Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM

442 posts, read 1,571,447 times

Advertisements

I will potentially be relocating from Florida to NC. What are the best public colleges between Greensboro and Charlotte? I currently attend a community college and I don't have enough credits to transfer to a University yet, so most likely I will be looking to finish the required amount of credits for my AA.

Before you jump to conclusions, I've looked at the City-Data information for both cities and I've searched forums for information regarding the colleges, but didn't come up with much.

I saw that Greensboro College is the public college for the area, and that Central Piedmont Community College is the public college for Charlotte. Are there any others? Which do you think is a better school? According to the City-Data facts, Central Piedmont has a larger full time enrollment (1,000+); however, I'm not sure if that's just for the one campus or all campuses combined??

Are there any other public colleges in the area?
What are the best places to live in the areas near-by to the colleges? We are a couple in our 20s, not necessarily looking to be in the center of Collegeville,USA but close enough to make a reasonable commute to entertainment, night life, restaurants, shopping and the college. Probably a neighborhood or location that's mostly working professionals and families, but also a place where we could meet friends our own age.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 36,423 times
If you are looking for a community college Guilford Technical Community College is the community college for Greensboro. Greensboro College is a private four-year institution.

GTCC has several campuses. Which campus people go to depends on the courses they take and where they live. The main campus is Jamestown which is about 2 miles outside of Greensboro. If you are looking to complete a A.A. pre-liberal arts type of degree you would most likely want to go to the main campus. If so, you would look for places to live on the southwest side of Greensboro to be close to school, shopping, restaurants and not too far from downtown hang outs.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I will potentially be relocating from Florida to NC. What are the best public colleges between Greensboro and Charlotte? I currently attend a community college and I don't have enough credits to transfer to a University yet, so most likely I will be looking to finish the required amount of credits for my AA.

Before you jump to conclusions, I've looked at the City-Data information for both cities and I've searched forums for information regarding the colleges, but didn't come up with much.

I saw that Greensboro College is the public college for the area, and that Central Piedmont Community College is the public college for Charlotte. Are there any others? Which do you think is a better school? According to the City-Data facts, Central Piedmont has a larger full time enrollment (1,000+); however, I'm not sure if that's just for the one campus or all campuses combined??

Are there any other public colleges in the area?
What are the best places to live in the areas near-by to the colleges? We are a couple in our 20s, not necessarily looking to be in the center of Collegeville,USA but close enough to make a reasonable commute to entertainment, night life, restaurants, shopping and the college. Probably a neighborhood or location that's mostly working professionals and families, but also a place where we could meet friends our own age.

Thank you!
Why not just finish your associate degree in Florida? How do you know that your coursework will transfer here? Out of state tuition is very expensive here and the job market is tight. You could go to the official state website and look under education.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:34 PM

109 posts, read 387,747 times
Don't forget about Forsyth Technical Community College in Winston-Salem.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM

442 posts, read 1,571,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Why not just finish your associate degree in Florida? How do you know that your coursework will transfer here? Out of state tuition is very expensive here and the job market is tight. You could go to the official state website and look under education.
My fiance is in NC, so I would be moving to be with him.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM

799 posts, read 3,215,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
Don't forget about Forsyth Technical Community College in Winston-Salem.
Yes, they have a wonderful selection of training in CAREERS, not just education as a generality. I think in these times, that's what's going to matter most.
I'm very close to applying there myself for their Medical or Vascular Sonography program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point