U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM

106 posts, read 154,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
We have a decent savings account and I actually had that thought run in my head. I am way too practical and frugal to live off savings; hence one of the reasons I am in Winston-Salem!! We were lured here by affordable housing and now realize owning a decent home with a large yard out in the 'burbs of W-S isn't all that it is cracked up to be. We are seriously thinking about putting our house on the market next spring and just renting until we can find a way out of here. We don't want the house (again the major reason we are here!!) to hold us back. I am looking at this move as a major learning lesson. I need to dream bigger, be a bit more of a risk taker, less scared and live more with heart than my head. Winston-Salem is practical, safe, predictable, tired....

Well I hear you. I wouldn't let a home and/or cost of living keep me in a place where I will be miserable the majority of the time. Any place in mind for your next destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM

109 posts, read 351,570 times
Quote:
We have a decent savings account and I actually had that thought run in my head. I am way too practical and frugal to live off savings; hence one of the reasons I am in Winston-Salem!! We were lured here by affordable housing and now realize owning a decent home with a large yard out in the 'burbs of W-S isn't all that it is cracked up to be. We are seriously thinking about putting our house on the market next spring and just renting until we can find a way out of here. We don't want the house (again the major reason we are here!!) to hold us back. I am looking at this move as a major learning lesson. I need to dream bigger, be a bit more of a risk taker, less scared and live more with heart than my head. Winston-Salem is practical, safe, predictable, tired....
Thats just how I feel. I really hate this place. It is so damn boring here. Singles run. You don't want to move here.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,092,287 times
Hey, just curious...is anyone going to Alive After Five this Thursday? How about Friday Night Jazz? Or maybe Summer on Trade? See, they have bands and street vendors and lots of people milling around. It happens every weekend and it's all free.

Or maybe some of you are planning to go to Music in the Courtyard next to Big Shotz Tavern, or maybe a play at Triad Stage, or the downtown Bubblebration where people stop by at lunchtime to blow bubbles, or Salsa Night at NOMA, or take in a movie at the downtown Indie theater, or see the fireworks at Tanglewood (where you can also swim, fish, golf, ride horses, and much more), or maybe take in a concert by one of the world class performers at the Eastern Music Festival (yeah, I know EMF is mostly in Greensboro, but it's only a 20-minute drive), or take your kids to the Children's World Dance Camp or Fairy Tale Drama Camp or art classes at Sawtooth or the Art Shack, or just hang out at one of the many pubs, bars, coffeehouses or restaurants downtown?

Or are you just going to sit around all weekend and be bored?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hey, just curious...is anyone going to Alive After Five this Thursday? How about Friday Night Jazz? Or maybe Summer on Trade? See, they have bands and street vendors and lots of people milling around. It happens every weekend and it's all free.

Or maybe some of you are planning to go to Music in the Courtyard next to Big Shotz Tavern, or maybe a play at Triad Stage, or the downtown Bubblebration where people stop by at lunchtime to blow bubbles, or Salsa Night at NOMA, or take in a movie at the downtown Indie theater, or see the fireworks at Tanglewood (where you can also swim, fish, golf, ride horses, and much more), or maybe take in a concert by one of the world class performers at the Eastern Music Festival (yeah, I know EMF is mostly in Greensboro, but it's only a 20-minute drive), or take your kids to the Children's World Dance Camp or Fairy Tale Drama Camp or art classes at Sawtooth or the Art Shack, or just hang out at one of the many pubs, bars, coffeehouses or restaurants downtown?

Or are you just going to sit around all weekend and be bored?
Well there you go.....various option for things to do in this city. I think is worth going to a few of the options mentioned above by arbyunc and try to make the best of it. At least will it help keep mind off things a little and make the day/night go a little faster than staying home bored (since it makes our day longer)

