Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 101,382 times

Advertisements

Hi all: I've researched most of the threads and have a few questions.

I have 2 job opportunities - one in Rochester NY and one in Greensboro NC. If the stars were to align and I were to have my choice I'm trying to get as much info as I can about Greensboro as I've done my homework on Rochester.

I'm from PA and I have a horse. I'm almost 40 and not into bars or nightlife. I'm a workaholic, horseaholic and like rural living - not city.

It seems like Greensboro is a friendly place.

How hot does it get in the summer with humidity? I've done research online but averages don't really tell much the true picture. I hate heat/humidity but we get that in PA in the summer and I just hibernate in my AC. I'm fine with it as long as it's not hot/humid 6 months out of the year.

What about bugs? I know the south has fire ants but it doesn't seem like they've made their way to Greensboro yet.

I've never been to NC other than to drive through but will be coming in Wed night for a Thurs interview. I won't really have much time to check anything out.

Thanks for any insight you can provide

Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM

109 posts, read 387,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHLover7 View Post
Hi all: I've researched most of the threads and have a few questions.

I have 2 job opportunities - one in Rochester NY and one in Greensboro NC. If the stars were to align and I were to have my choice I'm trying to get as much info as I can about Greensboro as I've done my homework on Rochester.

I'm from PA and I have a horse. I'm almost 40 and not into bars or nightlife. I'm a workaholic, horseaholic and like rural living - not city.

It seems like Greensboro is a friendly place. Greensboro is a nice town like any typical southern city.

How hot does it get in the summer with humidity? I've done research online but averages don't really tell much the true picture. I hate heat/humidity but we get that in PA in the summer and I just hibernate in my AC. I'm fine with it as long as it's not hot/humid 6 months out of the year.
Mid December, January and February are the coldest months of usuallly in the teens to 40's .
March and April it begins to warm up to 50's and 60's
May and June temperatures go up to the 80's and sometimes low 90's.
July and August are always the hottest months with highs sometimes reaching 100 and usually always in the 90s. It is very humid during this time.
September is a transition month when we fall back into the 80's
October and November usually have temperatures of 60's and 70's.

What about bugs? I know the south has fire ants but it doesn't seem like they've made their way to Greensboro yet.
We have alot of mosquitos mostly, I am not familiar with rural areas around the city.

I've never been to NC other than to drive through but will be coming in Wed night for a Thurs interview. I won't really have much time to check anything out.

If you like rural living checking out the Pleasant Garden area or if you don't mind a short commute of 20 minutes Randolph County is a nice place with low taxes.

Thanks for any insight you can provide

Christine
Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 PM

254 posts, read 921,783 times
It gets hot here, but the humidity is bearable (usually). I've lived here my entire life and have never gotten used to the heat, but most around here seem most comfortable within a range of 50-80 degrees, and that's what we have for most of the year. If you enjoy PA's coolness, then you may find the Triad warmer, but I doubt that you'll find it unbearable. Although we get quite a few days with humidity spiking, we don't normally see more than a few very humid days at a time. I assume that we get a lot more precipitation, in general, and much less snow than Rochester, if that matters to you. I grew up without AC and was miserable at home when the temp exceeded 75. No amount of open windows and fans could ease that. But now that I've embraced AC, I have 65-degree days year-round and I'm happy (indoors, at least).

You don't need to worry about fire ants here... nasty buggers. We have them on the coast, but not this far inland. Not warm enough, I suppose. I'm not sure how people in Alabama live with them. Lots of mosquitos here, though, but not as big as the ones in the upper midwest.

We're not Brentwood, TN or Lexington, KY, but we have a vibrant enough horse culture of our own, if you know where to look. I don't personally enjoy horses, but I'm sure there are plenty on here who can give input on that front.

How you would enjoy the urban/rural mix and where you might want to look for homes will depend on your occupation. Will you be commuting, etc? Generally, there's no shortage of rural land all around the Triad, and our superlative roads make commutes, for the most part, insignificant.

