U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,259 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job in the Greensboro area and we're trying to decide the best area to live. I've seen a lot posted about the Triad area, but how about the Burlington area? I have a child going into high school and most of the high schools in Alamance county are rated very good as well as the schools located on the west side of Forsyth county. I didn't like the stats for most of Guilford's high schools. Any ideas on this? Also have a child beginning college...wanting to attend community college first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 AM

699 posts, read 2,342,338 times
Burlington is a nice town...It's a good option it you want a smaller city but not a suburb or small town.

I went to school on the west side of W-S in Clemmons, and those schools are rated highly in that report card rating bonanza that they do in N.C. I highly recommend West Forsyth...I loved my high school years there and I got a great education. Page and Grimsley in Greensboro used to be the elite high schools there, but I don't know how they've fared over the years since I lived there. Reynolds High School in W-S is still fine as far as I know, as are Mt. Tabor on the west side of W-S, and East Forsyth in Kernersville.

Elon University is in Burlington...an expensive private school and beautiful campus. But you wanted community colleges...Forsyth Tech and Guilford Tech are both prominent in the Triad. My sister just completed a bio-tech program at Forsyth and got a good job at Targacept in W-S. I graduated from UNC-Greensboro and it was an awesome college experience for me. It's not a huge campus but around 15,000 students...kind of medium-sized. I'm starting to ramble so I'm gonna stop. If I can answer anything for you feel free to ask.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,259 times
Thanks! That was really helpful. How is the area around UNC Greensboro? Is it safe for students to take classes in the evenings? Would it be a safe area to live in while going to school?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,256,714 times
Absolutely! UNCG has, I think, one of the best UNC campuses. It is situated in the middle of neighborhoods of mostly gentrified older homes.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,104 times
Thumbs down Burlington NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Absolutely! UNCG has, I think, one of the best UNC campuses. It is situated in the middle of neighborhoods of mostly gentrified older homes.
Why do people say Burlington is boring..is it just because it is a small town? And no clubs, etc? Is the crime as bad as they say there?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,385,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWRITE View Post
Why do people say Burlington is boring..is it just because it is a small town? And no clubs, etc? Is the crime as bad as they say there?
My wife grew up in Burlington and several in her family still live there. I guess it depends on your definition of "boring". My younger sisters-in-law who grew up there in the 90's said they always had to go to Greensboro to do anything. It does have a couple of nice parks, a small mall, and a YMCA, but that's about it. It's not a bad place to live, just not much to do. The schools in the western part of town (Western Alamance and Williams) are the best. It's a safe, nice-looking town. Great people. Elon is nice, but expensive. When you head east from Greensboro (which is where Burlington is), the housing prices start going up the closer you get to Raleigh and Chapel Hill. So you might would do better in Forsyth County in that sense. But always visit a place first before you move. No matter how good any place is, it's not for everyone. Good luck!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,104 times
Thanks. I appreciate whatever you can tell me about Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point