U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
Default Construction Loans going to permenant Fin.

I've recently started this painful process and was approved by 4 banks, but with 3 banks the terms weren't good for my situation.Recently, I was approved by Presidential Bank in Charlotte for the 395,000 needed. In addition, they offered a 13,900 interest payment reserve account. The out of pocket costs would be 10% of my lot costs which would be 9,000. then closing costs to the mortgage broker I am using.
The terms are 1% over prime or 7% whichever is higher, so 7% is my rate. I will pay interest only during construction and the home must be complete by the 12th month. Before jumping on this I started to call big mortgage companies as I am concerned due to the current banking/ mortgage environment. I spoke to a gentleman with Wells Fargo who has handled all my previous mortgages. He stated Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac have made changes to all banking institutions as of last week. He stated my permanent financing of the completed construction loan would not be based on the appraised value, but on the cost to build. This poses a problem as I will have to come up with another down payment to cover the either 5% or 10% of the cost to build (in my case cost to build is roughly 395,000).My original thought would be permanent financing would be based on the appraised value which, according to my appraisal would be 480,000. This amount would ensure I could avoid PMI.Now I'm considering walking away completely as the uncertainty of financing the permanent side of the construction loan generates more risk than I am willing to take. Can you offer any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,313,887 times
If you don't an answer here, as the same question at Real Estate Investing: The Creative Investor. There are some sharp people there.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point