U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 24,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will probably be moving to Greensboro in June 08, and I've researched the schools (high), and it seems that Northwest is the best academically. Assuming this is true, are there better areas than others (subdivisions/neighborhoods) to live within this school district? I'm speaking of crime activity... I've seen a lot of postings on crime and read that Greensboro's crime is higher than the State's average, but I'm hoping this is more within the center of the city (vs the outskirts like I believe is the Northwest area--I think). If this is true (is it true?), this is no different than any big city. For example, I now live in Dayton OH, and crime within the city limits is high, but not where I live. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,370 times
crime statistics are available here- Greensboro Police Department (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Departments/Police/ - broken link)

If you are going for the NW school district, chances are you will be outside the city limits.

You may want to look into the new Northern Guilford school district as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,184 times
It sounds like you have done some good research! My husband and I have 6 children ages 15,12,11,7,5 and 18 months. We have lived in Summerfield for 10 years and we LOVE it! The schools are excellent and the neighborhoods are great. It is only 10-20 minutes to the north west of Greensboro and just a little further to Winston-Salem. It has all the benifits of living in the country and still being within quick access of two larger cities.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 24,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgonmad View Post
It sounds like you have done some good research! My husband and I have 6 children ages 15,12,11,7,5 and 18 months. We have lived in Summerfield for 10 years and we LOVE it! The schools are excellent and the neighborhoods are great. It is only 10-20 minutes to the north west of Greensboro and just a little further to Winston-Salem. It has all the benifits of living in the country and still being within quick access of two larger cities.
Thanks. I had heard that Summerfield was a good area, including Northern High School. My only concern with that area would be that it seems most of the houses are not on public water and sewer. My parents have a house in the country, and they say septic is a pain.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdaeger View Post
Thanks. I had heard that Summerfield was a good area, including Northern High School. My only concern with that area would be that it seems most of the houses are not on public water and sewer. My parents have a house in the country, and they say septic is a pain.
We have lived here 11 years now and have never had any problems nor have any of our neighbors. You do need to have the septic pumped every 2-5 years depending on the size of your family, Which cost about 150-200 dollars, but you never have a water bill, so it equals out. Oh, and BTW our water tastes great! Much better than Greensboro's.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,370 times
Keep in mind that if/when we have an ice storm and we lose power, your well pump won't work unless you have a generator. So in looking for a home in the NW area, try to get one that has a generator hook up on the electrical box and have the generator written into the contract!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgonmad View Post
We have lived here 11 years now and have never had any problems nor have any of our neighbors. You do need to have the septic pumped every 2-5 years depending on the size of your family, Which cost about 150-200 dollars, but you never have a water bill, so it equals out. Oh, and BTW our water tastes great! Much better than Greensboro's.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 15,721 times
I would agree with the Summerfield area. Very family oriented, great NEW state of the art schools (Northern) neighborhoods with large lots...What is your price range?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM

93 posts, read 160,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGEN View Post
I would agree with the Summerfield area. Very family oriented, great NEW state of the art schools (Northern) neighborhoods with large lots...What is your price range?
This sounds very appealing to me. Would 300K-400K budget be able to get us a nice, good size (2500sqft+), house on a 1/2 acre or larger lot? Very interested to know, thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,508,297 times
NW Greensboro is a great area. We were fortunate enough to have our oldest child graduate from NW high and now have been rezoned to another HS in the area and there is a big difference in parental involvment IMO. I think the neighborhoods off of the Lake Brandt Rd area are beautiful and if looking for a private school one is near there. I for one did not opt to send mine to the private school as i felt as long as they were in AP classes they were getting as much as a private school could offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point