation.
The same is true of the state in general. There are some great shows and underground events like the Clockwork Ball. Compared to Florida, people here are much more civil. But I can't say they are any friendlier. For example, I've been going to one event for two years, and I know most of the people there. They will stand and chat with you amiably enough. But if you're not part of the clique, they make it absolutely clear that you are an "outsider". I participate in local ren faires and historical reenactments. These are fun events, and I'm to be able to have activities to do. But while I've met one or two people I occasionally meet up with socially, I can't really say people are any friendlier there either. Socially they are very much "closed. The women are very nice when you are around to lift something heavy, but afterwards you don't exist.
At work, all anyone can talk about is their family or their job. Even the single ones. Talking about your pets qualifies as a deeply personal conversation.
I have found myself meeting people on music and history forums online from other states, and making road trips to hang out with them. When I moved back to NC I never dreamed this would be the case....
Just my two cents. Others mileage may vary.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
I grew up in NC, spent about 20 years in Florida, and loved back to NC about a year and a half ago. There is much truth in what a few people have said. My family is from near W-S, and I am in that area frequently. I have found W-S to be a social Dead Zone, mainly because I have met few people who share any interests at all.
I am deeply into the underground music scene. I have attended the Heavy Rebel Weekender in W-S for about six years in a row. It's a fine event and people are very friendly. There are some excellent bands like the bo-stevens, but everyone is indeed cliquey. Unless you are a total Rockabilly with tattoos all over you or a hot rod fanatic, you can't have more than just a casual conversation.
The same is true of the state in general. There are some great shows and underground events like the Clockwork Ball. Compared to Florida, people here are much more civil. But I can't say they are any friendlier. For example, I've been going to one event for two years, and I know most of the people there. They will stand and chat with you amiably enough. But if you're not part of the clique, they make it absolutely clear that you are an "outsider". I participate in local ren faires and historical reenactments. These are fun events, and I'm to be able to have activities to do. But while I've met one or two people I occasionally meet up with socially, I can't really say people are any friendlier there either. Socially they are very much "closed. The women are very nice when you are around to lift something heavy, but afterwards you don't exist.
At work, all anyone can talk about is their family or their job. Even the single ones. Talking about your pets qualifies as a deeply personal conversation.
I have found myself meeting people on music and history forums online from other states, and making road trips to hang out with them. When I moved back to NC I never dreamed this would be the case....
Just my two cents. Others mileage may vary.
THANK YOU!!!

Everything you said is so true words can't express (especially the last part.) Even if you do share some of the people's interests it's still no match. Everyone will then have this one-up kind of attitude. That is one thing I have also noticed online about people in NC vs. almost any other state out there. On online forums, hardly anybody from NC posts. UIt's like these people want nothing to do if it's not NC (and the ones who leave the state are the worst on the matter.) A lot of times, when I try to make conversation or get to know someone from NC on the internet, it's hard to talk to them. They almost don't add anything to the convo. Kinda makes you realize many people down here don't have friends, and I have had a few come up and tell me personally.

I really get sick and tired of this s*** people down here like to talk about. Those things (i.e. family, sports, and everything related) are okay providing you share them. However, if you don't, you will not fit in. But when you have to hear the same things over and over on a daily basis (especially when you are used to hearing numerous topics) you get to the point in which you want to say something like: ''quit repeating yourselves.'' They even discriminate against you for those things, and I think it's ridiculous. Over the years not fitting in something I have learned to live with and be glad. I never realized just how lucky I was. I also have a hard time just keeping to myself down here. People expect you to say something to them and, if you don't, they take it like you are blowing them away and will bother you even more. Yeah! When you go up to them, they ignore you, but when you are quiet they bother you even more. They are against the fact nobody says ''hi'' to each other anymore down here but they practically killed it themselves.

Up to this point, I am sick of doing things in NC (and it's b/c of each and everything that you just said.) I am not into the same things as you, but I do know what you are talking about and where you are coming from. The more I leave NC and do things in other states and countries, the less I want to be here. For example, there was this one event that goes on (which shall remain nameless.) The people that do it in Raleigh are a bunch of stuck-up morons who think they are number one and the same group of people in Asheville is not much better. It's basically dead and cliquey with people irritating you just by being in your presence. It's like people down here are thinking something unpleasant, your mind senses it, and you feel totally insecure. No offense to anybody but a lot of NC's population seems to be nothing but a bunch of people who only want you to feel their pain (from my personal experience.) Then, many of these people from elsewhere who move down here (and who are too into themselves and/or have never been anywhere) say ''that's everywhere'' when you tell them this, and are contributors to that as well. I can not agree with that expression. It all depends on what they mean by: ''that's everywhere'' but from my personal experience, all the states are different worlds in their own. With Winston-Salem, I can't go there w/o laughing at anybody or anything. It has been years since I was last there, and the last time was hard enough. Tattoos are a real turn-off for me. I am just a little too health conscious nothing more, and many people I run into down here like to drink. The Women down here are just a bunch of self-absorbed gold diggers (but what American Woman isn't) who like to babble about problems with past lovers. I have never had anybody therefore I can't help them. It's just upsetting. One second you think you found true love, then another second you realize otherwise. I really don't like NC for obvious reasons, and, believe me, I am working on moving out. If only it were as easy to just pick up and move, but when you have to do it by yourself (and you are broke), it doesn't make it any easier Good luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 AM

106 posts, read 175,312 times
Wow!!

I am planning on relocating to NC and Winston-Salem was one of the cities I was planning on visiting . Very interesting as I am a single and would like some entertainment, nightlife, socializing in a city. Is Greensboro the same way ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point