U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM

108 posts, read 342,034 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a 30 year old couple and have been married 3 years, no children. We currently rent in Asheboro. We are looking to buy a home. We want to live somewhere and not get shot at everyday. We don't know the triad that well and would like to know from you all, what city you would prefer living in. We want to have access to thing like shopping centers. We only go out from time to time so night life isn't a huge deal. We'd prefer somewhere suburban as we do want to have children in a few years. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM

109 posts, read 351,379 times
Why don't you stay in Asheboro. Sounds like the perfect place for u, since night life is not a necessary and u like the suburbs. Can't get much cheaper than Asheboro and it does have low crime. My favorite Triad city is Winston-Salem because it has soul and a rich history; although Greensboro is a large suburban city with relatively low crime. Greensboro's homes are almost double what you would pay in Asheboro. What price range are you wanting to spend and I will try and point you in the right direction if Greensboro is where u want to live.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
Why don't you stay in Asheboro. Sounds like the perfect place for u, since night life is not a necessary and u like the suburbs. Can't get much cheaper than Asheboro and it does have low crime. My favorite Triad city is Winston-Salem because it has soul and a rich history; although Greensboro is a large suburban city with relatively low crime. Greensboro's homes are almost double what you would pay in Asheboro. What price range are you wanting to spend and I will try and point you in the right direction if Greensboro is where u want to live.
looking at about $100,000

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM

109 posts, read 351,379 times
100,000 won't get u much in Greensboro and definitely not in a good area. If you want to live in a decent area in Greensboro be prepared to spend at least 150,000. 200,000 will definitely get you in a nice area outside of downtown. I sold my townhome in downtown about 1.5 years ago for 212,000 and it was 2 bedrooms with a garage. You might be able to find some older townhomes for around 120 to 140,000; otherwise Asheboro and Randolph county is alot cheaper. Taxes are also high in Greensboro.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM

247 posts, read 916,569 times
I agree. Forget Greensboro. And with that price range you're looking at an iffy area in High Point (plus I wouldn't recommend living there). I would check into Archdale.

I personally like Winston Salem so you may want to check out the northern part of Davidson county (more house for your $ and cheaper taxes).

Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,678 times
You could get a condo in a decent area in Greensboro for that price range.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
You could get a condo in a decent area in Greensboro for that price range.
nah, condos are out we have a dog so we need a yard. but thanx for the tips everybody!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 AM

902 posts, read 3,217,362 times
If kids are in your future, check out the public schools carefully before buying a home. While prices are less, as well as taxes, in surrounding counties, sometimes you get what you pay for in the quality of schools. We know first hand... we lived in southeast Guilford County for about 7 years, and then north/central Randolph County for another 8. There have been a lot of changes in the schools, and not all of it good.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point