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,933,859 times
Quote:
If you dont mind me asking 'Enlighten"...are you finding it hard to network to where you want to move..since you are out of state.... I post a lot in other forums even though I am not a residence. But because I would like to relocate in the near future, I thought it would be a great way of networking. I currently work for a global company in which I thought it would be easy to tranfer,"NOT" It has not been easy to score an interview, much less an offer since I am out of state. I've found it very difficult to make connections without living in town. I am very hesitant to book trips to visit without any interviews lined up, and moving without a job isn't an option...(Not that crazy ) Got any advice that you want to share?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
If you dont mind me asking 'Enlighten"...are you finding it hard to network to where you want to move..since you are out of state.... I post a lot in other forums even though I am not a residence. But because I would like to relocate in the near future, I thought it would be a great way of networking. I currently work for a global company in which I thought it would be easy to tranfer,"NOT" It has not been easy to score an interview, much less an offer since I am out of state. I've found it very difficult to make connections without living in town. I am very hesitant to book trips to visit without any interviews lined up, and moving without a job isn't an option...(Not that crazy ) Got any advice that you want to share?
We are actually experiencing difficulty trying to get a job out of state. My husband recently had a great job interview via Skype and the person was completely honest about their preference being for someone local. She said he was exactly what they were looking for, but would prefer waiting a few more weeks to see if they had a strong local applicant. Unfortunately, they found one!! We are trying to get back home to CA, so I think it is a lot harder in today's job market to find employment out of state. My husband even makes it clear we are from CA in his cover letter & resume and still doesn't seem to be helping. I really don't know what to suggest because we aren't having much luck either. He just received a promotion in W-S yesterday, so it looks like we need to sit tight for a couple more years. We aren't miserable here; we just feel like we are settling. Trust me, we are grateful for our home and job. I realize many people are suffering right now. We go to Tanglewood, Hanging Rock, Trade St., Old Salem, etc. and don't just sit home moping. We just have bigger dreams than Winston-Salem and don't want to get stuck here for years and years.....

Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 AM

240 posts, read 494,424 times
Quote:

I don't blame you. That's what many people who move to NC say (i.e. about the housing.) It's good to know others are feeling the same way. It's easy providing you have sufficient funds. Another thing I dislike about NC is the job market and people's work ethic. Try to hold onto as much of your savings as possible b/c you may never be able to replenish any of those funds if you use them all up. Been there done that

Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
My husband even makes it clear we are from CA in his cover letter & resume and still doesn't seem to be helping. ..
When you say your husband clarifies that he's from CA does he also have his residential address on his resume/cover letter? Not trying to be nosy just trying to see the employers side of view. If so, I think when employers see his residential address being NC vs CA, they probably feel a little intimidated by it. While they're probably looking to fill the postition in a few weeks of hiring someone, they feel this will not be the case with your husband due to the timing process of relocating. About 6 years ago, I was looking into relocating to Florida so before heading down, I applied for jobs online and actually had 3 interviews lined up before heading down. The interviews went quite well and even had one that wanted to make a job offer, however, due to the relocation process time that was going to take me (about a month or so) to get wrap up where I was residing, prior job, kids school, etc... the person did not want to wait that long as they were looking to fill the position within the next 2-3 weeks. Well that wasn't going to work for me so I decided to stay where I resided and wait til my boys were older (which worked out for me since I now have different relocation plans and now have a work at home job that I can actually take where ever I decide to relocate to). Anyway, what I am trying to say is when trying to find an out of state job (this is not always the case but for the most part, the majority of the time) your husband will have to show that he is available to start at the employers request so if the employer wants him to start in 2-3 weeks, that he is able to comply with their request. If this is not the case then I still with you (and your husband) the best of luck in your job search

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM

676 posts, read 2,803,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
When you say your husband clarifies that he's from CA does he also have his residential address on his resume/cover letter?
No, we use our current address. Our parents still live in CA, so I suppose we could use their home address. But, the problem would be listing his current employment history in Winston-Salem. Aggh, I don't know how to make it easier except for selling the house so we can move at the drop of a hat. Our kids are just in preschool and still at the flexible ages to get out of school. I guess what I meant about him making it clear we are from CA when he applies for jobs back home is that we aren't naive to the high cost of living compared to NC. I work in recruitment back in CA and I know out of state applicants would often have sticker shock when looking into housing and often decline our job offers after an extensive interviewing process, etc. I appreciate your support! For now, he just received a local promotion and we feel like this is a good opportunity to make his resume look that much better in a couple of years. We really won't do anything foolish now that we have children. I know if I was single I would have been out of here a long time ago!!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
No, we use our current address. Our parents still live in CA, so I suppose we could use their home address.
This is exactly what I mean... I have provided a link which give you tips in how to make a relocation cover letter stand out. This is actually one of the tips on this link see below. Hope this could be of some help and again, best of luck

Make A Smart Move With Your Relocation Cover Letter

Relocation Cover Letter Secret #2: Consider the use of an alternate address

If you have a friend of relative that lives in your target city, it is possible to use their address on the cover letters and resumes you send out. This eliminates the prejudice against out of town candidates, but might force you to make some rapid travel plans if you are quickly called for the job interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point