I don't know how it would compare to Rochester, or, more importantly, how it would stack up against Rochester in terms of what you want. I've never been to Rochester, but I don't think it's much smaller than Greensboro in these post-Rust Belt days. If there are other categories that are important to your decision, let us know.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks so much! I sincerely appreciate the feedback! It sounds like the weather is a lot like my part of PA just warmer for a lot of the year. We have lots of mosquitos in the summer too. Rochester does not but they get 80-100 inches of snow and lots of gloomy grey days. I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) so that's big consideration.

I'm pretty easy to please and pretty boring so safety, quality of life and traffic are probably most important to me. I will commute as I don't want to live in the city. Here it takes an hour to go 18 miles during rush hour!

Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM

There's some greyness here in autumn and winter, but as beautiful as this place is when the weather's pleasant (85% of the time, in my opinion), it's hard to imagine being down-and-out for very long.
Do you know in which part of town the job would be located?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

I'll take 85%

Here's the address

105 Corporate Center Blvd
Greensboro, NC 27408

Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 PM

628 posts, read 2,063,732 times
I don't know if it has been addressed, but Greensboro is not considered a rural area. It's the 3rd largest city in the state. You most likely have to live outside of greensboro if you want a horse to live on the premises with you.
Also, it does get very humid here during the summer. If you are not accustomed to it it can be a bit oppressive.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I don't know if it has been addressed, but Greensboro is not considered a rural area. It's the 3rd largest city in the state. You most likely have to live outside of greensboro if you want a horse to live on the premises with you.
Also, it does get very humid here during the summer. If you are not accustomed to it it can be a bit oppressive.
True, as a whole, but there are many rural areas in this region, even within some city limits. I know people who live within W-S whose nearest neighbors are more than a half-mile away.

Given the Corporate Center Blvd. address, your potential office is just minutes from Summerfield and its environs, where there are many, many horse owners.

The weather might take some getting used to for an outsider, but I've never met anyone from colder climates who was all that bothered by the heat. I hate the summer heat here more than even my acquaintances from Canada. Depends on the person, though. If memory serves, our worst months for humidity are August and September, though the milder temperatures tend to ease the pain. June through August can be harsh, but are seldom so for entire weeks at a time (I'm talking humidity, and not just heat - in my own opinion, it's hot here from April through September). The effect of heat and humidity on anyone depends on their own preferences. I personally think Baltimore and DC have great weather. I find Atlanta to be too humid throughout the summer, and I think central Alabama's humidity in spring and summer is oppressive and unbearable. I've never been in PA, so I don't know what you're accustomed to.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM

273 posts, read 947,067 times
That location is in the northern part of the city, relatively close to the country. It is close to a very nice, albeit expensive section of town, Lake Jeanette. Traffic around there is heavy at rush hour, especially out on battleground ave, but not horrible.

The weather hear is tolerable The summers are hot here and can get humid, but compared to when I lived in Houston, not bad at all. The great thing is you still get 4 seasons like you do up north, but fall and summer are longer and winter is shorter. I grew up in Ohio, so I know what 5 months of grey, cold, ugly weather is like. You typically don't get that here, maybe a couple of days and then clear skies again.

Bugs are not much of an issue, no fire ants like the south, really only ticks and mosquitos. The mosquitos do get bad here when we get lots of rain. The past couple of summers have been pretty dry (two years ago, there were lots of water restrictions and lake running dry). I think we've seen a decent rebound in precipitation, but some areas are still listed as being in a moderate drought. Also, I know a few people who had horses/livestock and had to have straw/hay shipped in because of the drought.

That's about all can think to add, we too are transplants and have enjoyed moving to this area of the country. I can't think of a reason we would want to move other than family, it's a great place to live. Good luck on your upcoming interview and decisions.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks all! Even 3 months of bad heat/humidity is better than 5-6 months of cold/grey weather.

I've been to SC in August and it was pretty oppressive but that's why they invented AC!

I don't need rural farmland as I board my horse just don't want to feel like I'm IN the city. I'm a suburb girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point