U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM

594 posts, read 1,243,441 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a single mom in Florida, and am fed up with the cost of living, and just basically tired of working two jobs. I work for United Health Care, and they have a office in Greensboro. I am going to ask to transfer to Greensboro, but incase that dosent work I would like to see if any one has any other ideas for me as far as employment goes. I am a Claims Adjuster (1 yr experience) for United. I also have 2.5 years of Call Center experience. I would even venture into manufacturing. I am having a hard time getting a good feel for the average pay for these entry level type of jobs in the triad area. I also (currently) work in the mental health field for a non profit. (6 months experience) In the past I have done temp work in manufacturing, construction, and I have 3 years restaurant experience ( all at the age of 22!) So I have a pretty diversified work experience...you name it I have done it. I need to make at least 12/hr, and prefer to work for a company that gives overtime. Is this feasible for me? I have looked on Monster and Triadjobs.com, but with the recession employers are not posting positions on the internet.

Also, what do people do for BEFORE SCHOOL CARE for there kids? I see the local After school program dosen't have a before school?

Are there any racially/culturally mixed neighborhoods? I am biracial and like to live around different types of people. As far as this goes I have heard nothing but good things about Greensboro, I am just double checking!

Thanks for taking time to read my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,200,155 times
I live about 20 miles east of Greensboro. I do know in our area, some of the private schools, including the one I work for, open at 7:30. Not sure about the public schools.

I can't help much with the Greensboro area, but I would strongly suggest that you have a job before you move here. So many companies and mills have gone out of business and there of a lot of people looking for work.

My husband and I moved from Ft. Lauderdale a year and a half ago, but we are retirees so jobs weren't a number one priority. But we do love it here and it worked for us.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Last edited by Catrick; 12-31-2008 at 11:47 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 PM

Thanks Catrick!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,633 times
Try Citi Cards or American Express - both have call centers here, give overtime and would start you out at 12/hr or higher

Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM

thanks so much I will try those two!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

525 posts, read 1,925,120 times
If you currently work for UHC you shouldn't have a problem transferring to the GSBO office. My wife worked there back in the day. Also, with the job experience you have, you will hopefully not have a problem landing something in the area- we're not as bad off as some places.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Update: On my way to DC (for the inauguration) I ventured into Greensboro, just to try to have a mental image of what the city looks like. I was kind of frustrated because I asked several people for directions (I got lost downtown) and no one seemed to be interested in helping me. Please tell me that the majority of the people in the Triad are nice, because I am trying to get away from these rude transplants in Florida! Anyway I drove around the city and it was pretty. It seems like Greensboro is big without being too big. So I put my transfer request in and am hoping for the best. If anyone has any other suggestions about employment I would be open. Also does anyone know if Guilford Tech has an LPN program? Their website is not very user friendly Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM

210 posts, read 446,090 times
From what I understand, any of the community college health care programs in the triad area now have a 1 1/2 year waiting period.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Greensboro has many call centers, some unknown to the public, but you may have to dig deep to find them.
Volvo & APAC are two not mentioned. Volvo provides tech support for its customers & APAC (I think that's the name) is a company that other companies outsource their call centers to.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I have looked everywhere for the Vovlo and APAC jobs, cant find anything. I was basically told by my supervisor that I cant transfer to Greensboro, becuase I am needed in Florida! Its time to sign a lease and I literally can not afford to live here anymore, I have been working two jobs since September! I am so ticked because I want to move sooo bad, but It seems like employment is sparse in G'boro as well! I am not sure what to do, I guess I will end up living in a tiny one bedroom with my daughter as I cant afford anything larger than 600sq feet here! Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point