U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 33,064 times

Advertisements

We are moving from DC metro area to Greesnboro next June for my work. My wife is very concerned as we have 2 yr old and not fimiliar with the area. So I have few questions.

1. which is a good neighborhood to live in. My work is near UNCG. Shorter the commute, better it is. Upto 10 miles it would be fine. we are looking into buying a place and ready to spend upto 140K. We would like to live in townhome/ single family home.

2. Is there a long waiting perios for pre-school enrollment. We would like to put our daughter in good pre-school.

3. My wife is stay at home for now. She is computer scientist and has expertise in network security area. Is any one aware of such jobs existing in or around Greensboro. When we look online, mostly durham area jobs come up.

4. How is the real estate market overall in the area. Would it be difficult to sell home if we decide to sell the home in next 4-5 yrs and move out.

Thanks in advance. I really liked people when I visited Greensboro. I am going to be very busy with my work. But I also want to pick an area where my wife and daughter can feel safe and enjoy things around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 PM

779 posts, read 2,932,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachida View Post
We are moving from DC metro area to Greesnboro next June for my work. My wife is very concerned as we have 2 yr old and not fimiliar with the area. So I have few questions.

1. which is a good neighborhood to live in. My work is near UNCG. Shorter the commute, better it is. Upto 10 miles it would be fine. we are looking into buying a place and ready to spend upto 140K. We would like to live in townhome/ single family home.

2. Is there a long waiting perios for pre-school enrollment. We would like to put our daughter in good pre-school.

3. My wife is stay at home for now. She is computer scientist and has expertise in network security area. Is any one aware of such jobs existing in or around Greensboro. When we look online, mostly durham area jobs come up.

4. How is the real estate market overall in the area. Would it be difficult to sell home if we decide to sell the home in next 4-5 yrs and move out.

Thanks in advance. I really liked people when I visited Greensboro. I am going to be very busy with my work. But I also want to pick an area where my wife and daughter can feel safe and enjoy things around them.

ANSWERS:
1. That price range is going to be tricky only because people seem to be holding back selling in this market right now, with some exceptions (the 750K class and up). The real estate market in this town seems to swim in waves. There will be a lot of choice, then it will all get gobbled up relatively quick, only to follow with a so-so bubble. Townhomes for that price range should be no problem. It does depend of course on what your wants are. Like, how new or large should the kitchen be? I'm starting to notice here that the older TownHomes' kitchens are built reeeally small, and not updated so well. Having moved from the NOVA area last May, I know what's normal up there. You will find the slower pace refreshing and sometimes it seems like this city is 20 years behind....in the best of ways.

2. School. Apparently, sign up for Preschools are done here in February. There is a lot of hype for the private well-to-do schools, all the way to 12th grade, but they are budging at the seams! Public schools here are just fine, in my opinion. Do a search here for "Preschools Greensboro" to find the past posts on the good ones/bad ones. Do some research, and call ahead. Maybe you can get signed up before you move here? I'm really not sure how it works, our daughter is 3.5 yrs.

3. sorry...n/a! (We're retail and counseling here )

4. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that your guess is as good as anyone else's. But for my personal "feeling" I think this recession/depression is going to last 2-3 years and then will slowly rise, giving way to a newness but improvement in 4-5 years' time. But what we do know is, if you buy a house now, buy smart, think of it in terms of something you will be selling but don't plan on selling for those 3-5 years if you have the choice to do so. Our family is ready for a home with a yard, but we have a TH budget. It's possible. Get a realtor who has been working in real estate for more than 20 years in this area, and I think you will have the best respresentative for history of neighborhoods that way.

*** I like Greensboro so much!! Everytime I think of the DC area and NoVa, I actually shudder at little. It's the traffic, it's the coldness of the people. Sure, folks on the VA and DC forums here will attack you for saying so (which only proves my point), but it happens often enough to everyone that it always comes up, again and again. Thank GOD we got out of there. The Doctors have told me I don't have high blood pressure anymore. I go to the gym now, and it takes me 2 minutes to get there, like anything else in my neighborhood: Harris Teeter, Drugstores, gas, etc.

But you have a lot of older homes here. I say...rent. Rent for a while if you can, get to know the place. And if there is a home you like, visit it when it is dark and when it is raining. I'd wait till spring just to see the foliage, personally. In the wintertime, you can't tell if that huge tree in the front yard is dead! LOL

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM

627 posts, read 1,864,745 times
1) Kirkwood neighborhood, Fairfield Neighborhood, Guilford Hills are all close to UNCG and mostly in that price range. Glenwood neighborhood (which is right next to UNCG), might be tempting for the price and location. But there is crime there and is mostly rental houses.

4) There is not a lot of wing in prices in Greensboro, pretty much stays at 3% appreciation. If you buy in a decent neighborhood in a good location you will always have buyers IMHO.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,577 times
I'm a stay at home mom so not sure on your questions. However have her join the website forum www.triadmommies.com. It is a forum with all the local moms and is great for just moving here with all your questions and getting some friends.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Thank you all for detailed replies. I recently made a scouting trip down to Greensboro. City looked little empty but I think it is OK. I visited few new constructions and few other places and preschools.

I figured out preschool to my satisfaction and it is in the center of city so it should not be issue where we find place to live. I felt most of new constructions were not good quality (no gutters, poor quality windows and no brick covering on foundation). Also heard from realtor that many builders are going out of business.

Areas I liked were around guilford college (27410), some sort of country and golf club (27407) and lenox park (27455). What people think about this areas. Are there other areas you would recommend. I would like to to keep my commute short (~5-6 miles).

I was surprised to find that crime rate in Greensboro is higher than national average. I am also scared with recession/depression in overall economy. I certainly dont want to invest in something and then regret. I will be moving out within 5 years to continue my professional development to some other area, possibly raleigh.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM

138 posts, read 367,463 times
As someone who comes from the DC/NoVA area myself, the first piece of advice I can give you is this: Don't worry about commute distance. You get to just about anywhere in the Triad from anywhere else in about 30 minutes or less, even at rush hour. Now you just need to find an area you like. Personally, where I live in High Point, I purchased a 2300 sq ft home for 130k (Broadstone Villiage Old South Homes). The neighborhood is nice (but far from perfect), schools are okay (not the best or worst in the area), but if you are planning on pre-school or private that doesn't matter.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Can anybody comment about area in 27407 and 27455, I now know that 27410 is good by reading some other posts. thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM

9 posts, read 17,175 times
Avoid the eastside of the city we lived in summit 4 a while and it's not a place you wanna raise kids. We recently moved up to northwind apartments which is kinda northeast and within the past 3 nights we've heard gunfire relatively close to our apartment. Also im not sure if your aware of certain gangs but i can tell you where certain gangs are and what side of the city

Eastside is almost completely crip dominated as far as gangs

Westside seems completely safe so far it's really nice

South side is mostly blood dominated but recently there's been a problem because the bloods are trying to take over the city and being that the crips are there enemies that causes for some problems

Now my biggest problem is the MS-13 is on a fast come up around the city and im not sure if your familiar with them but they can be an extremely violent gang, there weapon of choice is a machette...

DO NOT GET ME WRONG i love this city alot and im not bashing it whatsoever it's just some people liked to be informed of gangs in the areas if they have children but since your kid is young i don't think you have much to worry about. Just stay away from the eastside and i think you'll like the city

Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM

251 posts, read 934,320 times
Nomad336,

There is MS-13 in Greensboro???? Wow.

I am in Northern California---I thought it was mostly a Southern California problem...

Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 PM

779 posts, read 2,932,872 times
Where does one find information on gang-related activities in the Triad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point